Ethernet only works while using vpn. Wifi and other devices unaffected.

Jakeeer

n00b
Recently I upgraded my lan drivers. Doing so essentislly broke my Ethernet. Some webpages worked, others would hang. For example youtube would work briefly then time out completely. Parts of websites load... That type of thing. But the majority of websites wouldnt load at all. My download speeds (~1gbps) are unaffected. So obviously I rolled back my LAN drivers. It fixed the problem for a couple days but then suddenly it broke again. At that point in time I was on windows 10 with a Strix B550i gaming mobo, a 3070ti, r5600x, and gskill ddr4. Additionally, at this time I had also been getting a ton of events at every boot saying my network drivers were missing or corrupted as well as events pointing to a power-related issue with my cpu. (I had been getting these for a while actually.)

Note: as the title says, every other pc and device in my house works fine including the ones comnected via ethernet. Additionally, using wifi works fine on my cpmputer works fine. And as I said, even with broken ethernet my download speeds are normal.

I tried a different ethernet cable and a different port on my router. I reset my bios settings and factory reset my router. Nada.

I decided to buy a new motherboard and an intel processor thinking maybe these power-related events were causing my NIC to act up. So I picked up an aorus B660i pro ddr4 board and an Intel i13600k from microcenter. I dropped them in and booted up my pc. Luckily windows actually booted fine, just needed to download chipset drivers. I immediately checked event viewer and to my horror, I had the same events for my NIC and cpu. (The cpu ones looked a tad different on Intel as opposed to AMD, but they were the same.) And the fucking ethernet problem was still there!! Wtf?

I then did a full raging clean re-install of windows 10 with my new mobo drivers downloaded on a usb drive. I waited for it to install, booted, and bam. Same fucking events right off the bat, snd the same fucking network problems! I Installed all my drivers, restarted pc, and same shit...

Then I started swapping out every piece in my goddamm build. I swapped my 750w bronze psu for my older 600w one as well as my 3070 for my RX580. Booted. Same events, same fucking ethernet problem. Then I swapped out my ram. No change. Then I threw in my old m2 drive that was my C drive for Windows 11 on my old build (it's the same license as the one in my current build) Luckily it booted up fine but had the windows watermark, but it was enough for me to test my network with the new motherboard and cpu on a new drive running Windows 11 instead of 10. Same events. Same ethernet problem.

What's fucking stupid is since it's now an unlicensed windows that was linked to my microsoft email, it literally required me internet access just to sign in to my user. For that purpose the ethernet worked perfectly fine! I can sign in to my microsoft account and go do the Ookala speed test perfectly fine but nothing else loads. Additionally, I am currently doing a clean re-install of Windows and it downloaded Windows via the cloud on ethernet just fine!!! But nothing else fucking works!!

Okay...

I just downloaded a vpn and when it's on my ethernet works fine. As soon as I turn it off I can't load any webpages. I have no fucking clue what this means. I tried flushing my DNS which made my internet work for like 5 seconds. It's hard to tell; like I said some websites seem to always load such as Ookala speed test.

I tried logging into my router to check my DNS server but it looks like my isp hides it. (It just says 192.168.1.1). Next week Im gonna call and ask them which server im on and ask them to change it. I dont know shit about networking. Just been learning as I go. I probably should have checked my DNS sooner but I really thought this was a hardware/power problem initially!

Any help with this? Im pretty fucking stumped at this point! Im currently doing the windows 11 install of my old drive with the new mobo/cpu to see if it helps.

Man, I can tell you're pissed. :eek: This is why you don't try to fix things if they're not broken. And I wish you would have posted here first before messing with all that hardware. :(

Since others on your network have no issues, it's definitely your system, but I don't think it's hardware. How can we confirm? Boot up a linux live cd/usb (almost anything will be fine just so long as it recognizes your network cards), and let's try there. If everything works there, then hardware is a-okay and windows is messed up.

You've tried bare windows installs, but let's take it a step further--install windows 7/8 if there's driver support. If one of these work, we know it's only a win10 issue.

One oddball thing it could be is something with your isp router--have you rebooted it yet? I would try this before the win7/8 install.

That's all I can think of for now. Try these things and report back and we'll help get you sorted. (y)

Man, I can tell you're pissed. :eek: This is why you don't try to fix things if they're not broken. And I wish you would have posted here first before messing with all that hardware. :(

Since others on your network have no issues, it's definitely your system, but I don't think it's hardware. How can we confirm? Boot up a linux live cd/usb (almost anything will be fine just so long as it recognizes your network cards), and let's try there. If everything works there, then hardware is a-okay and windows is messed up.

You've tried bare windows installs, but let's take it a step further--install windows 7/8 if there's driver support. If one of these work, we know it's only a win10 issue.

One oddball thing it could be is something with your isp router--have you rebooted it yet? I would try this before the win7/8 install.

That's all I can think of for now. Try these things and report back and we'll help get you sorted. (y)
Hey thanks for the response. I did have a reason to update my LAN drivers. I have been having stuttering and lag in a game and someone told me updating their LAN drivers fixed it but ya...

Ive run linux before I can get that up and running no problem... I will test that.

As for Win 7, is there a legit way of getting that nowadays?

And yes I have rebooted my router. Both from signing in to it and the OG way of pulling the plug. I will however try it again post all these hardware changes.

Damn I already have an update for ya. I finished installing my drivers. I restarted my pc signed in. Went to test my internet and the moment i plugged in my ethernet cable I got blue screened. "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK" bugcheck 0x00000139

Sorry for all the posts, im gonna try linux and then reply with what the state of my internet is.

are there any additional apps installed aka security stuff....browser add ons, AV software that filters stuff, etc,

are there any additional apps installed aka security stuff....browser add ons, AV software that filters stuff, etc,
On this set up there's the Aprus driver installer that also lets you install crap like Norton. But I only installed the drivers with it. Only other thing is a popup for eset but it isn't installed. And thats exclusive to this hard drive. The previous drive had no software installed. Just windows and firefox.

Have you tried manually entering DNS in network settings, e.g. 9.9.9.9?

Any chance you or the drivers you installed have enabled jumbo frames or changed the MTU? I ask this because you said the VPN worked and often VPN "adapters" have the MTU default set to <=1450 to offset headers.

I ended up getting my internet to work again. What I did to fix it? I couldnt tell you. I ran Linux on a flash drive and the internet worked fine there so I booted back into Windows and it suddenly worked again. It's been working for a couple weeks now.

Something else, I have been having an issue with an online game that has this weird lag/stutter problem (This was the reason I updated my LAN drives in the first place, which is what caused my internet to break) but Im going to make a new post for it since it isnt directly related.

Hey thanks for the response. I did have a reason to update my LAN drivers. I have been having stuttering and lag in a game and someone told me updating their LAN drivers fixed it but ya...

Ive run linux before I can get that up and running no problem... I will test that.

As for Win 7, is there a legit way of getting that nowadays?

And yes I have rebooted my router. Both from signing in to it and the OG way of pulling the plug. I will however try it again post all these hardware changes.
I don't know how I missed your reply. Unless that 'someone' knows what they're talking about, I wouldn't mess with anything without some research first--lotsa wannabes out there.

You don't even have to set up linux if you just boot up a live cd/usb--should take like 10 minutes to try it out.

I believe you can get the iso somewhere and just install it without any issues. Remember, the idea here is to rule out an edge case issue with just win10.

Got it on the router. Doesn't completely absolve it, but helps that you've tried all this.

Damn I already have an update for ya. I finished installing my drivers. I restarted my pc signed in. Went to test my internet and the moment i plugged in my ethernet cable I got blue screened. "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK" bugcheck 0x00000139
Super odd--means it's failing right at link recognition. :eek:

I ended up getting my internet to work again. What I did to fix it? I couldnt tell you. I ran Linux on a flash drive and the internet worked fine there so I booted back into Windows and it suddenly worked again. It's been working for a couple weeks now.

Something else, I have been having an issue with an online game that has this weird lag/stutter problem (This was the reason I updated my LAN drives in the first place, which is what caused my internet to break) but Im going to make a new post for it since it isnt directly related.
Super strange, but glad you got it working!

I don't know how I missed your reply. Unless that 'someone' knows what they're talking about, I wouldn't mess with anything without some research first--lotsa wannabes out there.

You don't even have to set up linux if you just boot up a live cd/usb--should take like 10 minutes to try it out.

I believe you can get the iso somewhere and just install it without any issues. Remember, the idea here is to rule out an edge case issue with just win10.

Got it on the router. Doesn't completely absolve it, but helps that you've tried all this.
All good. Thanks for the help. Made another post for my other issue if you care to look into it lol.

Back