Equifax Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of 143 Million

been doing some reading on this and the fact is we are totally and 100% screwed. There is a good chance the majority of us just had our personal data handed over to Nigerian princes.
What is crazy is there is really NOTHING you can do to protect yourself. A credit monitoring service is just that; they look for changes in your credit, like applying for loans, etc. But this is all after the fact when the damage is done. It is kind of like hiring a guard to guard your house and then taking a vacation. When you get back the guard says; "Oh, by the way, while you were gone some guys back up with a panel truck and took all your stuff. Just letting you know."

Another insane fact. What companies like Equafax does is technically illegal. They are brokering and selling YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION without your knowledge or your consent. There were hearings before congress about this a few years back; but companies like Equafax have a huge lobbying presents in DC so they were given a pass.

been doing some reading on this and the fact is we are totally and 100% screwed. There is a good chance the majority of us just had our personal data handed over to Nigerian princes.
What is crazy is there is really NOTHING you can do to protect yourself. A credit monitoring service is just that; they look for changes in your credit, like applying for loans, etc. But this is all after the fact when the damage is done. It is kind of like hiring a guard to guard your house and then taking a vacation. When you get back the guard says; "Oh, by the way, while you were gone some guys back up with a panel truck and took all your stuff. Just letting you know."

Another insane fact. What companies like Equafax does is technically illegal. They are brokering and selling YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION without your knowledge or your consent. There were hearings before congress about this a few years back; but companies like Equafax have a huge lobbying presents in DC so they were given a pass.

But there's no way a corporate entity didn't have everyone's best interests in mind! The free market doesn't punish consumers! I bet Obama/Hillary/Benghazi are at the bottom of this, WHY WON'T THE MSM TELL US THE TRUTH?

But there's no way a corporate entity didn't have everyone's best interests in mind! The free market doesn't punish consumers! I bet Obama/Hillary/Benghazi are at the bottom of this, WHY WON'T THE MSM TELL US THE TRUTH?
I'm not making any political statements regardless of what you think. It is true; congress looked in to the practices of companies like Equafax exactly because what they are doing is illegal; and they were given a pass because their argument was they are a business providing a service. Well, prostitutes and drug dealer can make the same argument.

So now the news is that the hackers exploited a flaw in the software that had been patched months before the attack, but Equifax had not implemented the update. You would think that a firm that is entrusted to keep data secure would be on top of security patches for its software! If there was anything that might spark class action lawsuit, this could be it.
I have a feeling of a possible premeditated sabotage. It's the no shi* Sherlock of possibilities.

I think it's pretty well accepted that psychologically, humans are bad at assessing future negative risks (We won't get hacked!) and overestimate their odds of positive risks (Gonna win the Powerball!).

Gives a lot of folks here, myself included, jobs I would imagine, although it also gives the same folks a lot of heartburn and drinking problems...
Some factors are in play: Ego, power, greed, just running with a plan and letting the former 3 take over.

We forget we're human and not some super perfect being. We're pretenders alright.

managed to get through equifax's freeze process this morning. at least my fifth attempt.

they are the only one of the 3 groups that has clear text SSN on the form you fill out.

morons.

Back