ESPN Will Start Covering Drone Racing

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know about you, but I'd watch the hell out of some drone racing on ESPN. As long as the coverage looks like what you see in the video below, I think drone racing could be very entertaining.

The International Drone Racing Association (IDRA), the leading global organization in first-person-view drone racing, announced today it has signed a multi-year, international media distribution deal with ESPN, bringing the new sport of drone racing to the worldwide leader in sports.

Why not? They cover people driving cars around in an oval for a ungodly amount of time, they cover people playing variants of poker, the cover golf.... so why not?

I have watched more drone race videos through the [H] than I have anything being a car in the last 10 years... so I guess I'm interested.

Why not, those races can get pretty intense, and once it starts getting more coverage and sponsors likely the races will become harder.

I would rather watch scale planes and jets race (which go much faster) than wanna-be helicopters. They never televised remote control car racing that I know of, so I'm not sure why drones would be popular. Hmm

I'm waiting for UDFC. (Ultimate Drone Fighter Champion)

I would rather watch scale planes and jets race (which go much faster) than wanna-be helicopters. They never televised remote control car racing that I know of, so I'm not sure why drones would be popular. Hmm
These drones go some 90 mph. That would be scale speeds of something like 2000 or 3000 mph.

When I was recently in Mexico the only decent news network that was in English was BBC (it was actually a relief, no wall to wall Trump coverage). While my wife was getting ready I watched a long bit they did on the drone race championship in the UAE. It reminded me of the game Wipeout. It was actually very cool. Of course a 14/15 year old pilot won the quarter million or so prize - but all the drones were custom built by basically a team of engineers.

Back