EQNext" will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Guild Wars 2 with the Combat Mode mod (That isn't banned but also not supported) is the most fun combat interface in an MMO that I've ever tried. It genuinely makes WVW a lot more fun. It adds a target retical to the screen and removes tab targeting, whatever your character is looking at is what gets attacked. It makes the Thief shortbow a beautiful thing. I think that game revolutionized MMO combat in that it has reflexes, timing, strategy, and positional awareness on an individual level.

Yes the PVE sucks... but who cares about PVE?

I actually think EQ1 is still the best MMO out there today. I tried EQ2 for awhile but the feeling just wasn't the same.

I believe the biggest thing about EQ1 was the tempo of combat. Some might call it slow and boring. But to me, it was just the right pace. You couldn't just kill hordes of monsters without a scratch. You could coordinate attacks (mez this guy, cleric needs mana, slow that mob, attack this add because its a healer)... You could fight 3+ mobs and have the battle take 5 minutes to kill them. 3 mobs today in todays games (like GW2) would take you about 5-20 seconds to blow up and you don't care about crowd control, if a mob is a healer, no need to slow, damage of time.) Just whack a mole.

EQ2 had the opposite problem. So many abilities on the hotbar that had no affect on the outcome of the battle. Dots that lasted 12 seconds. Why even call it a dot? So all you do is play whack a mole on the hot bar as they light up. If you could whack those moles you'd win the battle.

If they can bring back the tactics of EQ1 battles by slowing down the pace. I'm playing it. That is the worse thing that changed in modern MMOs is the pace of combat and the lack of any tactics or strategy. EQ1 wasn't great in that regard, but its still light years beyond what we have in modern MMOs.

Quoted for emphasis and general posting excellence. (sarcasm = no).

Guild Wars 2 with the Combat Mode mod (That isn't banned but also not supported) is the most fun combat interface in an MMO that I've ever tried. It genuinely makes WVW a lot more fun. It adds a target retical to the screen and removes tab targeting, whatever your character is looking at is what gets attacked. It makes the Thief shortbow a beautiful thing. I think that game revolutionized MMO combat in that it has reflexes, timing, strategy, and positional awareness on an individual level.

Yes the PVE sucks... but who cares about PVE?

how does that mod work with ground targetable spells? I haven't tried the mod but I've seen it mentioned and I think arenanet would have done well with making that the default interface of the game.

I actually think EQ1 is still the best MMO out there today. I tried EQ2 for awhile but the feeling just wasn't the same.

I believe the biggest thing about EQ1 was the tempo of combat. Some might call it slow and boring. But to me, it was just the right pace. You couldn't just kill hordes of monsters without a scratch. You could coordinate attacks (mez this guy, cleric needs mana, slow that mob, attack this add because its a healer)... You could fight 3+ mobs and have the battle take 5 minutes to kill them. 3 mobs today in todays games (like GW2) would take you about 5-20 seconds to blow up and you don't care about crowd control, if a mob is a healer, no need to slow, damage of time.) Just whack a mole.

EQ2 had the opposite problem. So many abilities on the hotbar that had no affect on the outcome of the battle. Dots that lasted 12 seconds. Why even call it a dot? So all you do is play whack a mole on the hot bar as they light up. If you could whack those moles you'd win the battle.

If they can bring back the tactics of EQ1 battles by slowing down the pace. I'm playing it. That is the worse thing that changed in modern MMOs is the pace of combat and the lack of any tactics or strategy. EQ1 wasn't great in that regard, but its still light years beyond what we have in modern MMOs.

I looked into going back into EQ not too long ago. I figured it'd be neat to play bard as that was a class that always interested me back in the day. I started reading up on class tactics and got into how the mez/hate tables worked. I was dumbfounded at the relative complexity of a simple act like pulling as a bard.

Would have played but all my characters were gone for some reason and support was awful when I sent in a ticket...

I looked into going back into EQ not too long ago. I figured it'd be neat to play bard as that was a class that always interested me back in the day. I started reading up on class tactics and got into how the mez/hate tables worked. I was dumbfounded at the relative complexity of a simple act like pulling as a bard.

Would have played but all my characters were gone for some reason and support was awful when I sent in a ticket...

I was tempted to make a return as well, but I held out.

I play some standard EQ sometimes. I was amazed at how many still play and how well the economy has stood up even after 4 years of not playing. 1/3rd of my gear ended up being "prestige" and I can't use it without subscription, though. I can't see paying a sub for a game I play for a few hours a month.

I played EQ for a while as a cleric, but I just got bored around level 15. I always felt like I needed so much money to invest in my equipment just to stay alive.

I wonder how crafting is going to be. If it sucks... then just fuck it.

But then I've never played an EQ game so,..... I wouldn't be disappointed much in it, just the fact that it's another game I won't want to play because it doesn't interest me.

I loved the crafting system in EQ2. For 14 months after launch, the top killer in the game was "The Forge".

It was a beautiful thing...

I think it was LDoN that gave everyone a really easy start, I can't remember though. It's been a while.

Easy relative to pre PoP EQ, yea. Easy compared to pretty much any other MMO on the market? No.

I think DoN was the turning point where they made things attainable for the grouper. It even helped mid level raiders fill in gear slots until they could be upgraded to raid gear.

Easy relative to pre PoP EQ, yea. Easy compared to pretty much any other MMO on the market? No.

I think DoN was the turning point where they made things attainable for the grouper. It even helped mid level raiders fill in gear slots until they could be upgraded to raid gear.

I actually kinda liked LDoN. I really didn't expect myself to.

Considering DoN was LDoN 2.0 he would be right. LDoN was when things became attainable for the grouper.

Considering DoN was LDoN 2.0 he would be right. LDoN was when things became attainable for the grouper.

It was still difficult running level 65 dungeons. Unless you already had VT or EP gear, you had to grind out hundreds of dungeons to be able to afford all the gear slots and augments needed to put your gear on par with VT gear. Risk vs. reward was still high. DoN had a much more forgiving risk vs. reward progression. You could even trade the currency. LDoN currency was hardcoded to your character.

Anyway, I didn't say he was wrong. I was pointing out that "attainable" is a relative term when it comes to EQ.

I raided fairly seriously as a Bard and Wizard since Beta up until SoF and loved everything about the Bard. Pulling was wild and fun. The bag of tricks was unreal; especially if you went to the trouble to get all the magic items available to help.

Some of the most fun I've ever had in a game was when we were figuring things out in Planes of Power and most head bangingly frustrating times in Uqua etc before things got sorted.

Bards are worth every bit of effort they take getting used to them and just be thankful you'd never know a world without /melody or Fading Memories. :p

I can understand people feeling nostalgia about wow, ultima, daoc, or lineage. Anyone who feels that way about eq is just feeling that way because it was their first mmo, the game was shit all around.

I'm hoping this won't be like that, but don't be stupid, absolutely nothing stood out about eq.

I can understand people feeling nostalgia about wow, ultima, daoc, or lineage. Anyone who feels that way about eq is just feeling that way because it was their first mmo, the game was shit all around.

I'm hoping this won't be like that, but don't be stupid, absolutely nothing stood out about eq.

That is your opinion, there are many people who feel very different.

Does this rag smell like chloroform?

Debbie Downer of the thread. I thought there was plenty that stood out about EQ. The difficulty and the massiveness of the world mainly. There was a lot of freedom in EQ, that really isn't around as much anymore.

Debbie Downer of the thread. I thought there was plenty that stood out about EQ. The difficulty and the massiveness of the world mainly. There was a lot of freedom in EQ, that really isn't around as much anymore.

Couldn't agree more. The original EQ wasn't playing on rails. I still vividly remember stepping out of Halas for the very first time and getting pwned by "an ice goblin scout" in Beta3 and thinking to myself; well, looks like I need to make a bunch of friends in here.

Over the EQ1 was the best time of my life in gaming, in no small part because there was no set path for players to take and because you couldn't just solo all of PvE.

The "hero on a rail" and solo everything up to raid content makes today's MMOs suck.

I still vividly remember stepping out of Halas for the very first time and getting pwned by "an ice goblin scout" in Beta3 and thinking to myself; well, looks like I need to make a bunch of friends in here.

I loved having to build up to being a badass in that game. I also loved that you would often get into some pretty epic struggles to survive.

Even the lore is good, IMO. Shit, do any of you remember when the Sleeper was awoken on the Rathe? That was one of those moments that (should have) defined all MMO's to come.

Even the lore is good, IMO. Shit, do any of you remember when the Sleeper was awoken on the Rathe? That was one of those moments that (should have) defined all MMO's to come.

I didn't get too far into Everquest for that to mean much to me.

My defining moment in MMOs? Spending time off and on for a month in WoW to get my epic warlock steed, only for the DAY AFTERWARDS for Blizzard to announce they were stopping the quest and giving the mount away for free from that point on. Not a happy camper.

My defining moment in MMOs? Spending time off and on for a month in WoW to get my epic warlock steed, only for the DAY AFTERWARDS for Blizzard to announce they were stopping the quest and giving the mount away for free from that point on. Not a happy camper.

The Sleeper was basically the most powerful being in game, and "unkillable". When he was woken up, he shreded the raid in seconds, then proceeded to rampage every zone on the continent, including low level ones. Basically, almost everyone on that entire continent was killed with very little warning. Awesome.

The Sleeper was basically the most powerful being in game, and "unkillable". When he was woken up, he shreded the raid in seconds, then proceeded to rampage every zone on the continent, including low level ones. Basically, almost everyone on that entire continent was killed with very little warning. Awesome.

Then there was that group that did kill him. That's just insanity.

I understood that, I mean I did hear about it when it happened. I just mean that I never really knew what kind of effort was required to awaken The Sleeper in the first place.

I agree with this if you are looking at it from a more modern perspetive, but when EQ came out it was the first of its kind in addition to being the "my first MMO" for many. One should keep that in mind in their critique.

I understood that, I mean I did hear about it when it happened. I just mean that I never really knew what kind of effort was required to awaken The Sleeper in the first place.

I think keying an entire guild for ST was a bigger hurdle than clearing the zone itself. If only because it was a big time sink. But, to clear ST in one night at the time was a serious feat. Some of those dragons were still tough even years later.

. Ouch, I bet not.... Welcome to the dumbing down of mmo games where everyone is uber :(. Hoping and thinking the market is finally shifting away from that some with games like wildstar, archeage, and camelotunchained.

Back