Ethernet/Multi Port wall jacks

mpic92

Limp Gawd
Where is a good place to purchase wall jacks and the plates?

Does having an Ethernet jack in the wall slow down the connection at all? Is it any slower than running the cable straight to the computer/device using it?

Yup, I second the post above...

I just got finished wiring most of my house... I used Leviton 6-port jacks from Home Depot... I still have a few left over but I've added 2 more ports since I decided I was "done" the first time, so I'm sure I'll probably find a way to make another few jacks.... As for the reason behind the 6-port jacks, I ran 6 wires: two ethernet, 2 phone (on CAT5e) and 2 RG-6Q....

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

If you want to pay twice as much as the jacks SHOULD cost then by all means go to Home Depot :)
I would call up an electrical supply house. Wallplates aren't as pricey at HD though.

If you want to pay twice as much as the jacks SHOULD cost then by all means go to Home Depot :)
I would call up an electrical supply house. Wallplates aren't as pricey at HD though.

I actually did all of the low voltage in a new house I finished building in October (130+ drops of Cat5e, RG6, and 4 conductor 14AWG speaker cable for whole house audio) and the price difference between Home Depot (Leviton Jacks) and some of the local supply houses (Pass & Seymour Jacks, etc.) was not that great.

I decided that the added convenience of a store that is actually open every day of the week in the event I ran out and needed more was worth the extra cost.

I get Leviton jacks for much cheaper through the supply houses. 3 bucks versus 5 or 6.

monoprice.com has all the stuff you need. I got wall jacks on HD once before i looked online and saw how much cheap they are else where.

I get Leviton jacks for much cheaper through the supply houses. 3 bucks versus 5 or 6.

If I recall correctly, I bought the bulk packs (25 White Cat5e) and it worked out to about $3.50 each. If you buy them one at a time you get killed as the price does indeed jump to around $5.00 each. Like I said, It was worth it for me due to the convenience since there is a Home Depot 2 miles from my house and the only supply house that carried Leviton was farther away than I cared to drive...

As far as the cabling went, I did order that from a supply house, which worked out to be much cheaper at roughly half the price of Home Depot...

If i were you, and considering that many jacks, I'd make sure to include some type of patch panel as well. Straight rj45's made by hand aren't that reliable over the years IMO. That may just be because i've seen some really bad ones.

I agree that for convenience HD is the way to go. However, I do work at a local hardware store at home, so that's a whole different argument :) Most of the time I despise Home Depot with a passion...

If i were you, and considering that many jacks, I'd make sure to include some type of patch panel as well. Straight rj45's made by hand aren't that reliable over the years IMO. That may just be because i've seen some really bad ones.

You just have to do it right... but thats speaking from building them as part of a job for a while...

I had enough cables thrown back at me with the ends cut off to know how to do it right now ;)

Same here. In my networking class at Toledo, we all made cables..all the ones that don't work, I get to fix :) That's what having experience gets you :p

Back