Equifax Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of 143 Million

I dont get the US credit system. Here people are given loans depending on what they actually earn and spend. Nobody got a "score rating". And certainly not being tracked.

If you are a bad payer you get placed in "RKI" until settled, for everyone else there is no listing anywhere.

Experian is trying to get permission for a "positive list", but getting nowhere :)

Jesus fucking christ. I've never even used their services, and my bank typically uses info from TransUnion. Why was MY info stored on their swiss cheese website?

This is the 2nd time in 2 years. First the TurboTax hack in 2015 where they ended up getting my entire fucking tax return, and now this. I'm never going to be able to buy a house. NEVER.:rage:

A lot of people are saying if you sign up for the year of identity theft protection, you lose the right to sue them due to the arbitration clause. I'm not sure if that really applies retroactively, but I haven't looked into it myself.

A lot of people are saying if you sign up for the year of identity theft protection, you lose the right to sue them due to the arbitration clause. I'm not sure if that really applies retroactively, but I haven't looked into it myself.

Yeah I was wondering if they would try that. Under law they can't hold you hostage like that. You can't give up your right to be made whole without a formal settlement contract. Any judge would laugh that out. That's just there to discourage you.

Jesus fucking christ. I've never even used their services, and my bank typically uses info from TransUnion. Why was MY info stored on their swiss cheese website?

This is the 2nd time in 2 years. First the TurboTax hack in 2015 where they ended up getting my entire fucking tax return, and now this. I'm never going to be able to buy a house. NEVER.:rage:

Easy Captain... :)

You're a victim of fraud and you can write to the 3 credit bureaus with a police report and have a fraud alert put on your 3 files where anytime anyone goes to extend you credit (loan, credit card, etc...) that they are told to call the phone number (on your credit file) to confirm it is indeed you.

Did this four years ago, and it's (in my mind at least) just as good as all those credit monitoring services that cost $15+/month. For free, for seven years.

And with yesterday's CC fraud, I will extend it from my remaining 3 years from the previous one to 7 years from now.

No one's taking credit out in my name... And I've never had credit refused because of the fraud alert on my files. I have great credit, and lenders are happy to go through the process of verifying it is me. This has happened to tens of millions of people so the credit companies have processes for verifying it really is you.

You do need to get a police report though, so that's a little bit of a hassle, but worth it to me.

Still friggin hate the credit bureaus. Livid they can keep my personal information and the law states I can only access it once a year so those mother f'ers can sell me other services.

For those really worried just freeze your reports then unfreeze them whenever you apply for credit. Once you're well established, apps for new credit should be rare anyway.

I enrolled and it said I may be a victim. Without any information given but my last name and social, how are they going to get a hold of me on the 13th when my enrollment starts?

What do I do?

When I went to the site, it gave me an enrollment date of 9-14. It is up to YOU to re-visit the site and complete the enrollment process on or after that time. They claimed I wasn't on the bad list but at this point, don't trust them.

Not buying the "We didn't know" story from the 3 who sold stock. Either the company's cyber incident response sucked or those folks had to know. In either case, guessing their legal staff just had all vacations cancelled until further notice.

Easy Captain... :)

You're a victim of fraud and you can write to the 3 credit bureaus with a police report and have a fraud alert put on your 3 files where anytime anyone goes to extend you credit (loan, credit card, etc...) that they are told to call the phone number (on your credit file) to confirm it is indeed you.

Did this four years ago, and it's (in my mind at least) just as good as all those credit monitoring services that cost $15+/month. For free, for seven years.

And with yesterday's CC fraud, I will extend it from my remaining 3 years from the previous one to 7 years from now.

No one's taking credit out in my name... And I've never had credit refused because of the fraud alert on my files. I have great credit, and lenders are happy to go through the process of verifying it is me. This has happened to tens of millions of people so the credit companies have processes for verifying it really is you.

You do need to get a police report though, so that's a little bit of a hassle, but worth it to me.

Still friggin hate the credit bureaus. Livid they can keep my personal information and the law states I can only access it once a year so those mother f'ers can sell me other services.
Can you give me a little more info on this? Maybe a sample letter? This sounds like a good idea.

according to Equifax upwards of 209Million have been affected

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

The information accessed primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver’s license numbers.

In addition, credit card numbers for approximately 209,000 U.S. consumers

, and certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers, were accessed. As part of its investigation of this application vulnerability, Equifax also identified unauthorized access to limited personal information for certain UK and Canadian residents. Equifax will work with UK and Canadian regulators to determine appropriate next steps. The company has found no evidence that personal information of consumers in any other country has been impacted.

Thank You
Your enrollment date for TrustedID Premier is: 09/12/2017

Please be sure to mark your calendar as you will not receive additional reminders. On or after your enrollment date, please return to faq.trustedidpremier.com and click the link to continue through the enrollment process.

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.

Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier.

You must be one of those lazy millennials like I heard about on the news. I hear they can't get houses because of participation awards and are to blame for everything nowadays.

I checked my info on the website checker and it says I may be impacted.

Then I went back and tried some random last names and random 6 digits, also says I'm affected. :/

Yeah I was wondering. The website is indeed registered to equifax. But I think they are just mass panicing right now, 1) Trying to figure out how to minimize lawsuits 2) Trying to get people to pay for protection through fear.

So who wants to place a bet? In a couple days they will:
1: Ask for a credit card number (even though you won't be charged) to receive protection. They will auto-bill you for protection after 1 year unless you opt out.
2: Say you waive your right to sue for 1 year of credit monitoring
3: They offer you an upgraded protection for a small fee.

Stupid Equifax is being stupid.

I'm putting together a paper / letter this weekend to send to congress to separate social security from credit.

I checked and it said I probably wasn't affected. Still signing up anyways.

I enrolled and it said I may be a victim. Without any information given but my last name and social, how are they going to get a hold of me on the 13th when my enrollment starts?

What do I do?

The web page clearly states that you return to the web page at that date to enroll.

This is making me RAGE.

I received a letter from the FBI last December that stated that complete details of my identity, including SS#, address, phone# etc were found on a criminal they caught. When I called them to get more information, they stated that I'd be well advised to watch my credit report. I went a step further and froze my credit with the 3 major bureaus, of course including Equifax.

Two days ago I did a temporary lift of that freeze because I want to refinance my mortgage. I had to pay Equifax $10 to do so, which in itself is a criminal act bit Experian is the exact same.

Now this breach means my freezing the credit (for $10 at the time) and temporarily unfreezing it (another $10) did absolutely nothing because of this breach. Cool.

To top it off, I sign up for their monitoring, which is bullshit because after a year guess what, I will have to pay for that. For fuck-ups of this scale, I should get at least 10 years of free credit monitoring.
They break your shit, then sell you another of their products (if you can call that a product; it's probably a 10 line python script running on a 486) and they fucking get away with it.
And.. I can not get that monitoring before the 13th! So a nice 5 days for criminals to use my information freely. I can't even monitor it.

Fuck that entire system. Square in the ass.

I checked and it said I probably wasn't affected. Still signing up anyways.
And isn't it funny, because without that breach you probably would not sign up for this. But even though you're not impacted, you feel in financial peril so you do what you can to mitigate.
Only that now, they have a paying customer because if you're not affected, you'll be paying them for this 'service'.
Not blaming you at all, but I think this company should be fucking punished for their shit security, given the responsibility they have accepted. You should not have to pay to feel secure.

DO NOT sign up for the TrustedID monitoring OR check if you were affected on the Equifax website. It looks like Equifax snuck in terms that say you agree to WAIVE your right to a class action lawsuit if you check if you were affected. This is beyond shady--I found out too late. Wait for now until things become clearer if they intend to screw over people by forcing them to waive their right to sue but it certainly looks like it.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/07/e...e-questions-than-answers/?ncid=mobilenavtrend

Careful enrolling in their protection on that site...
AGREEMENT TO RESOLVE ALL DISPUTES BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE SECTION CAREFULLY BECAUSE IT AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS BY REQUIRING ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES (EXCEPT AS SET FORTH BELOW) AND A WAIVER OF THE ABILITY TO BRING OR PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION, CLASS ARBITRATION, OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVE ACTION. ARBITRATION PROVIDES A QUICK AND COST EFFECTIVE MECHANISM FOR RESOLVING DISPUTES, BUT YOU SHOULD BE AWARE THAT IT ALSO LIMITS YOUR RIGHTS TO DISCOVERY AND APPEAL.

These guys need to be put in jail. What, they don't monitor themselves? Worse than pathetic.
Edit- Kyle, they are going to need that lube for all the angry goats3chs in the story below.

Last edited:
Those that signed up are for sure screwed. Not sure if people like me who checked but didn't yet sign up are screwed since there was not "I Accept" button on terms for that page. I was concerned and looked around a bit about this. I'm not a lawyer, but it looks like you don't click an "I agree" button until you sign up for the monitoring service so the terms might not be enforceable against those that merely checked to see if they were affected. I don't doubt that Equifax's lawyers will argue that we agreed to waive our rights but not sure if they will succeed.

So a nice 5 days for criminals to use my information freely.

They were breached months ago so whoever stole it has had plenty of time to do what they will. At this point I don't even care anymore... all my info including fingerprints got stolen during the OPM breach.

Then they put out big announcements saying you get free credit monitoring for X number of years (think OPM's was 3 years). Can't exactly go ask for a new set of fingerprints and asking for a new SSN is probably a big headache of it's own.

It's stupid cause hackers/other government entities can play the long game and know that they just have to wait a bit before they can start using your info and you won't know unless you keep paying for ongoing credit monitoring.

so essentially what im getting form this is we are all screwed

Sure seems like it.

Hell, I'm not sure I even trust these outlets enough to throw the free 90 day fraud watch flag any more.

I realize we live in a non secured digital age but some of this is just ridiculous after a point.

Sure seems like it.

Hell, I'm not sure I even trust these outlets enough to throw the free 90 day fraud watch flag any more.

I realize we live in a non secured digital age but some of this is just ridiculous after a point.

i completely forgot what i used equifax for at least all my shit was handled by experian

i completely forgot what i used equifax for at least all my shit was handled by experian

Yeah, I used either one of them because it would run the free 90 days for all three.

I'm looking over my records now.

I had first read about that in paper... gosh... at least 5 years or so ago. I've done it a handful of times since I first learned about it. Never did anything else with any of them.

Here I thought I was doing a good thing.

I've seen before (I can't find where currently) that a judge was able to toss out a TOS and permit the lawsuit anyways. Especially under shady circumstances as this, it probably wouldn't hold up in court.

I might as well buy that barrel of Passon Lube. I'm going to need quite a bit of it in the coming days it seems.

Any non-equifax 3rd party credible credit check/fraud/protection services we should be enrolling in now?

Since we're all likely screwed I'm going to comment on something else:

Thanks for linking that big tub of lube, Kyle. Amazon is now showing me some weird shit on the 'items related to recently viewed'.

So are they going to offer a year of free credit monitoring to all affected customers via TransUnion or Experian? :)

It better be more than a year. It's not as if the compromised data just disappears off of the internet after a year.

Besides, it has been suggested to me that monitoring really isn't what we need.

We need legal credit consultation and restoration services, which are WAY more expensive and notably absent from the free services offered...

Reactions: PaulP
like this
Thank You
Your enrollment date for TrustedID Premier is:09/12/2017
Please be sure to mark your calendar as you will not receive additional reminders. On or after your enrollment date, please return to faq.trustedidpremier.com and click the link to continue through the enrollment process.​

Wut.... After all this they're going to try to save a few bucks by pushing out people's enrollment dates by 4 days and hoping they forget to actually enroll? What a bunch of fuckers.

Back