Equipment for a bare bones dedicated folding rig

I think the case is the problem as I can feel the heat pouring from the metal. When I put my hand up against motherboard end, it is really hot.
That's normal. If you can feel heat on the top of your heatsink, then that means it's working properly. I would be really worried if your processor had been running for an hour and you couldn't feel any heat, because that means that the heat is going somewhere else. Heat on the back plate is okay too.

THANK YOU guys so much! I think I have a stable overclock as my dedicated folding rig has been folding all night long and is still 100% stable! I couldn't have done this without you guys, although I noticed that it isn't too much faster than my Phenom II X4 965 doing regular A3's It is currently running at the voltages I mentioned above at 3.67ghz with temps reaching about 82 degrees at most. I promise that once I get time to figure out a native Linux install, ill try to get bigadv working on it again(I messed up 2 already). I use Core Temp to measure my temps since I am never concerned with other temps other than the core.

I am a little disappointed that I wasn't able to hit higher overclocks, but 3.67ghz is NOT bad for just a $200 cpu. It finished its first A3 WU last night with 96% of time remaining while my Phenom usually completes with 94% of time remaining.

I am a little disappointed that I wasn't able to hit higher overclocks, but 3.67ghz is NOT bad for just a $200 cpu. It finished its first A3 WU last night with 96% of time remaining while my Phenom usually completes with 94% of time remaining.
It's almost certain you can obtain higher stable frequencies, it just needs a little fiddling with in terms of improving cooling efficiency. Maybe increasing airflow within the case or through the HSF, or possibly exhausting the heat in the case to the outside more effectively. There's a lot you can try. Either way, congrats on your first successful A3! :cool:

Take a look at the miahallen's i7 overlocking guide. They try to isolate the max for each setting by dialing down all other settings.

You might be able to get a bit more out of it.

^ This, isolating everything and working around got me a stable OC on my first attempt
sure it took almost 2 hours, but I havnt had a stability problem yet

Also, MC has 120mm "quiet" fans on sale for 6$, I was gonna buy them all but I left a few there for ya ;)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

And if you see the short white guy with an Army haircut, a para bellum tattoo, and a hardocp shirt on, that's me :)

Thansk guys, but i'm going to leave the settings alone for right now. They work the way they are, and I won't have time to do any more fiddling till probably this weekend. Once I get the Noctua NDH-14 on my gaming rig, i'm now curious to see how far my Phenom II X4 965 can go. The Noctua NDH-14 would have went on my folding rig if the case could accomodate that monster. The Cogage just barely fit.

Either way, i've taken my gaming rig offline now and it is nice being able to work from my desk in quiet again. Once my laptop finishes this A3 it is on, i'll likely take it offline as well since it only pushes 500-600 pts per day even on the SMP client. That Netgear Rangemax works absolutely perfectly and will be my choice of wireless card for any future computer builds. The Phenom 965 at 3.5ghz actually didn't do bad as it got a consistent 7000-8000pts per day on just the cpu.

And if you see the short white guy with an Army haircut, a para bellum tattoo, and a hardocp shirt on, that's me :)

I forgot to tell you, but make sure you and your buddies hit up the Montgomery Inn at the Boathouse before you leave town if you arn't a native Cincinnatian. No visit to Cincinnati is complete unless you've tried the best ribs in the world. They are world famous, and people actually order them through mail order as it arrives in a giant box filled with dry ice.

You probably should make reservations as they fill up very fast for dinner.

http://www.montgomeryinn.com

They do lunch? I could go tomorrow after I test out of this class

They do lunch? I could go tomorrow after I test out of this class

I think so, but they have a wierd schedule as you'll want to call to make sure. I believe they do lunch from like 11am-2pm, and then they close until they reopen for dinner at 5pm. Make sure you do a king size slab of ribs as there is no other way to enjoy ribs this good. You also will want to take some money for the valet parking as it is $2 or 3 bucks + tips, or they may let you park yourself during the weekday.

Their deserts are also awesome, but no trip to Cincinnati should be without a trip to

Montgomery Inn @ the Boathouse
Graeters Ice Cream
Skyline Chili

This is the stuff that Cincinnati is famous for.

I love Chili, but never was a fan of Skyline, not sure why

Ice Cream, Crohn's has a funny way of causing other problems, namely Lactose Intolerance, so thats a no go

As for vallet, this means I'll have to clean all my military gear and Micro Center gear out of my truck, I've developed a sense of not trusting total strangers in the military, nature of the beast I guess lol, and sure as hell can't leave the glock in there LOL :)

I love Chili, but never was a fan of Skyline, not sure why

Ice Cream, Crohn's has a funny way of causing other problems, namely Lactose Intolerance, so thats a no go

As for vallet, this means I'll have to clean all my military gear and Micro Center gear out of my truck, I've developed a sense of not trusting total strangers in the military, nature of the beast I guess lol, and sure as hell can't leave the glock in there LOL :)

I'm lactose intolerant, but that unfortunately doesn't stop me from eating something as good as Graeters. The problem is that usually I pay a severe price during the overnight hours after consuming it. From what I understand, Graeters is going to branch out to many other states as they have been a local chain so far.

The valet there can usually be trusted, although it is safe to take precautions. They only force you to valet your vehicle during peak demand due to the limited parking. A friend of mine goes there during non peak hours to take clients there and he said that they allow you to park yourself when they arn't busy. Take a big appetite with you!

These i7 run hot. It's normal.

80+ is ok. It's when the temp goes over 90 that I get a bit freaked out. Now Zero will come in and say the chip wont let it's self be damaged, and that is true, I just like to keep it close to or under 80C.

Out of curiosity for those who are very familiar with how the Core i7's operate, what do you think that running this cpu constantly in the mid 80's will do to the life of the processor and the life of the other components inside the case? So far, Core Temp has recorded max temps of 84 degrees. I am leaving for Chicago tomarrow night and may start to fiddle with it again once it finishes the first bigadv WU it is currently on.

I think it was a huge mistake to use this case, but i'll snap some pics of it when I get back.

Out of curiosity for those who are very familiar with how the Core i7's operate, what do you think that running this cpu constantly in the mid 80's will do to the life of the processor and the life of the other components inside the case? So far, Core Temp has recorded max temps of 84 degrees. I am leaving for Chicago tomarrow night and may start to fiddle with it again once it finishes the first bigadv WU it is currently on.

I think it was a huge mistake to use this case, but i'll snap some pics of it when I get back.

By the time the chip would possibly see some effect, it will be the same as us fretting over an old netburst P4 going bad.

By the time the chip would possibly see some effect, it will be the same as us fretting over an old netburst P4 going bad.

Looks to my right and sees my old Dell Dimension 8400 just collecting dust. It wasn't a bad machine when I got it not that many years ago. It does however suck more power from the wall than it actually produces in real world applications.

Thats kind of what I thought. I am a risk adverse person but I have a feeling that i'm going to be upgrading to a new processor in less than 2 years time anyway for that rig. If we get some cheaper 6 core Intel processors, it might be even sooner as they will probably overclock like crazy. I still don't know how in the world I got into this folding stuff.......

Well off to Chicago, in Friday night traffic :(

Hmmm, I just got back from Chicago and noticed that my folding rig was hard locked while at 86% for the bigadv it was working on. It had been hardlocked for about 3 hours from what the log says.

I've downclocked my 930 to 3.57ghz now and have kept the voltages at the same. I wonder if my chip is a dud considering that mine doesn't seem to be clocking too well compared to others. Oh well, time for bed........

I'll worry about it when I wake back up :(

Hmmm, I just got back from Chicago and noticed that my folding rig was hard locked while at 86% for the bigadv it was working on. It had been hardlocked for about 3 hours from what the log says.

I've downclocked my 930 to 3.57ghz now and have kept the voltages at the same. I wonder if my chip is a dud considering that mine doesn't seem to be clocking too well compared to others.
It could be that you have a temperature issue and doubt it's the chip itself. When my systems freeze running -bigadv, it's usually indicative of a too high OC but your chip shouldn't have a problem at those frequencies. People are running 920s at higher clocks from what I've read. :confused:

What settings did you use? If you left it on stock voltages, it may be time to bump the Vcore up a bit.

It could be that you have a temperature issue and doubt it's the chip itself. When my systems freeze running -bigadv, it's usually indicative of a too high OC but your chip shouldn't have a problem at those frequencies. People are running 920s at higher clocks from what I've read. :confused:

What settings did you use? If you left it on stock voltages, it may be time to bump the Vcore up a bit.

Yeah, i'm seeing those threads where even people with 920's are getting much better overclocks than me. I always have Core Temp running in the background, and it showed a temperature of 81 degrees C at the time it hard locked on me. I didn't change the settings from me previous overclock of 3.67ghz, and just lowered the bus speeds to 170 to downclock it to 3.57ghz right now.

The settings still are

1.2685 Vcore
Auto for IOH volt
1.275 for QTI Volt
1.56 for Vdimm now that the memory is running a tad bit slower.

Now that i've got it clocked at 3.57ghz, it seems to be running about 2 degrees C cooler.

Based on the various threads here and at other forums i'm following, i'm starting to think my chip might be a dud as 930's are supposed to be insanely overclockable. I couldn't even get my chip to POST at any speeds over 3.67ghz unless I cranked Vcore to at least 1.35 which generated WAY too much heat.

Yeah, i'm seeing those threads where even people with 920's are getting much better overclocks than me.
BTW, one of the reasons your credit wasn't as high as it could have been is also related to the down time your computer underwent. The way the bonus system operates, you will see a correspondingly smaller bonus the longer it takes to upload results even if your TPF is good. In other words, you would have benefitted from a significantly higher credit at the same TPF without a system freeze depending how many hours your system was down. Just by keeping the same clock frequency and thus same TPF, but eliminating the cause of the freezes, will boost your PPD.

I always have Core Temp running in the background, and it showed a temperature of 81 degrees C at the time it hard locked on me. I didn't change the settings from me previous overclock of 3.67ghz, and just lowered the bus speeds to 170 to downclock it to 3.57ghz right now.

Now that i've got it clocked at 3.57ghz, it seems to be running about 2 degrees C cooler.
Could you try running the system with the side panel off just for 5 or 10 minutes? I am very interested to know what the temps will be like. 81 degrees may not be immediate cause for alarm but it might not be telling the whole story. If there's a problem with the HSF such as improper installation or malfunction of some kind, even seemingly OK temps won't be sustainable. When there is a big drop in temps with access to copious amounts of room temperature air, we can see the results with system stability whether it stays the same or improves.

Based on the various threads here and at other forums i'm following, i'm starting to think my chip might be a dud as 930's are supposed to be insanely overclockable. I couldn't even get my chip to POST at any speeds over 3.67ghz unless I cranked Vcore to at least 1.35 which generated WAY too much heat.
I would be very surprised that upon applying every conceivable technique to tune your system's performance, you found yourself unable to skirt the 4GHz barrier with confidence and stability, or at the very least increase your OC substantially from where it is ATM. I would expect no less from an i7 930 were I to build such a system.

Yeah, i'm seeing those threads where even people with 920's are getting much better overclocks than me. I always have Core Temp running in the background, and it showed a temperature of 81 degrees C at the time it hard locked on me. I didn't change the settings from me previous overclock of 3.67ghz, and just lowered the bus speeds to 170 to downclock it to 3.57ghz right now.

The settings still are

1.2685 Vcore
Auto for IOH volt
1.275 for QTI Volt
1.56 for Vdimm now that the memory is running a tad bit slower.

I think you have a problem. Check that the Cogage is seated correctly, with good thermal paste it shouldn't get that hot at 3.57GHz. Check that out and see whether it will go any lower. It should be loading around low-mid 70s.

I suggest you redo this overclock properly. Go back, lower the memory and CPU multipliers to as low as they will go, find out the max base clock for the chip. Then start increasing the CPU multiplier until it destabilizes, then decrease BCLK until it becomes stable again. Then start increasing the memory multiplier again to find the highest memory clock you can get.

Could you try running the system with the side panel off just for 5 or 10 minutes? I am very interested to know what the temps will be like. 81 degrees may not be immediate cause for alarm but it might not be telling the whole story. If there's a problem with the HSF such as improper installation or malfunction of some kind, even seemingly OK temps won't be sustainable. When there is a big drop in temps with access to copious amounts of room temperature air, we can see the results with system stability whether it stays the same or improves.
It might improve, but then again, it might not. It depends on the case.

BTW, one of the reasons your credit wasn't as high as it could have been is also related to the down time your computer underwent. The way the bonus system operates, you will see a correspondingly smaller bonus the longer it takes to upload results even if your TPF is good. In other words, you would have benefitted from a significantly higher credit at the same TPF without a system freeze depending how many hours your system was down. Just by keeping the same clock frequency and thus same TPF, but eliminating the cause of the freezes, will boost your PPD.

I would be very surprised that upon applying every conceivable technique to tune your system's performance, you found yourself unable to skirt the 4GHz barrier with confidence and stability, or at the very least increase your OC substantially from where it is ATM. I would expect no less from an i7 930 were I to build such a system.

I tried running it without the side panel for about an hour, and it runs 6-7 degrees cooler naked. Instead of high 70's low 80's, it was running low 70's to maybe 74 at most. I noticed that the back fan is hardly exhausting any air out of the case, so it makes me wonder whether there just isn't enough airflow.

I think you have a problem. Check that the Cogage is seated correctly, with good thermal paste it shouldn't get that hot at 3.57GHz. Check that out and see whether it will go any lower. It should be loading around low-mid 70s.

I suggest you redo this overclock properly. Go back, lower the memory and CPU multipliers to as low as they will go, find out the max base clock for the chip. Then start increasing the CPU multiplier until it destabilizes, then decrease BCLK until it becomes stable again. Then start increasing the memory multiplier again to find the highest memory clock you can get.

It might improve, but then again, it might not. It depends on the case.

Yeah, i'm going to go back and redo it in a couple of days as I want to get bigadv #2 done first. The 930 has a locked cpu multiplier, so I can only change the frequency of the processor by messing with the system bus speed. I did lower the multiplier to the lowest setting, 12x while I was overclocking but I never thought about testing to see at what bus speed the cpu will distabalize at. This is the first locked cpu i've overclocked, and messing with bus speeds makes me really nervous and scared.

How good do you guys think thermal paste is? I just found a tube of Arctic Silver in my drawer, but I think it is a good 5 years old :D When the side case is off, it does drop 6-7 degrees and runs consistently in the low 70's to 74 degrees at most versus the upper 70's to 81 degrees it runs with the side panel on. Should I try another thermal paste while I am at it? Maybe the stuff that came with the Cogage isn't too good?

The memory multiplier goes straight from 8x to 10x. If I set it to 10x, it would run the memory a bit faster than I would be comfortable with.

What case do you have? A drop of 7C taking the side panel off is not normal.

There are lots of good thermal pastes out there. Given what your case is like, I don't think your TRUE spirit is the problem, but you never know.

The 930 multiplier isn't completely locked, you can still modulate it downwards (and of course you can use Turbo Boost to move it up 1).

The memory multiplier in my BIOS goes from 3x to 8x. At the moment it's on 4x for my overclock. You should be able to change it down to at least 3x or 4x.

some things you can try looking into.
1. do you have turbo on or off?
2. i think your RAM is rated at 1.65v (you currently have it set to 1.58v).. get your system completely stable for a couple weeks before you tweak that setting

What case do you have? A drop of 7C taking the side panel off is not normal.

There are lots of good thermal pastes out there. Given what your case is like, I don't think your TRUE spirit is the problem, but you never know.

The 930 multiplier isn't completely locked, you can still modulate it downwards (and of course you can use Turbo Boost to move it up 1).

The memory multiplier in my BIOS goes from 3x to 8x. At the moment it's on 4x for my overclock. You should be able to change it down to at least 3x or 4x.

I just shot some pictures using my camera and i'll put some pics up tonight, but it is an old discontinued Coolermaster case for about 6 years ago. It has a clear plexiglass side, and a exhaust fan in the back. It is a mid tower case. Just for fun, I am going to take the side panel off and try blowing a fan onto that Cogage to see what happens.

some things you can try looking into.
1. do you have turbo on or off?
2. i think your RAM is rated at 1.65v (you currently have it set to 1.58v).. get your system completely stable for a couple weeks before you tweak that setting

I have turbo off. The memory I am using is rated at 1.65v @ 1600mhz. At 1366mhz, it is rated at 1.45mhz.Right now, it is running at 1360mhz which is why I have it at 1.56 now. I probably should take it down even more so that there is less heat.

I have turbo off. The memory I am using is rated at 1.65v @ 1600mhz. At 1366mhz, it is rated at 1.45mhz.Right now, it is running at 1360mhz which is why I have it at 1.56 now. I probably should take it down even more so that there is less heat.

bumping your RAM to 1.65v won't make a huge impact on your temperatures. it might raise it 1, maybe 2 degrees at most. however, undervolting RAM will definitely cause stability problems.

it's hard to narrow down what's causing your system lock-ups if you're tweaking multiple settings at a time. that's the only reason i recommend running RAM at manufacturer recommended 1.65v, get your system completely stable for a few days. *then* you can tweak RAM voltages down.

What is your memory timing set at? I have had two boards default memory timings to 7-7-7-20-1T. Unless you have really good memory, that isn't going to work when approaching 800 MHz.

I just shot some pictures using my camera and i'll put some pics up tonight, but it is an old discontinued Coolermaster case for about 6 years ago. It has a clear plexiglass side, and a exhaust fan in the back. It is a mid tower case
Get something decent, like an Antec 902 or something. Something with good airflow.

Put the RAM right up to 1.65V. It definitely won't be unstable there. The RAM doesn't produce much heat, so it doesn't really matter. However, as said previously, RAM doesn't produce much heat. Which is why people think the Corsair Dominator coolers are a waste of time.

What is your memory timing set at? I have had two boards default memory timings to 7-7-7-20-1T. Unless you have really good memory, that isn't going to work when approaching 800 MHz.
If it's rated for 1600MHz at CAS 7, then there should be no problems...as long as it's from someone reputable like Corsair or G.Skill or Kingston. If it's from some crappy manufacturer nobody's heard of, I wouldn't even run it at half speed and with double the latency.

There isn't much out there rated for CAS 7 at 1600. Everything I have is rated 9-9-9-24, including OCZ and Corsair. And for the record, the only brand I have had trouble with is Corsair. I would not assume the memory can do what it is rated for regardless of brand.

I tried running it without the side panel for about an hour, and it runs 6-7 degrees cooler naked. Instead of high 70's low 80's, it was running low 70's to maybe 74 at most. I noticed that the back fan is hardly exhausting any air out of the case, so it makes me wonder whether there just isn't enough airflow.
Having a good fan on the exhaust side of a case could make a difference with internal temperatures. Just replacing that fan with something better to properly vent the heat out should drop the temps at least a couple of degrees.

How good do you guys think thermal paste is? I just found a tube of Arctic Silver in my drawer, but I think it is a good 5 years old :D

When the side case is off, it does drop 6-7 degrees and runs consistently in the low 70's to 74 degrees at most versus the upper 70's to 81 degrees it runs with the side panel on. Should I try another thermal paste while I am at it? Maybe the stuff that came with the Cogage isn't too good?
I have no experience with the paste that is on your CPU. It could be good, then again it might be worth the trouble to replace it with the AS. Even if it is good, we don't know how well it was applied at the MC. Too little or too much paste can create problems. I would definitely redo it because it can only improve the situation and can't hurt.

There isn't much out there rated for CAS 7 at 1600. Everything I have is rated 9-9-9-24, including OCZ and Corsair. And for the record, the only brand I have had trouble with is Corsair. I would not assume the memory can do what it is rated for regardless of brand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...70147 1052129233 1052429371 1052528354&name=7

No, of course every manufacturer has deficient parts, it's an inescapable fact of life. However, it's much less likely that any given unit will fail on you if you buy it from someone that is reputable and is well known for quality (c.f. brands I named earlier). In any case, it's also much more likely you'll get decent customer support if and when a part does fail.

In any case, Cas 7 1600MHz is purely an example.

Having a good fan on the exhaust side of a case could make a difference with internal temperatures. Just replacing that fan with something better to properly vent the heat out should drop the temps at least a couple of degrees.
Dropping temps by 7C by opening the case tells me that airflow is almost non-existent in the case. He has 1 exhaust fan; what else? My 902 has front intakes and a back exhaust, as well as a 200mm exhaust on top as well.

Ther are two potential issues with memory timing. The first is your motherboard picking setting that are too fast for your actual memory at the speed you plan on running it if you let it "auto detect" timings. The second is that your memory may not run at the speed and timings it is rated for, regardless of what brand it is. Either would potentially limit your blck significantly. Argue with me if you want, but it is one of the first things I would check/try if I had an I7 that wouldn't get over 170 blck without extremely high voltages. I have had both of these severely limit overclocks.

Hey guys, I am running Corsair's XMS3 CL8 ram. I had the motherboard autodetect the timing settings, which it did very conservatively as this ram is specified to be able to run at 8-8-8-24-2T upto 1600mhz. This is what I manually put it at since the motherboard autodetected something that would be along the lines of CL9 rated memory.

Now that you guys mention, i'll have to go check my manual because I know that some motherboards are limited in what timing and speed they can stably run at when all 6 memory slots are occupied.

With it running at only 1360mhz right now, I figured that 1.56 volts should be more than enough since it is designed to run at 1333 mhz with 1.45 volts. I have always ran Corsair as i've never had any problems with them.

I also wonder whether the power supply could be the culprit. The PSU's intake fan actually sits right on top of the Cogage and would thus be sucking in super heated air off of the heat sink to cool the PSU. It is a 5+ year old 550 watt Antec.

I'll do some more investigating after bigadv #2 finishes since i'm very curious to see how quickly it will finish the WU uninterrupted at its current lower speed.

I suppose i'll at the very least look at some stronger fans as more air wouldn't hurt. If this was a bigger case, I would seriously consider the Corsair H50 as it appears to be able to do very good with mild overclocks.

Thanks again guys.

oldcomp1.jpg

oldcomp2.jpg

As promised, here are some pics of my folding rig. I'm sorry that I can't get better pics as space is tight in that room since I have stuff piled high everywhere. I more or less cleared a little walkable path to that old desk with the folding rig on it.

That monitor is one of the earlier 1024x768 CRT's that came out a very long time ago. The keyboard and 3 button mouse you see were salvaged from my old IBM Aptiva which is in storage.

Ther are two potential issues with memory timing. The first is your motherboard picking setting that are too fast for your actual memory at the speed you plan on running it if you let it "auto detect" timings. The second is that your memory may not run at the speed and timings it is rated for, regardless of what brand it is. Either would potentially limit your blck significantly. Argue with me if you want, but it is one of the first things I would check/try if I had an I7 that wouldn't get over 170 blck without extremely high voltages. I have had both of these severely limit overclocks.
In my experience the motherboard is usually too conservative, and either runs it too slowly at auto, or puts too much volts into it. In any case, I never suggested he run the memory at tight timings right off the bat; while for -bigadv memory timings and speeds seem important, core clock speeds are more important. I did tell him to drop the memory multiplier down as far as it could go to test BCLK, I don't really expect CAS 7 or even CAS 6 timings to be a limiting factor at 800MHz and below.

I also wonder whether the power supply could be the culprit. The PSU's intake fan actually sits right on top of the Cogage and would thus be sucking in super heated air off of the heat sink to cool the PSU. It is a 5+ year old 550 watt Antec.
Unless you have a 4870 or something it should be fine...maybe. That PSU is starting to move along in years, maybe it's time for a replacement.

Oh, and get a new case. To be completely frank, that thing there is a complete PoS. Either replace it with something better or get some Gentle Typhoons or something and hook them up, try improve airflow a bit. You shouldn't have to run the system with the side panel off to keep it under 80C.

Unless you have a 4870 or something it should be fine...maybe. That PSU is starting to move along in years, maybe it's time for a replacement..
Actually you bring up a good point and something I completely overlooked. Amd, isn't your PSU half a decade old or more? It's very possible it just might have seen better years. PSUs wearing long in the tooth are known to cause stability issues. I have experienced that myself in the past. Something to look into if all else fails.

Yeah, that Antec 550 watt is 6 years old. This is the 3rd computer build that it has been used for :D

I suppose that it is probably running near the end of its useful life as it just occurred to me that PSU's that are unstable can cause stability problems. I got some good usage out of that thing. I've got to save up some more money first, but I think i'll change the case and PSU at the same time. I should have never reused this case, but I was trying to save a little money. This case was designed for the days when processors didn't put out anywhere near the heat they do today.

If your PSU is unstable I wouldn't really worry about stability problems. I would worry about it blowing up and taking all your components with it.

No, that case was designed for people who work in shiny offices pushing numbers around all day and who never use their computers at more than 20% load. It was supposed to be quiet and (kind of) good looking. It was never designed to cope with the kind of heat that a CPU can push out on full load

If your PSU is unstable I wouldn't really worry about stability problems. I would worry about it blowing up and taking all your components with it.

No, that case was designed for people who work in shiny offices pushing numbers around all day and who never use their computers at more than 20% load. It was supposed to be quiet and (kind of) good looking. It was never designed to cope with the kind of heat that a CPU can push out on full load

That case used to be good looking, but it has taken a beating over the years. It was discontinued a while back and isn't sold anymore. I actually bought that case a long time ago because Micro Center was using it to demo Doom 3 and it looked so good.

It was actually perfectly adequate when it was running my AMD Ahtlon 64 FX51(you can still see that sticker) along with two 7800's in SLI. The 7800's did run a bit warm, but nothing to be concerned about.

Back