EPS Connector to PCI e 6+2 pin

regk

Limp Gawd
Hi There,

Im wondering on an 850 watt PSU (Corsair) if it would be acceptable / possible to use an EPS to pcie adapter on this line. my own rule of thumb is that if the psu does not have the necessary connectors, then adapters probably are not a good idea. Im currently running 2 290's overclocked and would like to add a 3rd to this PSU if possible, as this is a mining rig with a 750 watt corsair powering the risers, motherboard/CPU and a few fans.I seem to be finding mixed reviews, but it does look like the EPS line has enough grunt to be sufficient. Thoughts?

I do feel that these are safer than using the 2 molex to 1 pcie 8 pin? i have a friend who is using one to power a 570 however the cable is noticeably warm, which does not sit well with me, in addition he has both molexes plugged into the same chain, 'm thinking he would want to be connected to 2 separate chains?

I do feel that these are safer than using the 2 molex to 1 pcie 8 pin? i have a friend who is using one to power a 570 however the cable is noticeably warm, which does not sit well with me, in addition he has both molexes plugged into the same chain, 'm thinking he would want to be connected to 2 separate chains?

yes, molex to pcie 8 pin is less than ideal. And you are right, ideally if he does have to use it, it should come from two separate strings. 8 pin EPS connectors are rated higher than 8 pin pcie I believe (since 8 pin pcie is just a 6 pin with 2 extra grounds, so 3 12v and 5 grounds, while eps is 4 12v and 4 ground) and would certainly be safer.

If a cable is getting noticeably warm as you say, I would discontinue use.

Im going to give him a friendly heads up about this asap. and will probably be ordering the EPS/PCIe connector, unless i can find a great deal on a server PSU kit.

Thanks again for your input!

RK

on a side note, would it be acceptable to use an EPS to 2 6+2 pin pcie adapter as long as i am staying within the power/amperage limit? i believe the EPS line should be able to sold that power level?

on a side note, would it be acceptable to use an EPS to 2 6+2 pin pcie adapter as long as i am staying within the power/amperage limit? i believe the EPS line should be able to sold that power level?

As long as the adapter is of good quality, I'd trust it.

I'd think the adapter is fine but I'm questioning 3 x OCd 290s on 850w, might work...

Back