EU plan to fit cars with speed limiters could be UNSAFE

Master_shake_

Fully [H]
All new cars will be fitted with speed limiters from 2022 under tough EU safety rules.

The Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) black boxes will use GPS to work out what the speed limit is and will then ensure the car doesn't break it.

New models will need to have an ISA fitted as standard within three years after the European Commission approved the legislation.

This will include cars in Britain even if Brexit happens because the UK’s Vehicle Certification Agency said it will still mirror the EU rules.

But AA president Edmund King said the technology could make cars less safe and the 'best speed limiter is the driver’s right foot' when used 'to do the right speed in the right situation'.

'The right speed is often below the speed limit, for example, outside a school with children around, but with ISA there may be a temptation to go at the top speed allowed which may not be appropriate,' he said.

'Sometimes a little speed also helps to keep safe on the road, for example, overtaking a tractor on a country road or joining a motorway.'

11487950-6851299-image-a-5_1553624338234.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/c...atory-speed-limiters-2022-shock-EU-rules.html

oi mate where's your speeding loicense!

this will end terribly. remember that time those 2 hackers disabled the jeep on the highway?

now every car is a potential weapon.

the road to hell...

Thank you EU, my car will be worth millions from 2022!

It will be real fun when the GPS signal is off (like I had it a few days ago) when the GPS was showing me traveling on a rural road (30 kph) parallel to the highway. When I was really going on the highway with 130kph limit.

Or when it detects the highway onramp as having 50kph limit (like 90% of navigation software does) and forces you to merge into 130kmh traffic at 50! We'll be jolly safe.

No wonder these idiots are chauffeured around by drivers, they don't know what is it like to actually commute to work.

Last edited:
Thank you EU, my car will be worth millions from 2022!

It will be real fun when the GPS signal is off (like I had it a few days ago) when the GPS was showing me traveling on a rural road (30 kph) parallel to the highway. When I was really going on the highway with 130kph limit.

Or when it detects the highway onramp as having 50kph limit (like 90% of navigation software does) and forces you to merge into 130kmh traffic at 50! We'll be jolly safe.

No wonder these idiots are chauffeured around by drivers, they don't know what is it like to actually commute to work.

or what about when roads get added/removed, are they expecting these black boxes to be wirelessly updated? lol

or what about when roads get added/removed, are they expecting these black boxes to be wirelessly updated? lol
What if there is a temporary speed restriction at the time of surveying? And who will keep the speed limit database for all roads up to date, constantly? It's completely unfeasible. Europe has millions of miles of road, no database will have the speed limit for all of them up to date.

If this was already implemented, would we still have the Fast and the Furious franchise?

It is only a matter of time before this is done here in the states also. I for one will not be buying any new cars for the foreseeable future. They have too much tech that can be hacked and used against you or the government can have too much control over it.

Ummm.. yeah. I think I'll hold on to my weekend only, mint, AE86. The value inflation might reach a new level from the hated drift-tax to EU-speed-tax.

Imagine you start overtaking a truck - undershift, hit the throttle, EUputer decides you're going too fast, won't let you accelerate; you hit an oncoming car and die.
Ordnung muss sein!
Well by the letter of the law here, you're only allowed to overtake if you can do it with at least a 10 kph speed difference. So if a truck is doing 80 on a 90 road you're not even allowed to overtake it. Of course this is not how it works in reality.

Instead of obsessing on speed they should mandate a system that punishes people who use the bus lane or the lay-by to bypass traffic.

Well by the letter of the law here, you're only allowed to overtake if you can do it with at least a 10 kph speed difference. So if a truck is doing 80 on a 90 road you're not even allowed to overtake it. Of course this is not how it works in reality.

Instead of obsessing on speed they should mandate a system that punishes people who use the bus lane or the lay-by to bypass traffic.

Punish ppl that use the left lane to drive in instead of passing only.
or doent pull over to the right ( even on a one lane street) when you have 3-5 cars ( depending on state) behind you
But TBH from my experience that is way more a US problem than overseas...

its fine if you wanna driver slow. but do it where you are supposed to be

Ahahaha then how will they get their speeding sheckels? Many small parasitic govt agencies rely on this for equipment budgets, fleets etc etc

easy, get rid of all the police you no longer need...bet that'll be their next statement they use to justify this system.

Not remotely.
LOL, so none of the attacks using cars as weapons ever happened? But if we put speed limiters in the cars they become weapons? What the hell are you drinking? It seems potent. There are a dozen things why this is a stupid idea, we don't need to invent more.

LOL, so none of the attacks using cars as weapons ever happened? But if we put speed limiters in the cars they become weapons? What the hell are you drinking? It seems potent. There are a dozen things why this is a stupid idea, we don't need to invent more.

remote as in from a distance.

computerized cars can be REMOTELY hacked. a speed limiter will be tied in to the cars engine computer the same engine computer that controls throttle actuation.

I'm going to get rich off of defeating these little gems! For many years I have specialized myself in defeating these systems (OnStar here in the US for example) while fooling them into thinking they are active as a hobby. This is nothing that can't be fixed with some time, my laptop, and my trusty Fluke 190 SII. Oh, and my contacts over in Japan, China, and a few others when I need boards made. The fact it has to be universal to all makes and models actually makes it easier to defeat.

The only thing this is going to do is make grey area operators like myself a whole shitload of money.

This is just their way of encouraging everyone to ride the train or bus (trolley in en-UK).

Something similar is already in the US.. several insurance companies have a little cellular/gps devices that you plugin to the EBD-II (whatever the service port under the dash is called), and it monitors your driving, specifically your speed. Drive under speed limit, get a 20% insurance discount. Speed, get your car insurance raised to exorbitant prices... Some insurance companies require it. "We only insure good drivers, so you don't pay for everyone elses' accidents.."

Hell, I suspect this type of data has already been farmed out of our cellphones without our knowledge. Certain insurance company - I do a price check for auto insurance - it's triple what I currently pay, and supposed to "save money by switching to us"...

Haha, oh EU, heard something about the interwebs' Article 11 and 13 you passed. You really are trying to hammer down your serfs, aren't you.

Have the EU forgot that the russians are having fun jamming GPS in europe?
Wouldn't doubt they have the blackbox coded to not go over a certain speed if signal is lost.
No free speech no free internet no representation and now your car is a fucking stroller.

If I were in EU I'd probably move to Antartica.
I think the guy from Computing Forever said it, "Fuck the EU".

remote as in from a distance.

computerized cars can be REMOTELY hacked. a speed limiter will be tied in to the cars engine computer the same engine computer that controls throttle actuation.
Cars have been computerized since the late 90s, early 2000s. Every car that has an electronic cruise control has the throttle controlled by the computer. Having a speed limit doesn't make it any easier to hack. And 99% of the cars that have no cruise control nowadays only have it disabled in the software.

Have the EU forgot that the russians are having fun jamming GPS in europe?

Thats why we are making our own GPS system ( Galileo ) so we don't have to rely on obsolete American and Russian / Chinese satellites. and our brave and glorious leaders almost on Kim jong un level have made sure the safety on our system are off the chart, cuz that's the kind of leaders we have.

End sarcasm.

Thats why we are making our own GPS system ( Galileo ) so we don't have to rely on obsolete American and Russian / Chinese satellites. and our brave and glorious leaders almost on Kim jong un level have made sure the safety on our system are off the chart, cuz that's the kind of leaders we have.

End sarcasm.

As I was reading my thoughts were "what the hell is wrong with this.....oh LOL! dang he got me!"

/ me are old enough to read a map and use a compass, so what ever i will be good. :D

I do use GPS for like the last mile navigation to the specific address, the town i can normally find on my own just using brain / eyes and road side signs.
But i am fortunate in that i live in a stamp sized country, or at least the part of it that are stamp sized, if you count our north Atlantic protectorates we are almost bigger than the US.
And up there i would be lost and a human popsicle in minutes i am sure.

Normally GPS are OFF in my phone and tablet i use for NAV.

Last edited:
Next up, maximum rate of acceleration, and remote disable/control of new vehicles by police.

Back