Epyc Rome 64c/128t ES CPUs (repairable?)

SamuelL421

Gawd
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's... interesting. If the pads are not completely ripped off I have the tools to fix these most likely... but the cheapest motherboard I can find is $371. I'm guessing these were thrown into a coat pocket and smuggled out of somewhere in a hurry... Usually when I see SMD components ripped off the bottom of a CPU it is because they were rattling around together loose and bumped into one another.

I ordered some crazy LGA 1155 CPU deal from AliExpress once and received 10 LGA 771 Xeons instead with fake IHS markings rattling around in a paper envelope. There was a pile of busted off caps at the bottom of the envelope.

Recently I ordered some E5-2670s from eBay... thought I got a killer deal on them at $60/ea. Upon arrival they were in a padded envelope scraping against each other the whole way over. Again, a pile of broken caps at the bottom of the package. :(

Recently I ordered some E5-2670s from eBay... thought I got a killer deal on them at $60/ea. Upon arrival they were in a padded envelope scraping against each other the whole way over. Again, a pile of broken caps at the bottom of the package. :(

Ugh, I hear that, at least with these Epyc chips you know what to expect in terms of damage.

I had a similar experience a few years ago with “great deal” on an X5690. Or it was a good deal until the seller shipped the CPU loose in a lightly padded envelope. Thankfully they were nice regarding the return. Problem is there are a lot of non-technical people selling components on eBay - just no idea about correct packaging, using ESD bags, etc...

Problem is there are a lot of non-technical people selling components on eBay - just no idea about correct packaging, using ESD bags, etc...

I had a component supplier ship me some large power resistors in a USPS legal envelope to try and be cheap. The letter arrived shredded with scorch marks where the letter sorting machines got stuck on the resistors and cracked them as well.

Filed a return with the seller which they claimed "never had that problem before" uh huh, yeah sure. I got them to send the replacements in a bubble mailer, which they should have done in the first place. Those arrived unscathed.

Back