Error : Reset TDR occurred on GPUID + 4090 gigabyte OC

markm75

Gawd
Anyone ran into this with a 4090. Black screen, recovers and logs to event viewer. I was just using chrome, nothing else.

In my case windows 11 + a 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum + 12900k cpu at 4.9ghz and 6400 ram.

I never had this occur with the previous 3080ti.

I ran DDU and the latest nvidia driver. (i also tried the previous 2 drivers), it happened about 4x so far, ironically more so when just browsing not gaming.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
TDR issues are hard to track down. It may not even be an NVIDIA driver issue. Something may not be playing nice with other devices. The last TDR I had to deal with was due to outdated Creative drivers. The TDR would go away when I didn't install the audio portion of the NVIDIA driver, which is how I figured it out, so my suggestion would be to start with a bare installation of the graphic driver for the 4090. Don't install anything else it asks you to under custom installation, such as the PhysX software and audio drivers.

TDR issues are hard to track down. It may not even be an NVIDIA driver issue. Something may not be playing nice with other devices. The last TDR I had to deal with was due to outdated Creative drivers. The TDR would go away when I didn't install the audio portion of the NVIDIA driver, which is how I figured it out, so my suggestion would be to start with a bare installation of the graphic driver for the 4090. Don't install anything else it asks you to under custom installation, such as the PhysX software and audio drivers.
Good advice. Also OP you can try to disable hardware acceleration in your browser settings and see if it goes away.

Good advice. Also OP you can try to disable hardware acceleration in your browser settings and see if it goes away.
This, too. Chrome in particular had conflicts with hardware acceleration and dedicated video cards not too long ago.

Back