ESXi All in One Boxen Project

Krazypoloc

Gawd
Hey guys, been running a single low end Windows server for the last 10 years or so at home and doing all my testing/lab virtualization on my beefy workstation with VMware. I've come to the point where I would like to move to a more powerfull router/firewall at home and have settled on pfsense. Now my plan is to build a big beefy server and run ESXi5 on it and virtualize everything. When I say everything I mean everything. Convert my Windows file server to ZFS, run pfsense and get rid of my Asus router, and then run whatever other VM's on there I want. Any input on this would be great as to a "do this, don't do this" type format.

I do this, my box isn't that powerful or fancy, but I'm running a pfsense VM, server 2003 VM, Trixbox VM as well as a few Ubuntu Server VMs on it without issue. Two NICs, bit of VLANing, so far so good.

Used to have a 1u Firebox as my router... but that thing was freaking loud and hindering my 50/5 connection quite badly at times. After having enough of the noise, I visualized the router/firewall and haven't had any issues yet.

Used to have a 1u Firebox as my router... but that thing was freaking loud and hindering my 50/5 connection quite badly at times. After having enough of the noise, I visualized the router/firewall and haven't had any issues yet.

Yeah one of the reasons for doing pfsense in a virtual environment is resource scaling and the ability to increase the amount of resources when I do get that 200MB connection a few years down the road.

Thanks for your input.

I do this, my box isn't that powerful or fancy, but I'm running a pfsense VM, server 2003 VM, Trixbox VM as well as a few Ubuntu Server VMs on it without issue. Two NICs, bit of VLANing, so far so good.

Which firebox were you using? was it modded? Were you using snort? Any other packages?

Hey guys, been running a single low end Windows server for the last 10 years or so at home and doing all my testing/lab virtualization on my beefy workstation with VMware. I've come to the point where I would like to move to a more powerfull router/firewall at home and have settled on pfsense. Now my plan is to build a big beefy server and run ESXi5 on it and virtualize everything. When I say everything I mean everything. Convert my Windows file server to ZFS, run pfsense and get rid of my Asus router, and then run whatever other VM's on there I want. Any input on this would be great as to a "do this, don't do this" type format.

Do it. All my home servers including Untangle are virtual. Size it appropriately. I have multiple vSphere boxes for lab and failover. No real reason not to do it.

Back