Escape in IE deletes data in field... why?

Phoenix86

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, I'm sure this has happened to any forum junkie at one point. Your typing away, got a long post going, and hit escape (by accident, to clear a pop up that didn't take focus, whatever). OK, so you just lost your entire post. That sucks ass.

So I have started to write some of my posts in notepad and cut and paste them into the field, but that's annoying. Sometimes I just write 2-3 lines and I don't want to open/use notpade. Sometimes, those 3 lines get blown up into a much larger post, so I don't always thing 'use notepad, this is going to be a long one. So that's getting annoying too.

Does anyone know how to make escape in IE do nothing? Since when does Esc mean delete everything I just fucking wrote?

Yes, I'm upset, I just lost minutes of thoughts and writing.... again...

This post was written in notepad.

</rant>

Phoenix,

Can't disable, but Can help. Use this shortcut CTRL-Z. It will bring back your post!

Cheers,

Originally posted by Zwitterion
See if it'll do the same stuff in other browsers.

Tried it in Opera, and its a no go, doesn't do it in Mozilla 1.7, doesn't do it in FireFox, doesn't do it in Netscape 7.1, but it does it just fine in IE.

I tested each as I wrote this post.

Cheers,

Well, I'm not switching browsers for something so simple. The Ctrl-z thing will save my sanity a bit, thanks.

Originally posted by Phoenix86
Well, I'm not switching browsers for something so simple. The Ctrl-z thing will save my sanity a bit, thanks.

Download the google tool bar. It should take care of your pop-ups. I don't use IE anymore (except for certain sites) and I used to use the Google tool bar and it worked great.

Cheers,

Pop-up? Haven't seen them in a long time, thanks to google. :) I have over 4k blocked pages. The reason I mention not switching browsers is the exact reason you state. I'm not going to run 2 browsers because of 'some sites'. Dealing with IE is better than having to deal with alt-browser+IE.

Back