EU Threatening MS With New Fines

Greetings!
They didn't roll over, the US court found that MS was not a monopoly, just because they own intelectual property just like every other company does not make them one.
Actually, I just finished reading last years DoJ reports on Micorsoft compliances. It could have been written by Microsoft PR Department.
MS is being slammed hard by the EU for the same stuff other companies get away with.
Could you name all those other companies?
I personally think it is wrong for any gov to say a company has to expose their trade secrets.
A government should be able to regulate its national market.
And, tecnhicaly, the European Commision isnt a government.
This article isn't even about MS getting into other markets; it centers around the EU commission trying to assist MS's competitors in the market that they (and you) view MS as dominant in.
It centers with Microsoft using its OS to penetrate in other markets.
Competitors in non-OS markets cant connect properly, ar at all, with a Microsoft OS for servers.
Thats what is whats at stake.
A company that buys a Microsoft OS for its servers also has to get other software from Microsft, because all other competitors cant operate with the Microsft OS.

If you bought a tooth brush from company A and were forced to also buy tooth paste from company A, how would you feel?
And the other tooth paste companies?
I find it amusing that you and others berate MS for using an advantage to penetrate into markets they have no presence in and yet you have no problem with the government mandating that MS give an advantage to their competition in order to help the competition penetrate markets they already have some presence in. Double standard much?
None. Any other company has the dominance Microsoft has.
It cant be compared.

Greetings!Actually, I just finished reading last years DoJ reports on Micorsoft compliances. It could have been written by Microsoft PR Department.
Once again you are stating your opinion.
It centers with Microsoft using its OS to penetrate in other markets.
Competitors in non-OS markets cant connect properly, ar at all, with a Microsoft OS for servers.
Thats what is whats at stake.
A company that buys a Microsoft OS for its servers also has to get other software from Microsft, because all other competitors cant operate with the Microsft OS.

That does not make any sense. What "competitors in non-OS markets" are you referring to? Regardless, there are plenty of software applications that are not produced by MS which work fine on MS or other operating systems, so I am not sure what you're talking about there.
If you bought a tooth brush from company A and were forced to also buy tooth paste from company A, how would you feel?
And the other tooth paste companies?

It cant be compared.
I'm guessing you are either very hairy or use an electric shaver, because this exact scenario is the case for razors. What could the competition possibly do? Oh wait, they make their own damn razor.

None. Any other company has the dominance Microsoft has.
It cant be compared.

I am assuming that you meant to say "No other company"?

It seems to me that many Europeans have dramatically different views on freedom of enterprise than many Americans do. I think it would be hilarious if MS made a "euro" version of windows that included no "monopoly-abusing" programs such as media player or internet explorer. If that were the case the rest of the world would get to sit back and laugh as millions of Europeans were unable to access the internet in the first place to download the browser or media player of their choice. You don't want to use MS products? Use something else, there are plenty of alternatives. I'm posting this message in Firefox and listening to music through winamp.

can someone explain how the EU has any right/power to fine MS..........:confused:

Guns are allowed in the USA, but that doesnt mean you can take your gun with you to Europe.

MS have headquarters in most European countries, like where I live in Denmark they have two big buildings, one in Hellerup and one in Vedbæk, employing more than 1000 people, that makes them a Danish company, it's just called "Microsoft Denmark".

Greetings!
Once again you are stating your opinion.
Is that bad?
What "competitors in non-OS markets" are you referring to?
Regardless, there are plenty of software applications that are not produced by MS which work fine on MS or other operating systems, so I am not sure what you're talking about there.
Software other than Operating Systems. The Exchange Server grip on e-mail, for example.
I'm guessing you are either very hairy or use an electric shaver, because this exact scenario is the case for razors. What could the competition possibly do? Oh wait, they make their own damn razor.
I am hairy and use the descartable razors to shave.
And your example is better than my. There is no interoperability with razors and blades from different companies.
I am assuming that you meant to say "No other company"?
Yep. Why cant I edit my own posts?
It seems to me that many Europeans have dramatically different views on freedom of enterprise than many Americans do.
Its not a European-American difference.
I think it would be hilarious if MS made a "euro" version of windows that included no "monopoly-abusing" programs such as media player or internet explorer.
Actually, I would appreciate an option to uninstall those. And Outlook Express, Movie Maker, ... If possible during Windows installation.
Problem would be Windows Update...

Actually, I would appreciate an option to uninstall those. And Outlook Express, Movie Maker, ... If possible during Windows installation.
Problem would be Windows Update...

Actually, you can uninstall IE, WMP, windows messenger, outlook express and MSN explorer as well as many other pre-installed MS programs. Just go to control panel/add or remove programs/add-remove windows components.:cool:

I am not sure if this can be done during installation.

Greetings!
Actually, you can uninstall IE, WMP, windows messenger, outlook express and MSN explorer as well as many other pre-installed MS programs. Just go to control panel/add or remove programs/add-remove windows components.
I kind of had forgotten about that. Last time I did it, in XP SP0, I had to re-install Windows.
Here is the DoJ forcing Microsoft to hand over proprietary information to its competitors.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/07/microsoft_delay/
Would like to withdraw my comment about the regulatory body in the USA just rolling over.
Also notice that the original ruling in the USA was dated 2001. And Microsoft hasnt yet complied.

Lets see if this bit of information makes [H] front page.

It seems to me that many Europeans have dramatically different views on freedom of enterprise than many Americans do. I think it would be hilarious if MS made a "euro" version of windows that included no "monopoly-abusing" programs such as media player or internet explorer. If that were the case the rest of the world would get to sit back and laugh as millions of Europeans were unable to access the internet in the first place to download the browser or media player of their choice. You don't want to use MS products? Use something else, there are plenty of alternatives. I'm posting this message in Firefox and listening to music through winamp.

They did make one without WMP, it was denoted with the ending -N (it's also available for Vista). Guess what happenned? That's right, it rotted on the shelves.

Back