Ethereum - Anyone into this?

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
Mined Bitcoin for a couple years at the end of the GPU mining era and then tried an ASIC miner. Did pretty well until I got caught in the bankruptcy of that Tokyo exchange. Lost about 18 Bitcoin. Thinking about getting back into mining ETH since it is limited to GPU, more as a hobby than a business. Cannot find one damn rx470 or rx480 for sale at msrp in the US! Apparently big mining enterprizes have bought them all up!

TIP: even if mining seems to be a break even effort based on current price just keep at it and HOLD the coin you manage to get for at least two years. You'll be very happy you did! That's my experience anyway.

I can not find any Radeon RX 500 series cause of this exact reason, AMD should know by now they need to get inventory out faster, I am sure they have people who are aware of current mining trends and should up supply.

Pretty sure I got the last six RX 580s on Newegg, a couple weeks ago. I haven't seen them in stock since then.

My other parts arrived Thursday and I got the rig set up yesterday. 133MH/s out of the box, 180MH/s after dicking around with the BIOSes for a couple hours. Boss is letting me run it at work, so no electricity cost.

Should pay out 1ETH/wk at the current difficulty rate. Here's to hoping the price stays stable or continues going up. I'm always late to the party. :(

Edit: Added my home 1080 to the mix and I'm up to 200MH/s. Have to pay electricity here obviously but I'm still ahead doing it.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I got the last six RX 580s on Newegg, a couple weeks ago. I haven't seen them in stock since then.

My other parts arrived Thursday and I got the rig set up yesterday. 133MH/s out of the box, 180MH/s after dicking around with the BIOSes for a couple hours. Boss is letting me run it at work, so no electricity cost.

Should pay out 1ETH/wk at the current difficulty rate. Here's to hoping the price stays stable or continues going up. I'm always late to the party. :(

I know the feeling. But there will always be something else to mine :)
Are you running 6 GPU's?

Yup, on ethOS.

I tried dual mining Decred but it causes my ETH MH to drop drastically. I think it's stressing the cards too much.

Yup, on ethOS.

I tried dual mining Decred but it causes my ETH MH to drop drastically. I think it's stressing the cards too much.

I get no loss of ETH hash when dual mining with SIA coin, it doesn't pay much but every little bit helps, this is with 1070's though, AMD might be different

I was mining Eth + Pascal and was getting about 1:1 accepted/rejected shares, so I quit dual mining.
Now with a single 1080Ti with +800 memory, I get about 34-37mh/s, effective spikes up to near 50mh/s sometimes, and the average is about 26mhs/s per 24h (because I use this machine for gaming as well and mining is not always on).

I get no loss of ETH hash when dual mining with SIA coin, it doesn't pay much but every little bit helps, this is with 1070's though, AMD might be different

Seems more stable than Decred but it shoots my power consumption and temperatures way up.

I think I'll just stick with solo mining, whatever the most profitable coin is.

Edit: Added my home 1080 to the mix and I'm up to 200MH/s. Have to pay electricity here obviously but I'm still ahead doing it.
What OS are you running? How did you do the bios edits? any guides?

What OS are you running? How did you do the bios edits? any guides?

I use ethOS, rough instructions are below. It should be mostly the same in another OS as long as you have a way of dumping and flashing and overclocking the cards. If this isn't specific enough let me know and I'll try to clarify.

The BIOS edit I did is only applicable to RX 480s and 580s that have Hynix memory (as opposed to Samsung). ethOS tells you the memory type on the main screen. You dump the rom using atiflash (sudo atiflash -s 0 stock0.rom [0 being first card, 1 being second card, etc]), copy it to a Windows machine with WinSCP and open it with Polaris BIOS Editor, and change the 1750, 2000, and 2250 memory straps at the bottom right to this string:

777000000000000022AA1C00B56A6D46C0551017BE8E060C006AE6000C081420EA8900AB030000001B162C31C0313F17

Save it and transfer it back with WinSCP and flash it back to the card (sudo atiflash -p 0 modded0.rom [following the same numbering]) and reboot. That got the cards from 22MH to 28MH, and the last bump to 30MH was from dropping the core from 1350 to 1200 and bumping the memory from 2000 to 2150 by setting these in local.conf and rebooting again:

globalcore 1200
globalmem 2150

As a follow-up to my last post, I've had 200MH going steady ever since then, but the estimates have already dropped from 1ETH/wk to 0.9ETH/wk. Stupid difficulty spikes. I've also got a card with a busted fan that I can't return or exchange because it's out of stock.

Last edited:
I use ethOS, rough instructions are below. It should be mostly the same in another OS as long as you have a way of dumping and flashing and overclocking the cards. If this isn't specific enough let me know and I'll try to clarify.

The BIOS edit I did is only applicable to RX 480s and 580s that have Hynix memory (as opposed to Samsung). ethOS tells you the memory type on the main screen. You dump the rom using atiflash (sudo atiflash -s 0 stock0.rom [0 being first card, 1 being second card, etc]), copy it to a Windows machine with WinSCP and open it with Polaris BIOS Editor, and change the 1750, 2000, and 2250 memory straps at the bottom right to this string:

777000000000000022AA1C00B56A6D46C0551017BE8E060C006AE6000C081420EA8900AB030000001B162C31C0313F17

Save it and transfer it back with WinSCP and flash it back to the card (sudo atiflash -p 0 modded0.rom [following the same numbering]) and reboot. That got the cards from 22MH to 28MH, and the last bump to 30MH was from dropping the core from 1350 to 1200 and bumping the memory from 2000 to 2150 by setting these in local.conf and rebooting again:

globalcore 1200
globalmem 2150

As a follow-up to my last post, I've had 200MH going steady ever since then, but the estimates have already dropped from 1ETH/wk to 0.9ETH/wk. Stupid difficulty spikes. I've also got a card with a busted fan that I can't return or exchange because it's out of stock.
Holy... I understand a lot of this ... I'll need to re-read and try it.. I'm having issues with the x6 gpu setup, so ill need to get that handled first.

So just to be sure, the 1080 actually works in EthOS??? that's nuts! does it work out of the box?

Last edited:
Don't copy his bios settings. Not all cards have the same value to copy. Most models have different values.

Don't copy his bios settings. Not all cards have the same value to copy. Most models have different values.

I've used it on Gigabyte and XFX cards successfully. Neither had that value in any spot beforehand. Others have done it on Sapphire cards.

My understanding is that as long as it's Hynix memory it should work, and I stated as much in my post. Obviously there's always a risk to flashing and the stock BIOS should be kept in case it's needed. Just trying to help. :(

Last edited:
I've used it on Gigabyte and XFX cards successfully. Neither had that value in any spot beforehand. Others have done it on Sapphire cards.

My understanding is that as long as it's Hynix memory it should work, and I stated as much in my post. Obviously there's always a risk to flashing and the stock BIOS should be kept in case it's needed. Just trying to help. :(
Correct. Different values for Samsung and Elpida.

I actively mine it. The bitcoin network is so saturated that it is not worth entering unless you start with a few of the expensive ASIC miners.

My little R9 380 cannot compete. So I have it mine ethereum. Going good so far. 0.293867 so far ($108.78)

A co-worker of mine had 19,000 Ethereum in December and sold them for ten cents a piece. They were at $12 recently which would have been nearly a quarter million dollars had he kept them.

He then set up a mining rig a month ago that returns about 2 Ethereum a day, which would have been a 90 day ROI on his investiment, but they are already down to $8 from $12 in that time, bumping the ROI to 120 days and probably higher as the mining gets more difficult.

It's like any other alt coin I guess. Very volatile and anything anyone predicts is just straight up speculation.

I realize this is an older thread and a post from more than a year ago, but still.... that is millions of dollars worth of ETH at the prices over the past couple months. It is easy to see how someone who jumped in very early could think "10 cents per coin! Man did I score!" and sell them. So many alt coins have come and gone. But that must sting. I have a buddy who regrets "squandering" 12 BTC on humble bundles, some hardware and a TV... but that pales in comparison to the potential fortune your coworker was sitting on.

I'm hoping he has hung on to the ETH from his second attempt. 2 a day is a massive haul, given I get about half an ETH a month with a pair of RX 480s (and I am still making money at that rate).

I realize this is an older thread and a post from more than a year ago, but still.... that is millions of dollars worth of ETH at the prices over the past couple months. It is easy to see how someone who jumped in very early could think "10 cents per coin! Man did I score!" and sell them. So many alt coins have come and gone. But that must sting. I have a buddy who regrets "squandering" 12 BTC on humble bundles, some hardware and a TV... but that pales in comparison to the potential fortune your coworker was sitting on.

I'm hoping he has hung on to the ETH from his second attempt. 2 a day is a massive haul, given I get about half an ETH a month with a pair of RX 480s (and I am still making money at that rate).

its like having an unscratched $1 lottery ticket worth $1mil, and selling it $100. You think you did pretty good, until the dude you sold it to scratches it.

He did pretty well with the single rig. I don't know what he made off of it in total, but three months ago (so about a year after my original post) he took the profits and used it to buy 6 more rigs. He rented a room down the hall where we work and they all run on a wire cart and do about 1000MH/s in total. It's a million degrees in there and easily the loudest room in the building.

It's fun to make fun of him for selling the 19,000 way too early (I later learned it was only 6,000 coins, which would still have been 2.5m at their highest), but he also found $40,000 in BTC on some random hard drive he forgot he had, which he immediately sold, and he bought several thousand AUGR when they weren't worth much, for a total of $600, and they're worth about $30,000 today (down from $50,000 a month ago when every coin was stupid high). He still has those and isn't sure when to sell, but regrets not doing it at their peak.

Meanwhile my dumb ass bought a bunch of ETH when they were at their all time highest of $400, sold them at $300 because shit was crashing, used what I had left from that to buy about 20 other coins thinking it was better to diversify, only for every coin to crash even further two days later. I'm afraid to look but I think I'm down about 40% and hoping for a rebound. Whether it takes a month or a year or ever happens at all is anybody's guess.

Edit: Yup, down 40% on the altcoins, 57% if I include the initial loss from ETH tanking. BTC is exactly where it was when I bought everything ($2600) but literally everything else is down. The only significant holdings I have right now are ANS, SIA, and GNT, so I am hoping one of those spikes in the coming... years... to recoup the losses.

Last edited:
An unknown hacker has used a vulnerability in an Ethereum wallet client to steal over 153,000 Ether, worth over $30 million dollars.

The hack was possible due to a flaw in the Parity Ethereum client. The vulnerability allowed the hacker to exfiltrate funds from multi-sig wallets created with Parity clients 1.5 and later.

He did pretty well with the single rig. I don't know what he made off of it in total, but three months ago (so about a year after my original post) he took the profits and used it to buy 6 more rigs. He rented a room down the hall where we work and they all run on a wire cart and do about 1000MH/s in total. It's a million degrees in there and easily the loudest room in the building.

It's fun to make fun of him for selling the 19,000 way too early (I later learned it was only 6,000 coins, which would still have been 2.5m at their highest), but he also found $40,000 in BTC on some random hard drive he forgot he had, which he immediately sold, and he bought several thousand AUGR when they weren't worth much, for a total of $600, and they're worth about $30,000 today (down from $50,000 a month ago when every coin was stupid high). He still has those and isn't sure when to sell, but regrets not doing it at their peak.

Meanwhile my dumb ass bought a bunch of ETH when they were at their all time highest of $400, sold them at $300 because shit was crashing, used what I had left from that to buy about 20 other coins thinking it was better to diversify, only for every coin to crash even further two days later. I'm afraid to look but I think I'm down about 40% and hoping for a rebound. Whether it takes a month or a year or ever happens at all is anybody's guess.

Edit: Yup, down 40% on the altcoins, 57% if I include the initial loss from ETH tanking. BTC is exactly where it was when I bought everything ($2600) but literally everything else is down. The only significant holdings I have right now are ANS, SIA, and GNT, so I am hoping one of those spikes in the coming... years... to recoup the losses.

My personal view on crypto is that until a currency "goes mainstream" it is extremely risky to hold it. So I think BTC and ETH are relatively safe, with the understanding they will have a lot of volatility compared to flat currencies just because they are crypto. As for all others, if you want to dabble for a bit to make some money off the volatility I say go for it, but I'd advise against taking any medium or long term positions on them.

I mine coins in addition to ETH, but I sell them immediately while I hold the ETH.

I am hoping one of those spikes in the coming... years... to recoup the losses.

Holding onto a story about how a specific chain of transactions lost money, and then thinking about the future in terms of that story, is one of the most prevalent investing fallicies.

With investing, what matters is:
1. The future.
2. The entirety of your finances.

Investing well boils down to looking at the future, and asking:
Where should my assets be allocated for the best chance of growth within my risk tolerances?

Holding onto a story about how a specific chain of transactions lost money, and then thinking about the future in terms of that story, is one of the most prevalent investing fallicies.

With investing, what matters is:
1. The future.
2. The entirety of your finances.

Investing well boils down to looking at the future, and asking:
Where should my assets be allocated for the best chance of growth within my risk tolerances?

I don't have it in me to watch the markets every day, nor do I really need the money back any time soon, so I don't know what that leaves other than waiting and hoping for the best.

Mined Bitcoin for a couple years at the end of the GPU mining era and then tried an ASIC miner. Did pretty well until I got caught in the bankruptcy of that Tokyo exchange. Lost about 18 Bitcoin. Thinking about getting back into mining ETH since it is limited to GPU, more as a hobby than a business. Cannot find one damn rx470 or rx480 for sale at msrp in the US! Apparently big mining enterprizes have bought them all up!

TIP: even if mining seems to be a break even effort based on current price just keep at it and HOLD the coin you manage to get for at least two years. You'll be very happy you did! That's my experience anyway.

I'd keep an eye on that. Apparently Mt. Gox had a bunch of bitcoin and was going to return partial value to the holders.

Back