ESX 5.1 + Windows Media Center?

fatguy

Weaksauce
Has anyone successfully 'virtualized' a windows media center instance - passing the hardware performance/capability tests - with ESX 5.1? I'm curious if the new hardware accelerated graphics support makes the difference.

I'd like to finally compress my last 2 physical machines - I still need to run a small bare metal box as my primary media center instance for my extenders...

Has anyone successfully 'virtualized' a windows media center instance - passing the hardware performance/capability tests - with ESX 5.1? I'm curious if the new hardware accelerated graphics support makes the difference.

I'd like to finally compress my last 2 physical machines - I still need to run a small bare metal box as my primary media center instance for my extenders...

Yes, but..

If you're only using extenders, and not using an internal tuner card, it's easy. If you want to actually watch video inside the VM, forget it. I used 5.0 along with passing through my Ceton InfiniTV 4. 5.1 broke PCI passthrough, so I gave up on that and switched back to a physical box.

All PCI passthrough is broken in 5.1? I'm on 5.0 now, and passthrough an HBA for an OI NAS VM. Are you saying I can't upgrade yet?

I have an HD HomeRun Prime so I should be ok from that front. I guess it can't hurt to try the setup again to see for myself.

Thanks!

Back