Esports Is The New College Football

so how long till we start seeing stories of parents ruining the fun of their kids gaming because now its a sport and they have to train..train..train..

It's already happening. Several prominent fighting game players have dropped out or gone on long hiatuses because the games became work instead of fun. Their families wanted them to keep going, but they wanted out.

so how long till we start seeing stories of parents ruining the fun of their kids gaming because now its a sport and they have to train..train..train..
The wife and I did a Q&A for CS:GO a while back. One of the questions that came up quite a bit was something similar to this. It is work, but he said when he stops enjoying it, he will be a trainer.
Parents should be open minded about them starting it in the first place. I was super pissed that he wanted to play a game and not go to college or do something that will at least make him money.
I admit I was very skeptical at first. I grew up playing games, but making money? HA! No way. I was wrong. They can make huge money and yeah while it is work, it is an awesome experience.
I know he has been to England, Romania, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, and places here in the states. (Those are the places I can remember)

If your kid has/shows the talent to do it, it is not a bad thing.(Long as they save up the money)

The Houston Rockets formed their own official esports team last year. So professional teams are getting into the action too.
There are many pro atheletes and former that are not just sponsors, but owners. I believe Shaq is part owner of the team he is on. NRG.

Rick Fox owns team Echo Fox, which is a pretty big deal in the competitive gaming/esports world.

There are a lot of things called sport that are not, Golf, Bowling, syncronized swimming, etc. The thing is it is marketable and it will continue to grow. My son who is almost 15 hates sports and anything to do with it but he loves Heroes of the Storm as do I. I never thought I'd watch Hots coverage but it's interesting watching highly skilled teams play something you do. I have no interest in watching other esport titles because I don't play them.

There is significant skill, judgement and teamwork involved. I'd prefer it be called something else but eSport is not going away.

My "obvious statement" was "If there are no political protests during e-sports, then I'd rather watch them than the old caveman sports."

You snowflaked that into an assault of the precious right of millionaire knuckle-draggers to prove themselves idiots at entertainment events they are paid to perform at.
We'll never know if you did that because you were triggered, not very bright, dishonest, trolling, or some combination thereof.

And I haven't watched caveman sports in at least seven years, not even highlights. They bore me.
I'd rather watch ballet, what those dancers can do is unbelievable, and the ballet company we have here in Arizona is one of the nation's best.
Insulting another's intelligence when using "snowflake" and "millionaire knuckle-draggers" in the same sentence proves to me that you are an internet genius, with an off the charts EQ. Like very smart and a very stable internet genius.

Calm down buddy - you are taking your ideology way too seriously. My point is get over the minutia and live your dang life instead of being so upset - and you are easily triggered and try to rebuttal with that as insult (oh and you used the classic intelligence level). I honestly laughed at the irony.

Esports was my definite careful what you wish for moment for. Back in the day I imagined Quake 7 would be this amazingly popular hyper fast and dynamic Quake / Descent clone. What I got was MOBAs. Thanks, future. Thank you future man. You never fail to amaze me

Esports was my definite careful what you wish for moment for. Back in the day I imagined Quake 7 would be this amazingly popular hyper fast and dynamic Quake / Descent clone. What I got was MOBAs. Thanks, future. Thank you future man. You never fail to amaze me

Isn't that vehicle CTF in Toxikk? Yeah nobody really played it. Does the new Unreal Tournament have vehicles?

Isn't that vehicle CTF in Toxikk? Yeah nobody really played it. Does the new Unreal Tournament have vehicles?

Wasn't this a paid CPM clone? I've spent some time with the new UT and didn't see any vehicles.

It will be a while until ticket sales for esports usurp those for regular events. This is the reason I don't see them as a direct competitor to college or professional sports,but more of a partner. Imagine half the population likes sports, well the other half has to do something , might as well watch esports( or engage in something similar).

No, just no.

I don't watch sports.

I don't watch people playing videogames either.

I don't get organized professional sports, I especially don't get how someone who on a good day has the brains to serve up a latte at Starbucks gets a free ride to college when kids that actually deserve it end up in debt half their lives, or can't even go at all.

I used to watch sports, still play them as well. DItto for videogames. I don't watch esports because I would rather be playing the games. That does not mean they should not offer scholarships if this attracts a large audience. Think of it as advertising. Similar to how Pepsi or dr .Pepper dole out scholarships at halftime basketball and bowl games.

Insulting another's intelligence when using "snowflake" and "millionaire knuckle-draggers" ...

This from the guy who started the insults by telling me to "Put your big boy pants on."
The transparent hypocrisy of this ".haste" snowflake knows no bounds: one rule for snowflakes, another for people who disagree with snowflakes.
Like most snowflakes, .haste doesn't walk his talk. Too bad for snowy, we're not as stupid/gullible as he'd like us to be.

Wasn't this a paid CPM clone? I've spent some time with the new UT and didn't see any vehicles.

I didn't know what CPM was, if it is Challenge ProMode Arena from 2000 they don't need to go back that far. Toxikk is like UT 2004. But they have a flamethrower, shotgun that is probably worse than the flak cannon, no bio rifle, energy rifle with pulse main fire and railgun alt fire. No combos from it.

I didn't know what CPM was, if it is Challenge ProMode Arena from 2000 they don't need to go back that far. Toxikk is like UT 2004. But they have a flamethrower, shotgun that is probably worse than the flak cannon, no bio rifle, energy rifle with pulse main fire and railgun alt fire. No combos from it.

My bad. I was thinking of Reflex which is indeed the CPM clone. Just checked Toxikk. Yep, it's a lot like UT

Recent major final in CSGO had over 1 million viewers on twitch stream so I'm glad it's not just DOTA 2 and LoL which draws big crowds (not personally a big fan of MOBAs).

I don't understand the issue some of you are having with esports, times changes. Online gaming has a lot of mentality and psychology going for it and comes also down to muscle memory and reaction times and strategies.

Recent major final in CSGO had over 1 million viewers on twitch stream so I'm glad it's not just DOTA 2 and LoL which draws big crowds (not personally a big fan of MOBAs).

I don't understand the issue some of you are having with esports, times changes. Online gaming has a lot of mentality and psychology going for it and comes also down to muscle memory and reaction times and strategies.

I don't have a problem with PLAYING an online game. I just have no desire whatsoever to watch someone else. If a bunch of dudes can make a buck conning people with nothing else to do into watching them sweat and curse, awesome. just don't treat it like some noble cause.

They're one and the same as far as my interest in them goes.

I don't have a problem with PLAYING an online game. I just have no desire whatsoever to watch someone else. If a bunch of dudes can make a buck conning people with nothing else to do into watching them sweat and curse, awesome. just don't treat it like some noble cause.

I personally don't like playing CSGO but I LOVE watching pros play it in big tournaments. :p As for playing I'm more into single player, Unreal Tournament series is pretty much the only games I've played on a regular basis online that I'm pretty decent at too.

When I was addicted to UT3 when I studied still I remember being all sweaty after a gaming session due how "seriously" I went into it so I became very psychologically stressed due my mind was like working at a 130% capacity trying to process what would happen 1 minute into the game when doing constant on-a-fly situational decisions. If I could have focused the same brain capacity to my studies had been great. ^^

Last edited:
I enjoy doing both. For competitive games you want to get better and you can do that by playing of course but you can also learn and appreciate the skill to pull of a combo or what strats are effective in drafting or just learning when to do an obj or force a team fight.

For the younger generation growing up with this I think it will be popular.

You know that's the headline of the actual article, right? rgMekanic didn't come up with it.

But agreed, fuck esports. I mean sure, a league and a career around it are fine. But a scholarship? That's a bit far.
Well yea so long as your not hurting anybody, and can consistently maintain an paying audience for what your are doing. Sure have an scholarship. How about dancing, Art, Cheer, and Playing music. You just have to be good enough for your peers to want to keep seeing you do what you do, and be better than them at it helps too.

Well yea so long as your not hurting anybody, and can consistently maintain an paying audience for what your are doing. Sure have an scholarship. How about dancing, Art, Cheer, and Playing music. You just have to be good enough for your peers to want to keep seeing you do what you do, and be better than them at it helps too.

This is one of those times where [H] FP just shows it's extreme bias. It's hard to want to comment on a thread like this because everyone has their mind made up already and can't see past that.

I think that it's great that someone is able to use their talents in a way that allows them benefit from it. Isn't that basically the point of going to college in the first place? There are thousands of talented people who can do something others simply can't do. It's hard to try to promote other talents, and this is certainly a way to do that. Let's say your a STEM major, but you also happen to be good at games. Your gaming skill helps pay the bills while you get your degree, and the college can promote that not only are you a great gamer, you're also doing great work in X field. Others can be inspired by what you do, and try to go down a similar path. If you look at any college sport right now, how many players actually play professionally after college? 1 in 1,000? It's not any different here. Most people aren't going to be making careers out of this, but it's just another thing they can add to their resume. (Focus, dedication, team skills, hard working, ability to sit behind a screen all day :p)

Will Gohan's kid "pan" ever find fun? Will vegeta's daughter "Bra" ever find gaming happiness. Find out on the next episode of Dragonball Super (Duper?)

This is one of those times where [H] FP just shows it's extreme bias. It's hard to want to comment on a thread like this because everyone has their mind made up already and can't see past that.
)

Are you honestly going to say anything posted here would have changed YOUR mind?

Bias isn’t limited to people that you don’t agree with.

Are you honestly going to say anything posted here would have changed YOUR mind?

Bias isn’t limited to people that you don’t agree with.

Are we talking about opinions or facts? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, which might or may not be swayed. But if you present facts like there is an audience of 400 million viewers, yet claim that eSports is dumb and no one wants to watch it, there is bias against the reality that proves otherwise. If your opinion is that you don't care for it, that's fine. If your opinion is that since you don't care for it no one else should, that's where the bias comes into play.

Are we talking about opinions or facts? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, which might or may not be swayed. But if you present facts like there is an audience of 400 million viewers, yet claim that eSports is dumb and no one wants to watch it, there is bias against the reality that proves otherwise. If your opinion is that you don't care for it, that's fine. If your opinion is that since you don't care for it no one else should, that's where the bias comes into play.

It's my opinion that I don't like Esports, and consider them unworthy candidate for college scholarships based on the fact that a they are a questionable skill to base scholastic aptitude on, compared to the many more deserving candidates. I myself haven't presented an opinion one way or another on how many people watch it or how dumb it is to do so. People watch Football. I don't consider that a worthwhile investment of my time either.

Is it your opinion that esports are a worthwhile addition to collegiate sports, or a fact?

It's my opinion that I don't like Esports, and consider them unworthy candidate for college scholarships based on the fact that a they are a questionable skill to base scholastic aptitude on, compared to the many more deserving candidates. I myself haven't presented an opinion one way or another on how many people watch it or how dumb it is to do so. People watch Football. I don't consider that a worthwhile investment of my time either.

Is it your opinion that esports are a worthwhile addition to collegiate sports, or a fact?
The same can be said of foosball and other sports. You don't need much of a brain for those. Yet they have it for them.

Jerry Jones and John Goff have invested in Team Complexity.

It's amazing how far they've come as I played CS from beta 5.2 to 1.6 (1.3 for life!) and I attended all of these CPL tournaments.

The same can be said of foosball and other sports. You don't need much of a brain for those. Yet they have it for them.

I place all sports in the same category. If a single student misses out on a scholastic scholarship, because a football player with limited academic potential was able to attend school instead, then it's a bloody crime.

Something can be said for school sports programs that "turn a profit" so to speak, and roll that back into academic programs. but how many schools actually are able to do that? But even then it's like selling drugs on the street to donate to a charity. a worthy goal achieved by dubious means.

Speaking of Foosball here's a video of my step father (black hat) playing. Skip to the Foosball part. It might not take brains but it take a lot of quick hand eye coordination.

Speaking of Foosball here's a video of my step father (black hat) playing. Skip to the Foosball part. It might not take brains but it take a lot of quick hand eye coordination.

I was referring to The Waterboy.

Attachments

• bb396a80e4e2e855a1cd9391c93a0c257d0d2b77d32d729453b462492bbba644.jpg
    bb396a80e4e2e855a1cd9391c93a0c257d0d2b77d32d729453b462492bbba644.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4
Very interesting, especially reading about the scholarships. No doubt there are many viewers and supporters of competitive gaming, with large prize pools and even gambling involved (http://www.businessinsider.com/the-rise-of-esports-betting-and-gambling-2018-1).
It's true there are differences between actual athletic sports and videogame competitions in regards to physical activity, but at the same time, there are many similarities. In the end, both sports and esports have a large audience, a fanbase rooting for individual players/teams, and involve thousands of revenue. I believe in Asia, esports is already gigantic (particularly in Korea and China).

It's definitely my opinion that esports add value to colleges based upon the fact that it gives people who might otherwise not be eligible for a scholarship an avenue to do so. I personally don't watch esports and don't see myself watching them anytime soon. Much like you I don't really watch football either so neither one really matters to me as far as value of time. But I definitely understand that to some there is value in it, so it would be hard to convince me that it's not offering a value to a group of individuals.

You've kind of already touched on the reasoning behind these scholarships in your other post. The money for these have to come from somewhere. It's easy to hand out money to students which are bringing in revenue based upon other means. Yes there might be other people who would certainly be qualified or hugely beneficial because of their skills, but if they are not marketable you can't afford to just give away money out of your own pocket to anyone who has talent. I don't think that a talented student is missing out because an esports player took their money, without esports there wouldn't be anything to hand out in the first place. (IE, It's not the college's money that's footing the scholarship bill. Whether that's opinion or fact, I doubt anyone's going to be releasing the $$$ information any time soon to know for sure.)

Back