ESXi Home server Checkup

Hi there everyone!

Discovered ESXi last week, so basically been thinking about it every evening.. :confused:
I put together a list of parts that I would like to order, but I do want a final checkup from you guys before spending any money on it. ;)

Parts list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AocgA8O26ORNdEowY29oZWV2Q19FRkxxRjV0Y1RXcmc&usp=sharing

The idea:
- ESXi is loaded from a small thumb drive into memory.
- FreeNAS is loaded into memory from a local hard disk, connected to a cheap HBA.
- M1015 is passthrough'd to FreeNAS
- After waiting x seconds, other VMs are loaded from the iSCSI share from FreeNAS.
- Tuner card is passthrough'd to my VM running mythTV.
-> FreeNAS shares my files while MythTV serves TV for the rest of the network.

VMs:
- FreeNAS
- MythBuntu
- Debian or w/e for newznab, couchpotato, sabznd, ...

Thank you :eek:
Greetings

Last edited:
don't use iSCSI with freenas, use NFS if you want to go with that distro (the BSD target is BADLY broken).

You'll need to add a rescan/refresh in there as well to pick up the new storage if you do block - you'll need to add those commands to /etc/rc.local.d/rc.local.sh, NFS should pick up on its own.

:)

Thank you for your reply lopoetve and you advice. :D
May I ask what you mean with "if you do block" ?

Greetings

Looking over your parts list it looks like you will have four total hard drive controllers, is there a reason for that?

How I understand your setup you are doing an all in one with all of your 3TB drives on the M1015 that will be passed to your storage OS, and then a small hard driver connected to ESXi as a datastore for the storage OS. This drive I would just connect using the onboard HBA of the motherboard.

You then have a cheap HBA, I don't understand the need for this one, will it be passed to an OS?

I'm just trying to understand this better.

Thanks

Looking over your parts list it looks like you will have four total hard drive controllers, is there a reason for that?

How I understand your setup you are doing an all in one with all of your 3TB drives on the M1015 that will be passed to your storage OS, and then a small hard driver connected to ESXi as a datastore for the storage OS. This drive I would just connect using the onboard HBA of the motherboard.

You then have a cheap HBA, I don't understand the need for this one, will it be passed to an OS?

I'm just trying to understand this better.

Thanks
I believe you misread, I will only have 2 M1015's as it's cheaper to have 2 of those than any other 16-ports controller. The cheap HBA is because my onboard controller isn't hardware raid, so I can't really pass that as a possible datastore. This is why I need a cheap HBA to just connect a SSD or w/e

Greetings

Back