Equifax Adds 2.4 Million More Consumers to the Compromised List

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Equifax as announced they have identified 2.4M more consumers that are confirmed to have their personal information stolen last year. Supposedly this group has exposed partial driver's license information and names, but not their social security numbers. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving. Sheesh.

"This is not about newly discovered stolen data," said Paulino do Rego Barros, Jr., Interim Chief Executive Officer. "It's about sifting through the previously identified stolen data, analyzing other information in our databases that was not taken by the attackers, and making connections that enabled us to identify additional individuals."

Equifax as announced they have identified 2.4M more consumers that are confirmed to have their personal information stolen last year. Supposedly this group has exposed partial driver's license information and names, but not their social security numbers. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving. Sheesh.

"This is not about newly discovered stolen data," said Paulino do Rego Barros, Jr., Interim Chief Executive Officer. "It's about sifting through the previously identified stolen data, analyzing other information in our databases that was not taken by the attackers, and making connections that enabled us to identify additional individuals."

Meh my data is already gone courtesy of OPM. Though I am sure this will just make it that much easier...

These days I just assume everyone has it and lock down whatever I can.

with all the work the government is doing to not only protect them, but give them more money..sadly NO
Yeah that's either the congressmen have financial stake in Equifax, or Equifax went to congress with a general statement "You wouldn't want others to know that strip club you swiped your card at would you?" line.

Because seriously fuck them and their "Here's your 1 year of free monitoring" bullshit.

And all these "another XXXX identifies possibly gone" why don't they just say everyone's shit was taken and be upfront from the beginning.

Yeah that's either the congressmen have financial stake in Equifax, or Equifax went to congress with a general statement "You wouldn't want others to know that strip club you swiped your card at would you?" line.

Because seriously fuck them and their "Here's your 1 year of free monitoring" bullshit.

And all these "another XXXX identifies possibly gone" why don't they just say everyone's shit was taken and be upfront from the beginning.

They didnt say up front because they probably didnt know. We dont know how their systems are architected. Its possible the compromise affected one database and they thought that was it but discovered that upon further examination they found another. Forensics takes quite some time unfortunately.

The one year thing has to change. If your SSN gets out its not like it will be invalid in 1 year. No you're effectively stuck with it for life (there are some rare cases in which you can get it changed).

The one year thing has to change. If your SSN gets out its not like it will be invalid in 1 year. No you're effectively stuck with it for life (there are some rare cases in which you can get it changed).
Yup, if some other company loses your shit, they offer 1 year fine, then you go after them for more than 1 year protection, the keepers of said protection loses your shit that should be a lifetime of monitoring for no charge, however congress is scrambling hard to make sure you can't go after them, so here's your ham sammich now shut up plebe.

I baffled why they are even still a company.

photo.jpg

They'll do another internal study, blame it on some low-level employee, and continue as before.

In before they finally admit the whole country is compromised, or at least those with any credit history.

Love how this story rarely seems to be getting much national coverage on t.v. lately. When I do see something, its a quick blurb and not heard about again for weeks or months. Things that make you go hmmm. . . .

Love how this story rarely seems to be getting much national coverage on t.v. lately. When I do see something, its a quick blurb and not heard about again for weeks or months. Things that make you go hmmm. . . .

really activates the almonds no?

If only they could find some new-hire to take the blame. I can see it now, "I was told I was promoted to the drop-box department".

I am basically guaranteed to have my data used at this point.

"Seems like you bought a plane and a yacht in miama and Australia last month and defaulted"

(Me) yup that's me, buying planes and stuff.

Back