EQNext" will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Been Waitin for this for so long.. Fell in love with EQ back when it came out! Hopefully EQ Next isn't a flop like EQ2 was when it first was released

I am looking forward to this as well, I have been playing Project 99 in the meantime :)

Been Waitin for this for so long.. Fell in love with EQ back when it came out! Hopefully EQ Next isn't a flop like EQ2 was when it first was released
Eq2 competed with wow's release, but it was a damn good game on release just terribly coded for performance.

No it didn't. They rushed it out before wow and it still couldn't compete.

What?

EQ2: November 4th 2004
WoW: November 23th 2004

EQ2 may have came "first" but that close together you can't honestly say they weren't competing against each other.

EQ2 had horrible performance issues. They designed the game for "future" specs and it didn't take into account multiple core processors and things to come.

Not to mention EQ2 had one of the biggest over-uses of instances in any mmo (for the time).

Going from Everquest 1, where the entire world was open and not instanced, to EQ2 where EVERY SINGLE bloody thing was instanced was a huge downer imo, the world felt so disconnected because of this.

Really hope that EQnext doesn't overuse instances. I want the "open" world to be one single instance, when you talk to a friend or someone and want to meet up you shouldn't have to instance jump to find them, just go where they are and bam, same freaking world.

What?

EQ2: November 4th 2004
WoW: November 23th 2004

EQ2 may have came "first" but that close together you can't honestly say they weren't competing against each other.

EQ2 had horrible performance issues. They designed the game for "future" specs and it didn't take into account multiple core processors and things to come.

Not to mention EQ2 had one of the biggest over-uses of instances in any mmo (for the time).

Going from Everquest 1, where the entire world was open and not instanced, to EQ2 where EVERY SINGLE bloody thing was instanced was a huge downer imo, the world felt so disconnected because of this.

Really hope that EQnext doesn't overuse instances. I want the "open" world to be one single instance, when you talk to a friend or someone and want to meet up you shouldn't have to instance jump to find them, just go where they are and bam, same freaking world.

yeah I remember choosing between EQ2 and WoW at launch, the instancing in EQ2 (an old EQ buddy was trying to sell me on it) made an impression on me so I chose WoW.

I have tried to play EQ2 multiple times, and while the potential was always there for a great game, something was always missing.

And the zoning was completely immersion breaking.

Well, I'm going to SoE Live. I'll probably miss one or two of the EQNext panels, but I'll try to make most of them and give you guys my impression from being there. I doubt there is going to be anything close to a playable demo, so I likely won't be able to comment on that.

Well, I'm going to SoE Live. I'll probably miss one or two of the EQNext panels, but I'll try to make most of them and give you guys my impression from being there. I doubt there is going to be anything close to a playable demo, so I likely won't be able to comment on that.

Awesome! I look forward to seeing what you think. I am gonna try to watch the live stream... at work...

I bought EQ2 when it came out and the real flaw of the game was that it was very much modeled after EQ1 in terms of needing a group to do anything worth doing. The problem with that was that times had changed. Whereas the early EQ1 players were really the geeks of gaming, folks who were interested in collaboration and sharing the success of overcoming the environment, the EQ2 players were from the "console kid generation" which I summarize as raging individuals with ADHD who had no interest in group activities, they just want to show off their epeen.

EQ2 failed because it wasn't soloable till much later and because the gfx requirements were just too high at the time. In comparison WoW's gfx requirements were such that it would run on a Ti-89 calculator and grouping was not required. In addition the Warcraft IP also had far more followers than EQ which was essentially new.

I am looking forward to EQnext, I'll definitely buy it, and I really hope that it will be worth playing. I also hope that I can use my 12k station cash I still have piled up from when there was a triple point event and I had coupons.

EQNext I am looking forward too. I still play eq and eq2; WOW is a joke to me it's a simplistic trash game my opinion. Guess if I was 8 years old it might be ok I dunno.

I bought EQ2 when it came out and the real flaw of the game was that it was very much modeled after EQ1 in terms of needing a group to do anything worth doing. The problem with that was that times had changed. Whereas the early EQ1 players were really the geeks of gaming, folks who were interested in collaboration and sharing the success of overcoming the environment, the EQ2 players were from the "console kid generation" which I summarize as raging individuals with ADHD who had no interest in group activities, they just want to show off their epeen.

EQ2 failed because it wasn't soloable till much later and because the gfx requirements were just too high at the time. In comparison WoW's gfx requirements were such that it would run on a Ti-89 calculator and grouping was not required. In addition the Warcraft IP also had far more followers than EQ which was essentially new.

I am looking forward to EQnext, I'll definitely buy it, and I really hope that it will be worth playing. I also hope that I can use my 12k station cash I still have piled up from when there was a triple point event and I had coupons.

I think there is a huge market for hard non solo content in MMO's. Apparently I'm not the only one, because everything I've heard is Wildstar is going back to big raids and stuff. Most people that still play EQ2 and other MMO's that are very similar would tell you that most of the playerbase has bleed off as they've made the game more solo centric.

I'm also pretty sure the Everquest franchise has realized that raiding is really important and has a huge trickle down effect on why people keep playing.

I think there is a huge market for hard non solo content in MMO's.

Brad McQuaid tried that with Vanguard and it fizzled. Granted that was in 2007 or so. Maybe the time is right for a more group-centric MMO.

Having said that; while the best times of my gaming life were in EQ1 I don't see myself being able to play a game that's focused on groups. I have to be able to quickly and frequently afk, I don't want to commit to raiding on a schedule 4+ nights a week, all the things that made EQ1 great I won't have time for anymore.

I hope that someone, be it EQnext or someone else, will be able to figure out a happy medium. For now that's World of Tanks for me where I only have to commit to at the very most 15 minutes at a time. ;)

Vanguard failed because it was a grind and had 0 end game content, not because they tried to be hardcore.

Also grind heavy korean mmo != what I was talking about. I just mean group/raid focus. Personally I think the leveling is most games is bogus, a waste of time, and makes most content go completely to waste. I think a game without levels and just item progression and flagging is the better way to go.

Defiance sounds like something you'd like if you like shooters. It's the ultimate casual mmo imo.

I really believe vanguard failed due to how buggy it was, was worse then eq when it first released.

EQNext I am looking forward too. I still play eq and eq2; WOW is a joke to me it's a simplistic trash game my opinion. Guess if I was 8 years old it might be ok I dunno.

The funny thing is that eq2 is more simplistic than wow. It's the age old myth that soe clings to that if it takes longer it's more difficult. AA's where cool when they where optional now they are required because devs design the content around the assumption that you would have so many, just like they did in EQ. It's just extra grind, not difficulty.

You might as well make the claim that waiting for paint to dry is more difficult than painting because that's been the mentality at soe for over a decade.

I really believe vanguard failed due to how buggy it was, was worse then eq when it first released.

Nah, if that where the case all the advertising and promotions they ran after would have helped the population . I tried to stick with it and have gone back many times and tried but the game just plain sucks, worst revolving for in the history of mmo gaming. The problem was never getting people the problem was keeping them. Can't count how many times I watched the vanguard population rise for one reason or another just to watch it deep again weeks later.

Nah, if that where the case all the advertising and promotions they ran after would have helped the population . I tried to stick with it and have gone back many times and tried but the game just plain sucks, worst revolving for in the history of mmo gaming. The problem was never getting people the problem was keeping them. Can't count how many times I watched the vanguard population rise for one reason or another just to watch it deep again weeks later.

Were you there month one? Our guild was there, waiting forcontent to show up but decided not to wait because it was damn near impossible to do anything.

Were you there month one? Our guild was there, waiting forcontent to show up but decided not to wait because it was damn near impossible to do anything.

I was there day one. Vanguard was the last game i ever bought on launch day.

I think Brad McQuaid said himself that when Vanguard launched. 90% of the accounts never had a character past lvl 1. Granted I made up the 90% figure because I don't remember exactly the number and he deleted his blog which contained the information, but if you think about it. What would cause that?

Technical issues. The game wouldn't even load, or couldn't log in properly.

There are 3 things they need to do to be successful:

1.) No instancing (Or very, very little)

2.) Fluid, accurate, weighted combat that feels visceral. No flighty nonsense. When you kick, bash, or attack, it should reflect the type of attack it was. I thought the original EQ graphics where an attack with an off-hand was accurately represented was very cool.

3.) Graphics that lean toward realistic, but have personality. Please no WoW clone, toy looking graphics. Realistically sized shoulder pads please.

All that being said - I'm not confident they can pull this off. The MMO industry has been ruined by CFOs and care bear players that want instant gratification.

I think Brad McQuaid said himself that when Vanguard launched. 90% of the accounts never had a character past lvl 1. Granted I made up the 90% figure because I don't remember exactly the number and he deleted his blog which contained the information, but if you think about it. What would cause that?

Technical issues. The game wouldn't even load, or couldn't log in properly.

That's not even possible. The servers where literally packed to the brim with people playing (well trying) there's no way that was just 10%. Keep in mind McQuaid is a total fuck head.

That's not even possible. The servers where literally packed to the brim with people playing (well trying) there's no way that was just 10%. Keep in mind McQuaid is a total fuck head.
The numbers may be slightly skewed but I think it's close to accurate. A lot of people use all their character slots to make characters but never play them. After people found out how bad VG performed they stopped playing it, leaving many level 1 chars.

BTW, Brad is the man.

There are 3 things they need to do to be successful:

1.) No instancing (Or very, very little)

2.) Fluid, accurate, weighted combat that feels visceral. No flighty nonsense. When you kick, bash, or attack, it should reflect the type of attack it was. I thought the original EQ graphics where an attack with an off-hand was accurately represented was very cool.

3.) Graphics that lean toward realistic, but have personality. Please no WoW clone, toy looking graphics. Realistically sized shoulder pads please.

All that being said - I'm not confident they can pull this off. The MMO industry has been ruined by CFOs and care bear players that want instant gratification.
Are you always the brightest person in the room? You sure know your stuff.
Personally I think the leveling is most games is bogus, a waste of time, and makes most content go completely to waste. I think a game without levels and just item progression and flagging is the better way to go.
I've never thought about no levels, just gear. But then you're going to create an environment where you are constantly changing gear (likely on a daily basis) which to me takes away from the game. I always liked finally getting that one big item and using it for many levels. Your suggestion would take that away from me.

Last edited:
I don't agree at all with that list. I think you need to positively have tons of content, great crafting system and different server rules beyond just RP/PvP/everything else. I think the crafting brings in these people that like to coordinate and make stuff, and they typically make decent guilds and community. I am not a crafter btw...

The numbers may be slightly skewed but I think it's close to accurate. A lot of people use all their character slots to make characters but never play them. After people found out how bad VG performed they stopped playing it, leaving many level 1 chars.

He said
90% of the accounts never had a character past lvl 1

Accounts being the key word.

BTW, Brad is the man.

No, he is a piece of shit that got lucky with EQ and has been riding that fame and destroying every project he has touched since then.

Do you even recall the shit he pulled with sigil?

McQuaid turned into a fuckhead because of MS dictating his team for him.

He was a fuckhead before during and after all that. There is a reason microsoft went from barely involved to pulling out... Mcquaid was fucking them over.

http://www.f13.net/?itemid=561

Its funny how this always happens...

McQuaid took microsoft for a ride and they got sick of seeing nothing being done for all the money invested and pulled out then everyone goes and blames microsoft...

ex sigil dev said:
What people don't understand, is the game that went out the door was literally created in the last 15 months. Design worked 12-18 hour days for 9+ months. Coding and Art worked insane hours as well, all trying to actually get something playable out the door.

Its Mcquaid that ruined VG. Ripped off MS and took them for a ride then hurried up and rushed it out once SOE stepped in.

McQuaid said:
They wanted detailed schedules going out for months that were fairly inflexible.

Completely commonplace request and the only reason you wouldnt comply is if you already know you cant keep it.

Read the WHOLE thing.

http://f13.net/?itemid=562

It all comes down to McQuaid being a fucking idiot and letting shit run wild at Sigil.

Do you even recall the shit he pulled with sigil?
I followed VG quiet closely from it's conception, so yes I know everything that happened. I agree that he made a big mistake with how he managed Sigil and the transition. There were rumors of a drug problems as well.

I've decided not to condemn him for life because I think he is very talented and everyone deserves a second chance. He has taken non-management development roles (how humbling) to rebuild his career. He's also very oldschool in regards to his design philosophy's, which I appreciate, because very few modern games are as challenging or complex as older games.

Just give me the economy back. Give me EC, Give me Player services(ports, SOW, Mana buffs, HP Buffs).

Also player interaction, grouping was such a important part, even from lower levels. CAMP CHECK!

Just give me the economy back. Give me EC, Give me Player services(ports, SOW, Mana buffs, HP Buffs).

Also player interaction, grouping was such a important part, even from lower levels. CAMP CHECK!

This but with the PvP with meaningful penalties (Rallos Zek, I'm looking at you) :)

I followed VG quiet closely from it's conception, so yes I know everything that happened. I agree that he made a big mistake with how he managed Sigil and the transition. There were rumors of a drug problems as well.

I've decided not to condemn him for life because I think he is very talented and everyone deserves a second chance. He has taken non-management development roles (how humbling) to rebuild his career. He's also very oldschool in regards to his design philosophy's, which I appreciate, because very few modern games are as challenging or complex as older games.

Well i am condemning him for life for the shit he pulled. having his crew fired in the fucking parking lot and the coward didnt even have the balls to show up...

I mean really the guy has done 2 real things in his whole career. Everquest and Vanguard. Both where pretty buggy and shitty at launch the difference being EQ had no real competition and Vanguard did.

McQuaid like so many others makes the mistake of confusing old nostalgia for EQ with reality. Early EQ at the time was amazing because it was just about the only game in town. Compared to what we have now though its pretty much garbage. The sooner folks quit hanging on to the old nostalgia and actually try and make something new instead of reinventing the old the better off the genre will be.

Trying to mix old school EQ and WoW is why even after the bugs are mostly fixed vanguard is still a pretty shitty game. Had the game launched completely error free it still would have bombed.

Back