EPYC building for business purposes.

Grimlaking

2[H]4U
So I am trying to find a sales/contact within AMD. I want to do a POC with a dual EPYC based system for 64 cores and 128 threads for a task specific build, then once that testing is done use the same for testing as a VM host.

In doing my research on Dell's site the price per server would be 8 grand cheaper to go with a EPYC solution, but price isn't our only concern.

My company right now is died in the wool Intel, but if these EPYC CPU's are up to par and CRAZY stable for long periods of time then we might be able to see a shift in our actual data centers. Especially if it saves on cost/power/manpower to maintain.

Would love to talk with someone from AMD about this.

And would love to hear any success or failure stories from anyone else that has done a EPYC based server POC. (Proof of concept.)

Thanks!

Send a PM to Kyle I am sure he knows someone at AMD that can help you.

At work we put our first Epyc servers into production in August. Single socket, 64 threads, Tyan Transport SX, U.2 NVMe SSDs. Loads are mixed, KVM VMs and containers. Running nicely so far, no issues at all.

Nice to hear that zrav. How many hosts in your cluster? Makes for nice 1u host nodes though.

Oh, we're no datacenter, just a medium company with a handful of racks, so density and power is not a primary concern. So far it's only two of these 2U servers, but likely to get more as we replace old hardware.

Back