Ethernet Out After Power Outage

Jerec

Weaksauce
The problem is the Ethernet port on my motherboard doesn't appear to be working. Windows doesn't seem to recognise any connection when the cable is plugged into the computer and router; the router's corresponding switch port light doesn't light up either.

The adapter is still listed in Windows and ipconfig seems to still see it.

The circuit breaker for my room did seem to get tripped, so I have a feeling the port might have gotten fried, but the router is perfectly fine (and all of its switch ports still work with my laptop) and the computer, aside from the Ethernet port, is still fine.

Connecting to the router via wireless, but I really liked having a Gigabit co nnection to the router, so I'd like to get some responses before I consider buying a NIC.

certainly possible the NIC port died. I had that happen on my old machine. The other NIC port on the mobo still worked, though.

'bout the only thing left really would be to replace the patch cable, although doubtful that would make a difference (I don't see where you said you tried a different patch cable for shits and gigles)

TBH, I think you just answered your own question.

you could try disabling and re-enabling it in device mangler or even un installing and re installing it via device mangler, may even be worth disabling and enabling it in the BIOS (assuming it`s onboard), but chances are, it`s gone to the big NIC party in the sky!

Sorry dude!

Yeah, I tried different cables too.

What pisses me off a bit more is this happened to my last computer too, although that time, the router also got taken out too.

May be time to invest in a UPS or, at the very least, a surge protector.:)

I do have everything going through a surge suppressor. However, I have a feeling whatever killed it went through the coaxial cable.

I live in Colorado and for a long time we were having power outages like 2 times a week. Same thing like what you experiencing, then I opened up my case and really looked hard at the port area. Sure enough, a small little burn area in a corner.

Like others said here, we feel your pain.

I recall hearing stories of similar things happening with cable internet. In the case I heard, the house was struck by lightning, and the electrical charge was determined to have run through the coax. I'm fairly certain there are inline surge protectors for coax you can buy, you may want to invest in one of those as well.

I recall hearing stories of similar things happening with cable internet. In the case I heard, the house was struck by lightning, and the electrical charge was determined to have run through the coax. I'm fairly certain there are inline surge protectors for coax you can buy, you may want to invest in one of those as well.

Make sure you get the correct one tho, if you put a sg protector on a cable modem, the speed goes down or you loose connectivity at times, they are one way only devices and a modem needs bi-directional.

Some of those monster power bars are the worst thing to use :(

Some of those monster everythings are the worst to use :D

agree, overpriced.

WHen i worked at futureshop, a 2' cable from monster was 129.99, cost for the store 22$ ( monster of course )

MARKUP HOGG!!!

I was in radioshack ( the source ) one day and this older guy was buying a zenith dvd player, the sales guy was trying to get him to buy a monster premium cable for $149.99 ( dvd player 29.99) The sales guy insisted that it was the best cable to buy and the one that would make the player look and work the best.

I stepped in and said sir, yuo don't need a monster hdmi cable at 150$ for your 30$ dvd player, if the guy says you have to have it, go to walmart buy your dvd player there and buy the cheapest hdmi cable you could find, it will work perfectly, even told the older guy if he needed help to call me gave him my number.

The sales guy wasnt happy at all! I said to him after. Its people like you who rip older people off because they are not knowledgeable about these things, it makes me sick.

I could see the sales guy selling a 300$ blue ray player and maybe trying to sell a 50-60$ cable but that never works that way! They gouge ya,, few weeks later, guess what was on the news. Huge complaints against hdmi and over priced cables, they brought in a techie guy on the news and explained to customers that they don't need over priced hdmi cables.

NOW that being said, when you go past 6feet, it's always better to buy a decent shielded cable. ( not the over priced monster ones )

Back