ESXi GPU Passthrough with Mac OS X? Nvidia w/ Radeon

boyerizm

n00b
So this started as a relatively simple VM workstation project (w/ hacks to get Mac OS 10.11 to boot) but the response seemed slow and laggy.

I'm wondering if it would be better (faster/smoother) to install ESXi and go dual boot, that way I could passthrough a gpu?

I'm running dual Xeon on an asus workstation board. PCIe slots 1-4 goto CPU1, 5-7 CPU2, I've got a Titan X on 1 looks like I'd have to go Radeon w/ ESX. makes me wonder....could I put that on CPU 2 and basically have two computers on a single mobo?

Your best bet is to go with Linux KVM, not ESXi. Also, say away from Radeon, you will have an easier time with NVidia.

Thanks The_Moves, I'll look into it. Honestly I didn't know any of this shit was possible until a couple days ago so I didn't even know what to search for.

Your best bet is to go with Linux KVM, not ESXi. Also, say away from Radeon, you will have an easier time with NVidia.

Hmm I would recommend the reverse esxi is way easier to set up for someone with no experience and I have had MUCH more issues with nvidia and pass through

ESXi and consumer GTX to my understanding and experience not working; only some quadro cards I read somewhere are supported.

I had some success with KVM, Linux and GTX 980Ti/970. Was able to run Windows 8, but was too slow as my MB seems PCIe limited.

With the xeons and better board you have more chance for success with KVM

ESXi and consumer GTX to my understanding and experience not working; only some quadro cards I read somewhere are supported.

I had some success with KVM, Linux and GTX 980Ti/970. Was able to run Windows 8, but was too slow as my MB seems PCIe limited.

With the xeons and better board you have more chance for success with KVM

If I remember right nvidia gave abut more love to the Titan so it might work. I would give it a try with esxi first as it us by far the easiest to setup and if that dosnt work try a Linux solution proxmox is a nice option and has a few pretty easy to follow guide

If you are looking for a more "friendly" KVM solution, take a look at unRAID.

I've been running this on my Dual Xeon setup, and so far so good.

Here my try earlier this year, with some good hints from members; will try it again once I have better MB/CPU

https://hardforum.com/threads/kvm-two-os-and-two-nvidia-gpu.1895172/

intresting. still seams like it gave quite a few issues tho. i used to run two desktops simultaneously with a 280x and a s7000 under esxi and the preformance was amazing i benched and got the exact same speeds as a native os then again i was running dual xeons on a sr-x mobo so maybye i just didnt notice the extra overhead

Back