Ethernet activity light on/off/on/off

tgabe213

2[H]4U
All of a sudden I can't connect with a cable to my router to get on the internet. The most activity it shows it Limitied/No Connectivity, or the red X that it isn't working. I have to connect wirelessly. I know it isn't the ports on the router because it did the same thing, with a new cable, in a different cable on the router. I also tried connecting directly to the modem, same issue.

Ideas?

If you're getting a red x icon, it sounds like physical connectivity is dropping. Usually that icon will be associated with "Network Cable Unplugged". If you're experiencing this with both the modem standalone, and a router, process of elimination makes me point at the NIC possibly being faulty if it's switching back and forth between "Limited or No Connectivity" and "Network Cable Unplugged" on both router and modem. Do you have another wired NIC you can try? Is this a desktop or a laptop? Could be something a driver for the NIC might help with, or a BIOS flash if it's an onboard nic, but it's a 50/50 shot on that.

When you say "all of a sudden", you mean you had it working earlier and it just suddenly disconnected? Or have you never connected the machine by wire before?

Is the router set up to give you and IP (DHCP) or not? If not did you assign yourself one and put the router's IP in the Default Gateway field?

It's a desktop. For a few months, I had it connected wirelessly. Then, not too long ago, I moved the modem and router in here and have been connected with the wire. I disabled the wireless adapter to make sure I was connecting with the cable. It was working fine for a while, etc. Then a few days ago, my connection just dropped (I think maybe after a reboot), and I can't connect with the cable anymore.

Just disabled the wireless, and enabled the port again. It cycles thru cable unplugged, to limited connectivity, and through again.

Ok. At this point, I would recommend trying another wired NIC if you have one, or try reloading the driver for the one you have (might not work due to the "network cable disconnected" issue, but it doesnt take long to do).

Yea. I've got another board that I'm goin to put in and try out. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Ok. Weird now. I'm connected to the internet, obviously. I put the new board in, I see the light lit up on the router now, but I still see the red X in the icon on the task bar.

When trying to click on the little icon, nothing loads. When I try to load any network related from the start menu, control panel, etc, it sits and loads, and loads, and loads. wtf?

"Connection status unknown. Server execution failed" is what it says when hovering over the icon in the task bar.

Back