Ergodox mechanical keyboard kit $200 @ Massdrop ~1 day left

Oh man that is neat. Seems like a gift and a curse. I would love it, learn it, and then hate it when I had to type on my work computers.

Yep, have to sign up to see it.

I've never heard of that site before. Neat site and item...thanks for posting it.

@RushiMP -- simple solution -- buy two and have a travel/work one! :D

@Thuleman -- the one downside to the site, you have to sign up to be able to see the drops.

Another neat one they had recently was a 27" IPS Monoprice monitor:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/monoprice-monitor
It's also a decent example of what one looks like after it's done, as they have the happy request button -- so if enough people express interest, they can bring back the drop. :)

Also, these are fully programmable, so if you have any interest in learning a more ergonomic layout (Dvorak, Colemak, Malt), you can. Plus it has thumb clusters, so you can have your strongest digits doing things besides just inserting spaces!

That looks crazy to type on... but I agree that the thumbs can be doing more than just sitting there all lazily and hitting the space bar every once in a while. Could be cool to use some everyday shortcuts like copy and paste, instead of twisting around the pinky to hit CTRL.

Question: Is it programmable on the keyboard, or is it software based? I don't like software based, since I use Linux for work and nearly all driver-based software is Windows/OS X only.

@Citizen86 -- the keyboard firmware is programmable to the extent that all USB keyboards are. Meaning that you can assign any particular key to be the single quote/double quote key, but you can't switch it such that it's a double quote/single quote key, if that makes sense. Also, it's supposedly simple enough to reprogram that you should be able to experiment easily.

For any who missed out -- you can make an account and request it be dropped again, this is round three for the item, and each time it has dropped to its lowest price, so there's quite likely to be a round four.

A YouTube video of the assembly. Definitely something for the enthusiast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1irVrAl3Ts

Indeed!

"This is my keyboard. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My keyboard is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My keyboard, without me, is useless. Without my keyboard, I am useless. I must type my keyboard true. I must mouse straighter than my enemy who is trying to frag me. I must frag him before he frags me. I will..."

Back