ESXi 4.1 on Tyan S2912 + 2347HE very slow

elec999

Limp Gawd
Full Specs

Opteron 2347HE (1.9ghz)x2
4x1GB Kingston DDR2 667 ECC Reg
ESXi 4.1 on USB Drives
Tyan S2912 Rev E
Two Broadcom 5709 for iSCSI 4 paths (2 active, 1 active/1 io) -using software iscsi
Two onboard gigabit nics for management/vmnetwork
Dell MD3000i SAN + iSCSI to VMWre 5x640GB 15k drives in Raid5

The ESXi 4.1 is set to jumbo frames, accross all the sWitches. The ESXi is very slow, installing a OS took forever like 2 hours for Windows 7 test. Copying files to guest vm about 512k/sec.

Could this be caused by the onboard nvidia network cards?

Update 1 : Tried with just Broadcom controllers, no onboard and still slow.

Did you run any performance diagnostics? What are the IO and latency stats in vCenter..etc?

Did you run any performance diagnostics? What are the IO and latency stats in vCenter..etc?
They seem fine. Just installing Windows/Any Linux/ Using os running very slow. I have three other servers, all install Windows of PXE <SUB 10 minutes. This server even loading ESXi is slow.

Decent USB keys or cheap things?

I would see what happens if you disable jumbo frames across the board and see if that works for you, I have experienced in the past issues where it was enabled but due to a certain piece of hardware it wasn't working as expected.

I would look at running some Iometer tests across the link to the SAN.

I take it you are installing from ISO off of another data store?

If you run I/O meter from another guest to the same datastore what are your stats?

What do your other stats look like..CPU/memory..etc?

I take it you are installing from ISO off of another data store?

If you run I/O meter from another guest to the same datastore what are your stats?

What do your other stats look like..CPU/memory..etc?

I have tried everything. There is no ISO, installs are off WDS or VIA DVD. I have tried everything disabling onboard network, jumbo frames off.

The io look perfect. I have been told could be CPUs?

I have tried everything. There is no ISO, installs are off WDS or VIA DVD. I have tried everything disabling onboard network, jumbo frames off.

The io look perfect. I have been told could be CPUs?

I would honestly look at running iometer from a running machine that's stored on the SAN to see what kind of IOPS you're getting because being honest if people can (and do) run ESXi on the HP MicroServer with a dual 1.3ghz cpu I couldn't see the Opties being too much of an issue.

Running the Iometer test will give you an idea of what the performance is like from a running server. Have a look at the VMware forums for some Iometer scripts or just pop over to my site and use the one there (it's from the VMware Performance Testing thread anyway).

Back