Equifax Tweeted Link to Phishing Site

monkeymagick

[H]News
Adding more fuel to the continuous flame of Equifax's security boondoggle, the company retweeted a link to a phishing website instead of its own proper site the company setup for possible victims to check-in. The Verge dug in deeper and found out that this "Tim" fellow was posting tweets a sfar back as September 9th. The company has issued an apology and statement stating that the wrong links have been taken down.

Equifax's entire response to the breach has been a mess. The company's website set off alarms for lawyers who worried it might waive victims' right to sue the company, and the response phone line representatives actually had no information and just directed concerned consumers back to the website.

So everything can be channeled down to its IT department, down to some IT personal, down to an infected computer with a backdoor they could not avoid and then back to business as usual.

Or they simply don't give a sheep and go straight back to business as usual.

Darn it! This was the music major's big idea to "fix everything" too.

You mean the link we tweeted was not a good thing?
Now what do we do?

I know, I'll ask my teenage nephew, he really knows computers!

Maybe this whole "IT Security" thing is a little more complicated than she thought.

I love it, the failure at every level is epic. Evidence of how inept and uncaring many workers are, how we aren't holding them accountable, and how that coddling negatively impacts our society.

the bigger issue is that they are using a external domain that looks like a scam/fake site (you generally teach people to never click on links like that) not sure why they think doing this is a good idea as its extremely bad practice

even the protected by VIsa thing you get when it thinks the transaction is suspicious the website seemed suspicious the first time it came up as its home page is blank and even doing a whois lookup on it looks suspicious (at the long time ago)

Regulations are bad! Keep the government out of business. The free market will sort this out. #MAGA

Darn it! This was the music major's big idea to "fix everything" too.

You mean the link we tweeted was not a good thing?
Now what do we do?

I know, I'll ask my teenage nephew, he really knows computers!

Maybe this whole "IT Security" thing is a little more complicated than she thought.

Susan Mauldin's interview for Equifax CSO:

Last edited:
Back