Equipment needed for HD650

theforce

n00b
Hi there guys. Since this is my first post there i will take this opportunity to say a "hi" to the community.
I was thinking recently to get the Sen. HD 650 headphones after reading some reviews saying good things about them. From what i have read i will need an amplifier to experience the full power of the headphones.
I currently have an Asus Xonar D2 in my PC and i was wondering if you have any ideas of what amp should i buy. I can spend up to 400usd on it.

Well there is definitely no "best" amp for cans like the HD650, if you haven't already, go to headfi.org and poke around there. Lots of info about these and what amps people like to use with them.

One solution that I thought of, because I was looking at it myself, is a Zero DAC which I already own and love, combined with a Darkvoice 336SE amp.

http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=84&S_id2=59&s_id=

Those guys have a combo deal that comes in pretty close to your $400 budget at $432 shipped from China. I ordered my Zero from them and they shipped it pretty quickly, and they double boxed it so it arrived intact.

You wouldn't absolutely need the Zero since you have a decent soundcard already, but the general consensus is that an external DAC performs better than one on a soundcard inside a noisy PC case. The Zero itself is also a very good amp, although I don't have any cans in the same league as the HD650 yet.

you can check out www.headfi.org
they will give you recommendations; my research showed that the HEED amp is a fantastic buy for the price of quality. Good cans, I had the HD600's...I miss them.

I was just researching the same thing at headfi yesterday as I am thinking of getting HD650 to replace my HD595. Here is what I read. I see Gilmore Lite recommended for HD650 quite often.

"Some solid state amps you might enjoy with it are the Gilmore Lite/Dynalo (DIY version), the Eddie Current EC/SS, the PreSonus Central Station (also has a nice DAC!), and some DIY offerings like the Beta22, M^3 and CKK2III."

Personally, I would like one of these tube amp beauties.

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

If you want a decent external DAC that is easily available in NA then get an EMU0404 or even 0202 and connect it digitally to your PC soundcard instead of using it via USB as an external soundcard. That's how I use mine. You can get 0404 for under $200.00.

I'm using a Little Dot MKV amp with my HD600s and X-Fi Prelude and it sounds pretty darn good. I don't really have anything to compare it to though. It cost me $350 after shipping.

Omega Claro Halo soundcard
google it you'll know why I recommend it.

If you are interested in a home built amp, I have a PPAv1 that I'd sell you. Works great for Sennheiser phones (I built it for 590s). It's not pretty, but it gets the job done. If you are interested, I can post some pics.

Hi there guys. Since this is my first post there i will take this opportunity to say a "hi" to the community.
I was thinking recently to get the Sen. HD 650 headphones after reading some reviews saying good things about them. From what i have read i will need an amplifier to experience the full power of the headphones.
I currently have an Asus Xonar D2 in my PC and i was wondering if you have any ideas of what amp should i buy. I can spend up to 400usd on it.
What music do you listen too? They are a dark and relaxing headphone, and many claim veiled without proper amplification. Will these be used for gaming too?

I was just researching the same thing at headfi yesterday as I am thinking of getting HD650 to replace my HD595. Here is what I read. I see Gilmore Lite recommended for HD650 quite often.

"Some solid state amps you might enjoy with it are the Gilmore Lite/Dynalo (DIY version), the Eddie Current EC/SS, the PreSonus Central Station (also has a nice DAC!), and some DIY offerings like the Beta22, M^3 and CKK2III."

Personally, I would like one of these tube amp beauties.

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

If you want a decent external DAC that is easily available in NA then get an EMU0404 or even 0202 and connect it digitally to your PC soundcard instead of using it via USB as an external soundcard. That's how I use mine. You can get 0404 for under $200.00.
The Ec was made for low Ohm cans.

Darkvoice 332. Might be a bit pricey. Talk about dark magic sound though. Woof.

I used a 64lb 10 watt tube/headphone amp called the SQ-84. That thing was a friggin beat. It Actully used the 10 watts per into the headphone out! The 650s love power. They blew my mind with Gorillaz.

Can Amp is another good one.

Darkvoice 332. Might be a bit pricey. Talk about dark magic sound though. Woof.

I used a 64lb 10 watt tube/headphone amp called the SQ-84. That thing was a friggin beat. It Actully used the 10 watts per into the headphone out! The 650s love power. They blew my mind with Gorillaz.

Can Amp is another good one.
But cost a grand. Still can't beleive you got rid of it. And your K1000's.

lol

I wanted to try something else. Should have kept that one though. Might still get another. Who knows?

HD650s are fantastic headphones. They shine with an amp but dont have to have one to work at a tolerable level. I can listen to them straight out of my motherboard and enjoy them, or enjoy their ability to scale with a better DAC and amp. In my case, an Ear HP4. They're glorious with the EAR.

I've not heard them balanced, but people who have swear it makes them even better.

So they continue to benefit from the nicer and nicer the quality of electronics you throw at them, but remain enjoyable in a primitive state as well, in my opinion.

I have a Singlepower Supra XLR with HD650 + Apuresound V3 recable for balanced. I prefer a tube amp with the HD650 since it just makes everything sound smooth and refined. I second the a Little Dot or Darkvoice for a more budget tube amp. Woo Audio also makes excellent tube amps and I used a Woo 6 with my HD650s for awhile. Eddie Current is another good one, if you can land a Zana Deux you'll be set for an amp, just need to upgrade source :p

But yes, the HD650s are COMPLETELY different monsters when you balance them. Stock, or even with a Zu Mobius V1 cable, I hated it. Always sounded weird or wrong to me (sounded like having cotton stuffed in your ear). Balanced though, I love them and rank them on the same level as my Stax Omega IIs, although a different flavor.

Balanced is the deal. If you commit to the 650s then you have to go all the way. TO me, Stax were better due to the sheer speed and imagery but a pair of balanced 650s is a wonderful, deep sound.

I see Gilmore Lite recommended for HD650 quite often.

I have used the Gilmore Lite when I had my HD650. The GLite was an incredible little amp, extremely well built and it opened up the HD650 much better than my first US$100 portable amp. Bass was much tighter and the headphones were no longer dull and dark. I later on upgraded to a Singlepower PPX3, and to be honest, even the PPX3 didn't show too much improvement over the GLite.

The GLite is only US$399, which is just under the OP's budget. Headamp is also one of the best amp makers. They make some of the best amps in the world like the GS-X, KGSS, BHSE.

I would highly recommend getting a good external DAC later for the HD650. Soundcards just don't do enough justice for 650 IMO. For a decent HD650 rig, the HD650 itself should be the cheapest thing in the setup.

Back