Ethernet Splitter Can't Find?

Crotan

Gawd
Alright well here’s the deal

I can't for the life of me find an Ethernet splitter that has 1 Male connecter to 4 Female connecters

Do these exist I can find 1 male to 2 female but that’s not what im looking for, even 3 female would be ideal but 4 is fine as well

What should I be searching for?

Something simple like this but instead of 2 Female outs 4 or 3

8c52fdb407e8898abb683caa.medium.jpg

Thanks

Every time I've seen one of those...it's been via troubleshooting some problem on an existing network that I inherited...and removing those "RJ-45 splitters" fixed the problem.

I'd take that thing and throw it into the woods.
Then, I'd go into the woods and find it.
And throw it even further into the woods.

The only splitters that work are the kind that send TWO 100mbps connections down the same cable, you still need TWO available ports on the switch. It simply uses the unused pairs for the second 100mbps connection. Doesn't work for gigabit as gigabit uses all 4 pairs.

Splitting also won't work if you have unified cabling in your house, i.e. one cat5 cable to the room and the phone jack is a data/voice jack for rj45 and rj11. The unused data cables in that cat5 get used for voice.

I'm not sure what the hell is in that photo but I can't think of any every day use that would require such a device.

Just do as a previous poster said and get a switch. Or if you need the same output at several ends use a hub.

Like the others have said, you have not been able to find it because it doesn't exist. Ethernet requires 2 pairs. You would need a hub or switch.

alright well the picture was just a simple google image search to show you an example

I'm not connecting it directly to a hub or switch I have an outlet with two ethernet jacks and one has failed and it takes the repair company ages to repair anything and this would just be a temp. fix until they can fix the dead jack. The first jack is currently connected to a comp and 2 way splitter would solve my problem if I only wanted to reconnect the other one with it but I also have a laptop that I would like to connect without stealing a jack from another computer.

Just so you can visualize this its a lab setup with ethernet outlets with two ethernet jacks every 3ft or so

But anyways companies like Belkin sell spliters like that pictured but I was looking for something with 3 or 4 splits instead of the 2 and for the switch solution is what I first thought, but if I connect a swicth/router to the network other users in other rooms will get kicked from the network so im still searching

alright well the picture was just a simple google image search to show you an example

I'm not connecting it directly to a hub or switch I have an outlet with two ethernet jacks and one has failed and it takes the repair company ages to repair anything and this would just be a temp. fix until they can fix the dead jack. The first jack is currently connected to a comp and 2 way splitter would solve my problem if I only wanted to reconnect the other one with it but I also have a laptop that I would like to connect without stealing a jack from another computer.

Just so you can visualize this its a lab setup with ethernet outlets with two ethernet jacks every 3ft or so

But anyways companies like Belkin sell spliters like that pictured but I was looking for something with 3 or 4 splits instead of the 2 and for the switch solution is what I first thought, but if I connect a swicth/router to the network other users in other rooms will get kicked from the network so im still searching

As others have said there are only 4 pairs of wires and to get 10/100 connectivity you need 2 pairs, so a 1 to 2 is the only thing you are going to get, unless you use a Hub, Switch or router (w/switch)

The
if I connect a swicth/router to the network other users in other rooms will get kicked from the network
Doesnt make much sense unless you are running out of DHCP addresses, If that's the case then no matter what you use to split it (hub/switch/Spliter) then you will still be out of addresses. A router doing NAT may work as you could put many clients behind and it would appear as one IP, but I would strongly suggest against that, unless you are the network admin.. you may want to contact your network admin and see if they can release more addresses.

Port security may prevent a hub or switch from being used, but it shouldent affect people other than are connected to that hub or swithc.

Ok well I really have no idea how our server is running so I can't comment on that but looks like I'll be settling for the 1 to 2 splitter, its just that I could have sworn that when a port had failed before which they have done in the past they used a 1 to 4 spliter but oh well

I guess it may have just been a really tiny switch

Thanks for the help

I can't for the life of me find an Ethernet splitter that has 1 Male connecter to 4 Female connecters

Do these exist I can find 1 male to 2 female but that’s not what im looking for, even 3 female would be ideal but 4 is fine as well

Thanks

Most of the time those are for phone line hacks (splitting). I do remember doing that a bit back in the Token-ring days, and I "think" that you could get away with that on 10Bt, but I have to agree with mikeblas on this one.

There are Ethernet splitters, it is just an unpowered hub, and your connection will be half duplex. I have found them at radio shack previously, but if you want more then 2 ports you will have to make them yourself, I don't think I have found any configured for more then that.

Would I recommend using one, HELL NO. It is probably more cost effective to go and buy a cheap switch then use one of these things.

Honestly I could take several feet of wire and some jacks and loop it all together if I wanted to make a splitter for more than 2 computers. But it's definitely not worth the time when a small switch does the job properly.

Since your wire company blows keep a few small switches handy.

Those pair splitters suck complete and total ass on a cold day with chapped lips.

Like the others have said, you have not been able to find it because it doesn't exist. Ethernet requires 2 pairs. You would need a hub or switch.

Man, try explaining to one customer that came into a shop where I used to work that you just can't SPLIT cat5, it just doesn't work like a phoneline. He insisted that he has found some on the internet. I told him, great, and goodluck.

8c52fdb407e8898abb683caa.medium.jpg

Thanks

I think you're probably better off finding a cheap switch on ebay or pricewatch. They're not that expensive.

... but if I connect a swicth/router to the network other users in other rooms will get kicked from the network so im still searching

Try flushing your hardware firewall. If you're using a Cisco PIX 5xx series firewall, use Telnet to get into it and type:

clear xlate

Then all the addresses will be completely flushed from it, and it can begin anew.

Man, try explaining to one customer that came into a shop where I used to work that you just can't SPLIT cat5, it just doesn't work like a phoneline. He insisted that he has found some on the internet. I told him, great, and goodluck.

Ethernet is a bus technology, even in its UTP/STP form. You can create an unpowered hub from wires and RJ45 connectors, but every thing attached will operate in half duplex when you do it, and the signal quality will go to crap leaving it prone to dropping packets.

Ethernet is a bus technology, even in its UTP/STP form. You can create an unpowered hub from wires and RJ45 connectors, but every thing attached will operate in half duplex when you do it, and the signal quality will go to crap leaving it prone to dropping packets.

It will do a lot worse than just dropping packets.

Small switch it is then, any recommendations

Something cheap as it’s just a temporary fix

I've had a Linksys Workgroup Switch for about 7 years before a lightning strike 2 weeks ago destroyed it. Costed me about $170 then, but you can get them at Office Depot for $49 now (the 100mbit version). The gigabit version is probably just as superior for another $30. Since they were out of stock, I picked up a D-Link Gigabit Switch DGS-2205 for $59 and it seems to work just as great as Linksys did (albeit faster peer-to-peer due to being gigabit)

ive m ade a few of these up before, usefull for sending phones over cat5, we only need 1 pair each so saves haveing loads of unused wiring, i normall do it on a patch pannel so one port has all 4 then the 4 pairs go off to seperate ports

Back