ethernet cable vs usb

smith94672

Limp Gawd
Hi. I have a DSL connection at home, with 3 mbps downstream and 768 kbs upstream. Sometimes I play fast-paced 3D games and work with large powerpoint presentations online.

My DSL modem offers a connection to my system via an ethernet or a usb cable. I know there's a usb 1.1 and usb 2.0 standard but I suspect this modem offers a usb 2.0 connection because it's a 2004 model. ( correct me if I'm wrong ).

Would there be a difference in online performance between the two types of connection?

I'm thinking there really shouldn't be any because either connection has transfer speeds that easily exceeds my broadband capability

Use ethernet. It usually has less CPU overhead. Personaly I would pick up a basic router and have it do the login stuff as it adds an extra layer of protection unless you modem has a router built in.

swatbat said:
Use ethernet. It usually has less CPU overhead. Personaly I would pick up a basic router and have it do the login stuff as it adds an extra layer of protection unless you modem has a router built in.

But would there strictly be a difference in terms of connection speed between ethernet and usb cables?

I am not concerned about CPU overhead and router-assisted protection.

Thanks in advance

One of the reasons for having a router connected via Ethernet is that its more secure.
The router cant be hacked as easily via ethernet so its firewall is more robust when not directly connected via USB.
I dont advise using USB if you dont have to.

It is also faster to get connected using an Ethernet modem as its on and waiting for you.
A USB modem will connect when you tell it to and isnt immediate.

The speeds should be the same if the modem driver is well optimised.

Chernobyl1 said:
One of the reasons for having a router connected via Ethernet is that its more secure.
The router cant be hacked as easily via ethernet so its firewall is more robust when not directly connected via USB.
I dont advise using USB if you dont have to.

It is also faster to get connected using an Ethernet modem as its on and waiting for you.
A USB modem will connect when you tell it to and isnt immediate.

Well, the OP never states whether the modem does in fact have a NAT firewall built in, and implies he is not using a router.

If this is a PPOE connection configured to use windows to dial, then it doesn't matter whether you're using USB or ethernet: the connection will not be persistant and will rely on the windows connectoid. In either case the demand dial sequence may take longer or shorter depending on how fast you get a response from the authentication server. Both the USB and ethernet devices can be configured to sleep to save power or to stay on at all times for immediate access.

To the OP: the first point about the USB and cpu utilization is probably the most important thing considering you use your connection for gaming. In my experience USB network connection drivers under windows are a bit iffy, and ethernet was built for networking, so ethernet should be the choice if possible.

I would also consider investing in a router, because it isn't the best idea to have a windows machine plugged directly to a public network connection, firewall or not.

thedude42 said:
Well, the OP never states whether the modem does in fact have a NAT firewall built in, and implies he is not using a router.

I would also consider investing in a router, because it isn't the best idea to have a windows machine plugged directly to a public network connection, firewall or not.

I don't remember anymore but I think my DSL modem does have a NAT firewall, with some certain ports opened for gaming.

Regardless, I don't think the possibility of viruses/hacks ( overblown by the media ) justifies the hassles of having a router. This system is for home use and I don't open e-mail attachments from unknown senders. I don't ever download exe files eithers. I also have Kerio personal firewall, Google Toolbar, Adaware, and Norton Antivirus, which I update regularly. I know that there are countless ways to get infected or hacked and there's no way to be completely safe even with all the protection hardwares and programs but I consider my online lifestyle to be in the low-risk zone.

Also, it always felt good being online with my system connected directly to my modem. Online connections using routers usually didn't feel as smooth.

Then again, I have very limited experience and rarely meet people who are into computers.

Get the router. Once you get one you will never go back... even if you only have one computer :)

sorry to say, but if you have broadband, and no router, your an idiot. do yourself a favor and get a router, even if it just one of the crappy 10 dollar ones...

Back