ESET Reports Trojan in Orbit Downloader

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are a user of the popular Orbit Downloader, ESET suggests that you give it a rest for a while, at least until the company removes the DDoS Trojan that ESET discovered.

The rogue Orbit Downloader DDoS component is now detected by ESET products as a Trojan program called Win32/DDoS.Orbiter.A. It is capable of launching several types of attacks, the researchers said.

I don't think I have ever used that. Is it popular or something?

Big fan of ESET and Nod/ESS. Its what I recommend to people who pay for AV and Avast for those on the free train.

"The rogue component is downloaded from a location on the program’s official website, orbitdownloader.com, the ESET researchers said. An encrypted configuration file containing a list of websites and IP (Internet Protocol) addresses to serve as targets for attacks is downloaded from the same site, they said."

"When they discovered the DDoS component, the ESET researchers were actually investigating the “junk programs” installed by Orbit Downloader in order to determine if the program should be flagged as a “potentially unwanted application,” known in the industry as PUA."

tumblr_m1x7gnnz7m1qhz59go1_250.jpg

I used to be a fan too but their software has gotten a bit clunky.

I can see why you might say this about Smart Security which is definitely gangly, but I personally just use Nod and find 6.0 to be great.

So most people are so bad at "The internet" they usually download a program that helps them download other stuff?

Well that's efficient.

The more crap it has -- the more crap will go wrong.

Yep.

BTW: Does MS Windows Defender pick it up as a trojan too? I've seen several things Defender picks up that NOD32 did not, probably just a who gets there first kind of thing.

So most people are so bad at "The internet" they usually download a program that helps them download other stuff?

Well that's efficient.

In the case of orbit, it is forced as an install in quite a few online games. So it isn't a matter of being "bad" at the internet. It is one of the reasons I refuse to use any software that forces me to install something not the software itself.

Well that's efficient.

It has been often recommended for people who want to download embeded videos from youtube, facebook etc. I think it could even grab pandora music. It was a quick and easy solution for many.

Now they only need to deem Pando Media Booster (used to install many games; its not actually malicious, but it is a peer to peer downloading service that continues to run even after whatever it downloaded installs, as a service, unless the user actually uninstalls it manually!) as malware and we'd be off to a good start.

This is yet another good reason to always use Free and Open Source software when possible. FOSS has lots of "downloader" programs out there for every need. Of particular note are "JDownloader" which allows you to queue, resume, and generally download from anywhere - especially for multiple files at hosting sites like Rapidshare (with modules that support Premium for a multitude of sites etc... ). There are also addons for Firefox like DownThemAll, Download Statusbar, and FlashGot. FlashGot (made by the same developer as the excellent NoScript addon) is especially useful for ripping and downloading media content from a website, and does it efficiently and in as high quality as possible, right from an icon on the FireFox add-on bar!

It is one of the reasons I refuse to use any software that forces me to install something not the software itself.

Agreed. Java being the exception....if they'd just get rid of that ask.com bullshit when updating, etc. I'd be happier with Oracle.

Now they only need to deem Pando Media Booster (used to install many games; its not actually malicious, but it is a peer to peer downloading service that continues to run even after whatever it downloaded installs, as a service, unless the user actually uninstalls it manually!) as malware and we'd be off to a good start.

This is yet another good reason to always use Free and Open Source software when possible. FOSS has lots of "downloader" programs out there for every need. Of particular note are "JDownloader" which allows you to queue, resume, and generally download from anywhere - especially for multiple files at hosting sites like Rapidshare (with modules that support Premium for a multitude of sites etc... ). There are also addons for Firefox like DownThemAll, Download Statusbar, and FlashGot. FlashGot (made by the same developer as the excellent NoScript addon) is especially useful for ripping and downloading media content from a website, and does it efficiently and in as high quality as possible, right from an icon on the FireFox add-on bar!

I refuse to do P2P uploads for games that I paid for. It is not my fucking job to provide bandwidth to their other customers because the company is too fucking cheap to pay for it themselves.

I refuse to do P2P uploads for games that I paid for. It is not my fucking job to provide bandwidth to their other customers because the company is too fucking cheap to pay for it themselves.

I also turn off Flash's "Peer-assisted networking" for the same reason. This sneaky setting does essentially the same thing and is turned on by default.

Eset Smart Security user here along with MWBAM and between those two and peerblock and my routers web content filter and white and black list filters and also its hardware antivirus chip thats built into it but needs a yearly subscription to work, my pc and network is near enough bullet proof.

But even without the hardware stuff, I firmly believe eset smart security would keep me secure if thats all the security I had as its a great piece of software.

Back