ESD damaged system

Dariusz

n00b
Hey

Right long story (VERY) short.

Bought a part. Plug it in blue screen. Replaced part still blue screens. I believe that I have had my 1st ESD in my live.

I believe that all of my pc parts were affected in a very LOW way. They function at 98+% but still crashes a lot in my field of work.

I replaced most of the components but I did it 1 by 1.

Can Static damaged component damage any other component over time etc or once ESD damage occurs it will not jump ? Is it like illness ? Do I need to replace all components at once or 1 by 1 will work?

Regards

Dariusz

These things are very hard to prove. More likely is that messing with the system has exposed a failing trace, poor connection, etc.

These things are very hard to prove. More likely is that messing with the system has exposed a failing trace, poor connection, etc.

Replaced gpu,cpu,ram,motherboard. Only thing left are 4 hdds, psu and case. I tried second PSU and new HDD so in a way I replaced it all except for Case... but well Can an existing damaged component store static somehow and "infect" other good components?

Replaced gpu,cpu,ram,motherboard. Only thing left are 4 hdds, psu and case. I tried second PSU and new HDD so in a way I replaced it all except for Case... but well Can an existing damaged component store static somehow and "infect" other good components?

I don't know anybody that will come in and say, definitively, yes or no to your question. I will say, however, that it is unlikely that an affected component will cause other components to be affected. More so, if the original damage was ESD to a particular component, the affect on the rest of the system is not a result of ESD "infecting" your system rather, a failing component causing system issues because it is a failing component.

People always try to swap out equipment from a failing system, one at a time. Rarely do people try to take components of an unknown state and put them in a known working system. I've had way more success introducing fails to a system than making failing systems work.

I have never in 20 years had a ESD problem I always touch the case before the boards and I don't walk around without touching the case again to discharge and static, but to be honest I really don't think this would happen very often anyway.

"Can an existing damaged component store static somehow and "infect" other good components?"

no.
not the way you described it.

the only way I know of that the charge could be 'stored' would be if everything was perfectly insulated, otherwise (in the real world) the charge would 'evaporate' into the, always at least slightly, humid air.

What kind of workload are you doing when it crashes since you said it works 98% of the time?

Try making it crash with synthetic benchmarks. Fire up prime95 or intel burn test and see if max cpu usage kills it. Try a ram test, then a GPU test, if one by one they don't cause failure try running them together. If it only crashes when they are all running I'd put money on PSU. If it still doesn't crash then it is much more likely that it is your software causing the issues.

I have never believed I caused a ESD death, that being said I have done dumb things and killed stuff dropped a few cpu's and damaged them, bumped a running hard drive yes I did it I was installing windows on a hard to remove drive on the outside of the case and for some bone head reason I cannot understand I moved it and bumped the case and it began the buzz clunk of death right then. was it stupid yes, should I have done it no. did ESD have anything to do with it no. I always touch the case repeatedly while working and never killed anything yet :)

Back