Ethernet and wireless router recommendations?

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
My girlfriend and I are upgrading our cable and Internet service with Time Warner. We're getting the Digital Cable package with 7.0Mbps Road Runner. We're using a consumer ethernet router, a Netgear RP614 from 2001 or 2002. I know it isn't built for many connections, so I'd like to upgrade it to take full advantage of our connection.

I like to game, so speed matters there. I don't download torrents much. I think the last one I downloaded was NIN's Ghost album, or maybe OpenOffice. Of course, I'd like to download stuff as fast as possible, and uTorrent sometimes drowns my router and it has to be reset. I'll probably also set up a file server eventually, or at least set up a network between my computer and my girlfriend's laptop.

Which brings me to also wanting a wireless router recommendation. My girlfriend has a Dell 1520, which I believe supports 802.11b/g only. She wouldn't need anything impressive. Her Internet use is pretty basic.

I'd like to keep both units to $100 each or less.

Why not get a single unit that has both Ethernet and wireless? There are several that have both GbE and wireless n for under $200. I bought one on sale for $94 (D-Link DGL-4300) that was cheaper than a comparable GbE-only router.

I wouldn't recommend the DGL-4300 if you want to get statistics off the thing with a program - it doesn't have any easy way to access the data.

I dunno. I tend to pass over combination units, but I'd definitely be open to it if the unit is stellar in both areas. Have a recommendation?

I Would check into SMC, we use them at work for all our customers. <Works for a Wireless ISP> We have had great sucess with them

I'd recommend the Linksys WRT54GL series of routers.

They fully support third party firmware and I'd strongly recommend DD-WRT. With this package you get a 600+ dollar wireless router configuration and setup firmware along with ethernet ports for around 60 bucks.

What is this tomato firmware? The WRT54GL looks promising, but the D-Link DIR-655 uses Wireless N with support for B and G, which would be nice in case one or both of us get a laptop with 802.11/n.

I would recommend perusing the router recommendations sticky.

Also, I would recommend staying away from the WRT54x series. They are a platform that is older than dirt and can't provide the performance that a newer model does.

I have had good luck with teh D-Link DIR615/625 series for home users.

I've looked at the sticky. It has the DIR-655 on a pedestal, and it seems its merited. Seeing if anyone has any other recommendations or reason not to get it.

Back