Ethereum - Anyone into this?

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245375

I saw basically one mention of it here in this subforum from back in 2014 and now it appears to be gaining some traction but I'm no expert on cryptomining. I'm interested, however, and setting up a wallet at the moment and doing a fair share of research across multiple sources so I was just wondering if anyone else happened to be into it or even interested on any level at all.

Don't hate on me for being a total cryptomining n00b, please, everybody's gotta start someplace and the [H] has always been a helpful bunch. ;)

Also, if anyone has a good source of info almost in the "Idiot's Guide" kind of manner I'd love to check that out as well, thanks.

Hello,

I use some free bit app on my android , do you use some of that .

No, I haven't bothered to mess with it much more, the wallet/blockchain got to 99% for a few hours and didn't progress to completion so I basically gave up on it. Of course, I'll probably regret it at a later time for not jumping on it when I had the chance but, it won't be the first time I missed out on an opportunity I suppose. ;)

I'm curious about this too. I've heard that Ethereum has taken off recently, but now it's on the downswing. I have ~8 AMD GPUs lying around, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth trying to ride out the tail end of this thing...

You may still have a couple bucks, but price is already on the way down. Rule of thumb, same as any investing... By the time you generally hear about a price breakout, most of the profit has already been made.

A co-worker of mine had 19,000 Ethereum in December and sold them for ten cents a piece. They were at $12 recently which would have been nearly a quarter million dollars had he kept them.

He then set up a mining rig a month ago that returns about 2 Ethereum a day, which would have been a 90 day ROI on his investiment, but they are already down to $8 from $12 in that time, bumping the ROI to 120 days and probably higher as the mining gets more difficult.

It's like any other alt coin I guess. Very volatile and anything anyone predicts is just straight up speculation.

Last edited:
It take time to get bitcoin use mobile app. I don't have enough consistency wait to click every time it need.

I'm curious about this too. I've heard that Ethereum has taken off recently, but now it's on the downswing. I have ~8 AMD GPUs lying around, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth trying to ride out the tail end of this thing...

I am currently mining away on my 2 290s (1200/1350 memory) and seeing a return of 82MH/s..At current prices that is ~$285 a month AFTER expenses..If you have the hardware and your electric costs aren't too bad (I am paying $.14 KWh) then I'd go for it..

I am currently mining away on my 2 290s (1200/1350 memory) and seeing a return of 82MH/s..At current prices that is ~$285 a month AFTER expenses..If you have the hardware and your electric costs aren't too bad (I am paying $.14 KWh) then I'd go for it..

Well that sounds... pretty great, actually. Is it terribly complicated to get started? I've never done any kind of mining before.

I have found ethereum to be the hardest coin to understand, but i got all my machines working on it with the following batch file using QTminer. Download a miner (QT or ethereum) I had a hard time getting the wallet to sync, it took days so in the meantime i generated an online wallet to mine with. Then find an exchange. Mine Ethereum -- hold them until PoS or sell for bitcoin. Personally i do not like gambling, so i am going to sell them for bitcoin as i mine them. Once I have .25 bitcoin or more ill sell for USD. I just want my video cards to pay for themselves so i could justify a free upgrade.

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
qtminer.exe -G -s us1.ethermine.org:4444 -u YourWalletAddressHere.ComputerNameHere --cl-local-work 256 --cl-global-work 16384

The price of ethereum is going up again, it is 9.5 currently, so it is good time to catch the last train and start mining or buying.

Last edited:
It is hard to understand ethereum because you can look at it from different aspects. Ethereum can be considered cryptocurreny, programming language, big virtual machine ... Any way you look on it, posibilities are immense.
Ethereums blockhain platform enables storing and execution of, so called, smart contracts.
Smart contracts are software programs that can work autonomously in order to facilitate, verify
or to provide fulfillment of actions to which the contract refers. All the computer connected to ethereums network work as a single virtual machine to host and execute this smart contracts. On this immense virtual machine you can store literally anything.

There is very good explanation for begginer at ethereumforum dot org begginers section, for all those who want to understand ethereum better.

My prediction is that price still can go at least double, consodering the growing interst in ethereum. But if you do not want to risk money, you can always get some free from ethereum faucets. If you want to use faucets, check out this daily updated list
Ethereum Faucets List

Edit: oh, and for those thinking of using Faucets... these have been around since the early bitcoin days to spread the use of the coins, but be careful with the scripts they run...

The price of ethereum is going up again, it is 9.5 currently, so it is good time to catch the last train and start mining or buying.

Hmm, seems to be on a bounce. Yeah might go up a bit. Interesting to see if the coin will survive the next few bounces, or not, with more and more people just mining and selling right away. Looks more robust than I'd thought so far.

Surprised that mining is still possible, but with a bit of experience trading can be quite a bit more profitable at this point.

Last edited:
I have found ethereum to be the hardest coin to understand, but i got all my machines working on it with the following batch file using QTminer. Download a miner (QT or ethereum) I had a hard time getting the wallet to sync, it took days so in the meantime i generated an online wallet to mine with. Then find an exchange. Mine Ethereum -- hold them until PoS or sell for bitcoin. Personally i do not like gambling, so i am going to sell them for bitcoin as i mine them. Once I have .25 bitcoin or more ill sell for USD. I just want my video cards to pay for themselves so i could justify a free upgrade.

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
qtminer.exe -G -s us1.ethermine.org:4444 -u YourWalletAddressHere.ComputerNameHere --cl-local-work 256 --cl-global-work 16384

Alright, so I spent a few hours fumbling around trying to get started. I'm still confused as hell.

I downloaded the Ethereum wallet application linked from the ethereum main site and clicked my way through the inscrutable setup process. Don't really understand how it's supposed to work, but it gave me an address and had me generate a password.

I then went to ethpool.org, and from there downloaded qtminer. I followed the instructions to run qtminer on each of my 4 machines with the syntax they provide and the address I got from the wallet thing. The first rig is cranking away with both cards at 100%, but it doesn't show up under active workers when I check my status on ethpool with my wallet address. In fact, only one of my four machines shows up as an active worker. The last two both appear to be parked at 'Creating DAG. 100% Done... i 00:33:24|<unknown> Full DAG loaded' with no load on the GPUs.

So, why is my first machine cranking away but not showing up under my address for active workers on ethpool, and why are my last two machines stalled out?

Buttons mentions a script and an online wallet also, and I dunno if those are things that would be useful to me? What's the difference between the wallet program that I downloaded and an online wallet? Does the script allow the GPUs to be utilized more effectively, or prevent qtminer from stalling?

And as far as the wallet goes... how does it actually work? I assume that the one machine which is actually working and showing up on ethpool is generating ethereum which gets attributed to the address, but then how do I access it and do stuff with it?

I apologize for all the stupid questions, and I appreciate any help you guys can provide. This mining stuff is not very noob friendly. :p

Restart the two clients that appear stuck after DAG completion. I ran into this with both Ethminer and Qtminer.

As far as the wallet, you have an "account" address that is generated by the wallet software. You can create new ones as well. You would have been asked for a password during wallet installation. That password allows you to access and do things with the funds in your wallet address. The catch is the address exists when it's created, but until it actually contains currency, it shows as non-existent if you try check the balance. If you have the mining pool sending your payouts to it, then it will show up in your wallet client when it gets sent.

Last edited:
Alright, so I switched over to ethermine.org and restarted all my qtminer sessions. Now I have two machines that appear to be working and show up as active workers under ethermine's status for my address. The first machine is still cranking away at 100% on both GPUs and LOOKS like it's working correctly, but still does not show up as an active worker on ethermine. I'd really like to be sure that machine is actually contributing properly, since it is my most powerful with a pair of 290X lightnings, and correspondingly is sucking down the most electricity...

The last machine keeps stalling out, and I think it might have something to do with it being the only machine running GPUs with only 2GB of VRAM. It complains about 'Allocating/mapping single buffer failed', then says it's mining on PoWhash a few times, then it gets a new work package and hangs after the Target line. I looked up the allocating/mapping single buffer failed error and found the commands that Buttons uses in his script. I tried them, but they didn't solve the problem.

Thoughts on either of these?

Also, I'm still curious about the online wallet that Buttons mentioned, and I'm wondering if my first machine is having trouble syncing up with my address/wallet like he talked about?

Edit: Alright, so I had tried restarting qtminer on the machine with the 270Xs like a dozen times with the same result, but decided to try once more just for kicks. Now it's working, go figure, and it shows up as an active worker on my ethermine status...

Last edited:
I've only used QtMiner for a couple days, but from what I recall, you should see it submitting shares occasionally in the console window if the machine is doing actual work. I mine on ethmine.org and when I first started QtMiner, it took several hours to show up on the site's stats as an active worker.

I ended up switching back to Ethminer as my production went down using QtMiner, but I'm under the impression some people have the opposite experience. It may be worth a try if you are trying to maximize your hashrate but it lacks stale share reporting ATM and may be a waste of time in the end.

Last edited:
Well, I stumbled across a mention in a FAQ somewhere that the new 16.x AMD drivers are causing problems. Naturally, the first thing I did before I started mining was to update all the machines to the latest drivers... So now that I've gone back through and reverted to older drivers, it looks like everything is running fairly smooth. The first machine is now showing up as an active worker along with the other three, and I'm getting an effective hash rate of ~130-150 between two 290X Lightnings, two R9 280s, two R9 270Xs, and a lone 7970.

My 290X Lightnings are doing ~50-60 together, so I'm curious why ccityinstaller is getting 82 with a pair of vanilla 290s. Is that just from overclocking, or could that be because of the software I'm using like Gman1979 is suggesting?

Appreciate all your help btw... I am certain I will still have more questions yet to come. :p

hey. gonna get into this asap... might as well take a chance. was one of the original BTC miners but gave it up soon after.

but i gotta put my tinfoil hat on for a second..

I read somewhere, MS & Cisco were 'investing' in ETH.

If anyone here has seen the latest DX12 benchmarks and theories concerning AMD GPUs, how they are seemingly outperforming NV and NV is pretty much worthless for mining.. maybe they are trying to mine all the ETH for themselves by creating EVEN MORE DEMAND for AMD GPU's and increasing prices.

theres some Illuminati shit right there LMAO

If anyone is still having trouble i found a better method. I am avoiding geth / local wallets / qtminer / etherminer all together now.
Now i am going straight claymore dual miner. does ethereum faster plus does decred with the unused gpu cycles

Claymore's Dual Ethereum+Decred GPU Miner v3.1

The DCR coins almost covers the cost of my electric, then the ethereum is covering the cost of my 3 new r9 380s.
I use a wallet address from my currency trading exchange, i have auto payout -- when coins show up if the market looks favorable i trade them to bitcoin.
this is my batch file to start claymore: Some of my 2gb cards refuse to work without the SETX commands below.

SETX GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
SETX GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
SETX GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
SETX GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
SETX GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool us1.ethpool.org:3333 -ewal 0xYourWalletAddressHere -epsw x -dpool http://dcr.suprnova.cc:9112 -dwal YourUsername.WorkerNameHere -dpsw YourPasswordHere

Sadly I have this issue possibly :(

"
KNOWN ISSUES

- Weak/old cards like 7xxx/270/270X cannot handle dual mining properly, Ethereum mining is slower by about 5%."

I'll have to play around with it later to see if I can tweak it a bit since my GPU actually has 1536 shaders and not the 1280 of the 270x. Right now with Ethminer I manage
Reported Hashrate: 19.9 MH/s
Effective Current Hashrate: 22.2 MH/s

When I run QtMiner my rates get cut in roughly half :(

Hopefully I can get Claymore up and running properly tonight and see what that gets me. Much appreciated for the heads up.

Thankfully the power I use mining is being offset via solar, so I'm essentially mining for a new GPU :p

Last edited:
I've tried to use the claymore miner before, but couldn't get it working.

Hmm, going to try again I think.

Just a tip for anyone mining on a 980Ti (G1 Gigabyte, im sure other 980ti's are similar) with QTminer:

The default settings work just fine, and provide 19Mh/s. That is, just your straight command line with wallet ID, server etc.
When using the additional command lines -cl localwork and -cl globalwork it does NOT increase MH/s. It just makes the video lag within Windows 7 x64.

It MAY have improved it .5 MH/s but not a decent tradeoff IMHO.

If anyone is still having trouble i found a better method. I am avoiding geth / local wallets / qtminer / etherminer all together now.
Now i am going straight claymore dual miner. does ethereum faster plus does decred with the unused gpu cycles

Claymore's Dual Ethereum+Decred GPU Miner v3.1

The DCR coins almost covers the cost of my electric, then the ethereum is covering the cost of my 3 new r9 380s.
I use a wallet address from my currency trading exchange, i have auto payout -- when coins show up if the market looks favorable i trade them to bitcoin.
this is my batch file to start claymore: Some of my 2gb cards refuse to work without the SETX commands below.

SETX GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
SETX GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
SETX GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
SETX GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
SETX GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool us1.ethpool.org:3333 -ewal 0xYourWalletAddressHere -epsw x -dpool http://dcr.suprnova.cc:9112 -dwal YourUsername.WorkerNameHere -dpsw YourPasswordHere

I haven't looked into setting up DCR mining yet, but I wanted to thank you for the tip regarding Claymore. I was getting a very erratic hashrate with Ethminer previously. With Claymore I am getting a very stable hashrate reported. Ethminer had higher hash rate peaks but Claymore is getting more work done per block and resulting in a better payout.

How would 2 x FuryX and 2 x 7970GHz do if I was to try this out? I don't know anything about mining and I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth it. Payoff vs. electric bill.

Ofcourse I could move these comps to my workplace but that would be risky ,,, sucking on companys power and dust.

That would not be recommended. Risking a job, no matter how bad it might suck, for the few pennies you could make mining.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
How would 2 x FuryX and 2 x 7970GHz do if I was to try this out? I don't know anything about mining and I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth it. Payoff vs. electric bill.

Ofcourse I could move these comps to my workplace but that would be risky ,,, sucking on companys power and dust.

Yeah I wouldnt do it at work but, that would be a decent rig.. probably ~40Mh/s for the 7970's combined, 2x FuryX probably 50Mh/s... total of ~90...not terrible. Depends on your price of electricity..

im pulling ~680w @ the wall 2x 390x msi OC. Undervolted. EDIT: 56Mh/s

Last edited:
At my work, maybe 60% of the female work force has a 1500 watt space heater under their desk or somewhere in their office. This doesnt raise an eyebrow, but 500 watts and profit will not fly at all. Some people may use a tethered wifi connection to stay off the radar, but good luck concealing the noise. I say do like vork on "the guild" run an extension cord to the neighbors tool shed :-P

I have a couple 7970s in my current machine. Would it be worth it to me to start Ethereum mining?
Don't want to waste my time setting it up if it's not worth it and just cost me time and electricity to run it all.

I tried it with my 280x, dual mining with the claymore sofrware. It probably gets close to covering the electricity costs, didnt seem worth it. I havent looked at the historical data but im betting the ethereum price skyrocketing has introduced a ton of new miners

I tried it with my 280x, dual mining with the claymore sofrware. It probably gets close to covering the electricity costs, didnt seem worth it. I havent looked at the historical data but im betting the ethereum price skyrocketing has introduced a ton of new miners

Yeah, that's the other part - what if it grows over night similar to bitcoin/litecoin. If it will at least break even, it might be worth it to see. So, $10 for Ethereum coin is skyrocketing at this point?

I typically do btc, tek and hbn but keep my eye on the top market cap coins. I remember when it was like 9 cents, if only you could go back in time...

I have a couple 7970s in my current machine. Would it be worth it to me to start Ethereum mining?
Don't want to waste my time setting it up if it's not worth it and just cost me time and electricity to run it all.

they should get you about 41-42mh/sec. $159 a month. Lets assume that your electric is like mine. 14 cents a kwh after all fees/taxes. 500 watts x 24 hours. (12 kwh x .14cents) x 30 days in a month. $50 a month in electric so $109 a month in profit. If you turn the heat off / down in your house it can save you a tiny amount in heating costs ... until its fighting against the AC.

sign up on an exchange and generate a deposit address for ethereum. Copy that deposit address to your clipboard, download claymore dualminer 4.1, open start.bat and paste that deposit address in place of theirs. thats 90% if you want to dual mine decred coins same time you will need to create a worker on suprnova pool or something.

Well, I stumbled across a mention in a FAQ somewhere that the new 16.x AMD drivers are causing problems. Naturally, the first thing I did before I started mining was to update all the machines to the latest drivers... So now that I've gone back through and reverted to older drivers, it looks like everything is running fairly smooth. The first machine is now showing up as an active worker along with the other three, and I'm getting an effective hash rate of ~130-150 between two 290X Lightnings, two R9 280s, two R9 270Xs, and a lone 7970.

My 290X Lightnings are doing ~50-60 together, so I'm curious why ccityinstaller is getting 82 with a pair of vanilla 290s. Is that just from overclocking, or could that be because of the software I'm using like Gman1979 is suggesting?

Appreciate all your help btw... I am certain I will still have more questions yet to come. :p

Sorry I haven't popped back in earlier..I am using etherminer, not QT, and am running a fairly high OC as you see on Crimson 15.12s...I was getting really lucky for a bit, my hashrate has dropped to around 70 MH/s..How much power are you drawing on the dual 290X rig, the one you said you are getting 50~60 MH/s?? Also which drivers are you running?

they should get you about 41-42mh/sec. $159 a month. Lets assume that your electric is like mine. 14 cents a kwh after all fees/taxes. 500 watts x 24 hours. (12 kwh x .14cents) x 30 days in a month. $50 a month in electric so $109 a month in profit. If you turn the heat off / down in your house it can save you a tiny amount in heating costs ... until its fighting against the AC.

sign up on an exchange and generate a deposit address for ethereum. Copy that deposit address to your clipboard, download claymore dualminer 4.1, open start.bat and paste that deposit address in place of theirs. thats 90% if you want to dual mine decred coins same time you will need to create a worker on suprnova pool or something.

Be careful with the increased power usage though, you can get bumped into a higher bracket for elevated usage. That happened to be with my bitcoin mining, went from profit to barely breaking even.

Do you have a link to a tutorial to set everything up? Or maybe hit me up on pm to explain? I think I understand just need a little more info. Ty

Back