ESPN Personality Who Criticized Gaming Departs Company

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember the guy at ESPN that said he would quit if he was ever forced to cover competitive gaming events? It looks like that isn't going to be a problem anymore. ;)

"We've enjoyed a mutually beneficial run with Colin for over a decade," Skipper said. "He came to national prominence on ESPN with his unique perspective on sports and society. Endings also bring new beginnings, for ESPN and Colin, and we thank him and wish him the best."

There goes my afternoon drive home! That's who I podcasted EVERY M-F afternoon for my 30 min drive home :(

No tears from me. Colin was a tool as far as I was concerned. I disagreed with MANY of his opinions.

I don't think I'd want a random announcer who doesn't know the intricacies of the esport reporting on it anyway. I can't imagine trying to watch a competitve dota game with an announcer that has never actually played it.

No one at ESPN is qualified to report on professional gaming anyway.

Professional gaming, like Poker and Pool, isn't a sport and shouldn't be on ESPN.

ESPN is by far one of the biggest jokes in sports now. They have ruined sports for everyone by injecting politics in sports and slowly pushing their liberal agenda. For me sports was the one place where I did not have to deal with that crap, but ESPN has ruined it.

No one at ESPN is qualified to report on professional sports of any kind, seems to me. I don't know when it happened, but ESPN is now a pro-LGBT propaganda outlet for the permanenty deranged. ESPN stopped being a sports network long ago.

He was entertaining back when he was local here in Portland but he became a sports talk caricature after a while...hard to fault him for it since he because popular nationally and got hooked up with ESPN but I never felt like he had the talent to support being a "character."

It's about time that asshole got canned. He liked to make idiotic points just to get ratings.

Football is a game. Baseball is a game. Billiards is a game and should be included on ESPN.

I'm not sure you know the difference between sports and gaming. But I agree. ESPN should stick to the traditional physical sports coverage.

I'm not sure you know the difference between sports and gaming. But I agree. ESPN should stick to the traditional physical sports coverage.

Ok so if you don't play it in high school, its not a sport. Got it.

I want to see ESPN personalities get a taste of Rocket League. That this is proper sports.

I think billiards is a sport. Video games and poker aren't. If video games are a sport then I need to be on TV as I'm one of the most dedicated 40+ year old game players around. :)

I think billiards is a sport. Video games and poker aren't. If video games are a sport then I need to be on TV as I'm one of the most dedicated 40+ year old game players around. :)
I'm afraid we'll have to wait for a senior tour to get our due.

The way the title was phrased I thought someone new had left ESPN. Turns out it was just the Cowherd news that's been floating around. I personally always found him pretty irritating to listen to, and didn't even know his comments on gaming.

It's about time that asshole got canned. He liked to make idiotic points just to get ratings.

As irritating as Cowherd was (I hated his show,) you have to admit he is an amazing radio host. I don't personally enjoy listening to him, but I will admit he is very good at what he does.

ESPN stands originally for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, so yeah, Gaming can actually be included on it's programming, since even if you don't count it as a Sport it counts as Entertainment.

Don't like it? don't watch it.

There goes my afternoon drive home! That's who I podcasted EVERY M-F afternoon for my 30 min drive home :(

I give him a listen occasionally but mostly all he ever did was pimp the NBA or basketball in general. Found him to be kind of a jackass from a radio personality standpoint. I don't "hate" him but I certainly won't miss him. Wish they toss Skip next.

Jumping off the sinking ship, no doubt.

All I've heard of Cowherd was from the Tony Stewart debacle, so I don't know him well. But he struck me as someone that, although I would disagree with, at least came to his perspective by engaging his brain. And that's something that I can appreciate.

Back