ESXi 5.5 and HP Switch Vlan help

rmccas

n00b
Hi all,

Currently im seting up a esx 5.5 LAB with two refurbished HP Servers and they work very well.

Also i have a third Pc that will be used for storage purposes for the esx hosts on iscsi. (Starwind Software) with two nics for LACP.

each esx host has 4 nics that will be used for separate traffic... so far so good

Now the problem is that i only have HP 1810g-24 and a 1824-24 Switch (has netflow and VLAN)

What i want to do is to create 5 VLANS for each traffic

10 Local network & Internet
20 Management
30 Vmotion
40 FT
50 iSCSI

Im not a network expert so my question is ifi accomplish this setup only with the HP switch or do i need a router ?

I cant afford a physical router so i welcome any help and virtual routers and setups available

Thanks in Advance
Rmccas

You only need a router if
You need inter-vlan communication and your switch(s) can't route between VLANs

I don't know if those switches can do VLAN Routing, look at their data sheets.

If you can't afford a physical router just install a simple software router as a local virtual machine on one of the boxes (so it can boot without the need of a working network).

I would assume that your iSCSI network doesn't need to leave its vlan and that your vMotion doesn't neet to leave its vlan. If you're using true OOB management then that doens't need to leave its VLAN. Local network & Internet doesn't need access to the other VLANs right? So good there. I don't know your acronym for FT? I could just be blanking.

*edit* FT = Fault Tolerance? That doesn't need to leave its vlan either I assume.

Last edited:
don't team nics would be used for iscsi

you can do this in theory with windows-2012-all-around if multiple connections per session are enabled but good old mpio with round robin is still a way to go

also afaik starwind recommends switchless iscsi config

Hi all,

Currently im seting up a esx 5.5 LAB with two refurbished HP Servers and they work very well.

Also i have a third Pc that will be used for storage purposes for the esx hosts on iscsi. (Starwind Software) with two nics for LACP.

each esx host has 4 nics that will be used for separate traffic... so far so good

Now the problem is that i only have HP 1810g-24 and a 1824-24 Switch (has netflow and VLAN)

What i want to do is to create 5 VLANS for each traffic

10 Local network & Internet
20 Management
30 Vmotion
40 FT
50 iSCSI

Im not a network expert so my question is ifi accomplish this setup only with the HP switch or do i need a router ?

I cant afford a physical router so i welcome any help and virtual routers and setups available

Thanks in Advance
Rmccas

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your input.

I was able to create all the VLANs on my switch and they are working just fine.

100 Local network & Internet
200 Management
300 Vmotion
400 FT
500 iSCSI

Although i created the vlans on the same network 192.168.1.x/24 i was able to have isolated trafic for each vlan.

Can you guys recommend a router to have multiple networks to separate the traffic ?

example

VLAN 300 192.168.2.x vMotion
VLAN 400 192.168.3.x iSCSI

Thanks
Rmccas

but good old mpio with round robin is still a way to go

Not necessarily..depends on what the array vendor's SATP dictates and what is best practice for that array.

What is this for, home lab? If so, I use a Ubiquiti Edgemax Lite...works very well. Basically you give the VLAN(s) you want to route subinterfaces (Router on a stick)

With VLAN's they are meant to be on differer subnets.
Example:
VLAN 300 192.168.300.x/24
VLAN 400 192.168.400.x/24

You will need a router to talk between VLANs. This router can be a physical router or software based one. I currently run a PFsense router on my ESXi server to route traffic.

How are your vSwitches setup?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfepl...supported-for-iscsi-that-is-the-question.aspx

Also, VLANs have nothing to do with subnets...just change the IP addresses of the devices on those subnets...

Absolutely nothing says VLANs HAVE to be on different or the same subnets. That's just the most common way of doing things because if you want different vlans to talk to one another they have to be routable to one another.

You can have two devices on the same VLAN with different subnets and they will not be able to talk to one another without a router or static routes. You can have two devices on different VLANs but the same subnet and they will never be able to talk to one another unless you have a router capable of VRF or bridging or something similar.

Regardless, as I said before you don't need a router unless you need inter-vlan communication and if everything is working right now it will continue working when you change their subnets.

A layer-2 switch does not care what subnets the VLANs are using.

sure some need shared ip for failover (eql for example)

mpio is a way for OP storage vendor

Not necessarily..depends on what the array vendor's SATP dictates and what is best practice for that array.

What is this for, home lab? If so, I use a Ubiquiti Edgemax Lite...works very well. Basically you give the VLAN(s) you want to route subinterfaces (Router on a stick)

Back