ESXi 3.5 to 4.0 support contract question

I have asked this question to VMware directly however the fellow i spoke with had a very thick Indian accent and I couldn't understand him very well and I could tell he had a hard time with understanding my question. So nothing was solved with that phone call.

Hopefully someone here has had similar experience with my current situation.

Basically it is like this; I have two support contracts that cover two ESXi 3.5 installations I have running now in production. All I need to know is if I upgrade those 3.5 boxes to 4.0 will my support contracts still be valid? Also does the license key I have installed currently on the 3.5 boxes carry over when i upgrade or do I have to install a new license key and in turn have to register new license keys to my VMware online account?

Thanks

If you log into your VMware account you will find vSphere licenses. So yes, you do need a new license key, and no, you don't need to register them since they are provided already. Support contracts roll over to vSphere and will expire whenever they were set to expire.

I have asked this question to VMware directly however the fellow i spoke with had a very thick Indian accent and I couldn't understand him very well and I could tell he had a hard time with understanding my question. So nothing was solved with that phone call.

Hopefully someone here has had similar experience with my current situation.

Basically it is like this; I have two support contracts that cover two ESXi 3.5 installations I have running now in production. All I need to know is if I upgrade those 3.5 boxes to 4.0 will my support contracts still be valid? Also does the license key I have installed currently on the 3.5 boxes carry over when i upgrade or do I have to install a new license key and in turn have to register new license keys to my VMware online account?

Thanks

Yes, no - we use something different now, and yes, you have to get new keys as vsphere uses a 25 digit product key instead of 20, but no, no new registration is needed :)

Back