Ethernet port dies when printing

Eiolon

Gawd
I have a Dell Precision laptop running Windows 7. Suddenly in the last week, whenever I print, the Ethernet port on the laptop dies. It has zero link light and it shows that the cable is unplugged. The key to fix is to remove the print job from the queue, reboot the printer and then suddenly I have connectivity again.

This happens when printing to ANY printer that is network-based (not USB) but affecting just this single laptop. I have checked for things like IP conflicts, but not sure why the Ethernet port itself would be killed for that even if it existed.

whats it connected to? any chance the cisco switch is putting it in error disable state?

It is connected to a 2960, though it did not become disabled on the switch. As part of troubleshooting I did connect it to an unmanaged switch with just a printer connected and it kept dying when sending the job.

Other computers print fine. Most are the exact same model. We have been using these laptops for a couple of years now. It just suddenly started happening. My next step I guess will be to do a clean install of Windows because I need to update them to Windows 10 any ways.

Back