Epox - have they improved, or are they still crap?

ashmedai

[H]F Junkie
I've been hearing good things about Epox recently, starting to think they're a good low-cost motherboard choice. Anyone have any input to either direction? They used to suck, do they still or have they gotten their act together?

ashmedai said:
I've been hearing good things about Epox recently, starting to think they're a good low-cost motherboard choice. Anyone have any input to either direction? They used to suck, do they still or have they gotten their act together?

Every company has had their bad boards (Abit, Asus, DFI++), basing an entire company on one bad product is a sure-fire way to miss a lot of great boards. I, for one, have had many MANY good experiences with their 8RDA, and I continue to sing praises of the stability of their latest 939 products.

In short order, EpoX was never crap... I'm sick and tired of people basing their decision on one board.

ScHpAnKy said:
Every company has had their bad boards (Abit, Asus, DFI++), basing an entire company on one bad product is a sure-fire way to miss a lot of great boards. I, for one, have had many MANY good experiences with their 8RDA, and I continue to sing praises of the stability of their latest 939 products.

In short order, EpoX was never crap... I'm sick and tired of people basing their decision on one board.
QFT The 8RDA was a great board with shit caps, back in the day, it was the board to ge tfor overclocking. Just because theyve lost that to a certain extent to DFI, doesnt mean the boards are crap, I havent had one issue with my 9NDA3+ that wasnt an error on my part. Their documentation could still do with a bit of work, and they really need to work out their arrangement, Powerconnector to rear of socket = not good. But other than that EPoX boardss are sweet as anything if youre on a budget.

Herulach said:
QFT The 8RDA was a great board with shit caps, back in the day, it was the board to ge tfor overclocking. Just because theyve lost that to a certain extent to DFI, doesnt mean the boards are crap, I havent had one issue with my 9NDA3+ that wasnt an error on my part. Their documentation could still do with a bit of work, and they really need to work out their arrangement, Powerconnector to rear of socket = not good. But other than that EPoX boardss are sweet as anything if youre on a budget.

Agreed. I'm still going strong with my 8KHA+ which is something like 4 years old. Haven't had any problems aside from overheating, but that was because of dust and proc heat. :D

I purchased an 8RDA+ for myself two years ago with a 2500 barton. I have it mildly overclocked and its running right now. I ended up purchasing three more... family, girlfriend, brother.

I've never had a single problem with Epox... the only motherboard manufacturer I'll NEVER buy anything from EVER again is...

MSI!!!

Both boards I had from them were shit. One had the famous USB port that shit out at random intervals that you had to restart the computer to get functioning again and, sadly, I can't remember which model it was.

If it means anything, when I'm in the market for a mobo, I check Epox's offerings first.

I still replace alot of EpoX boards due to crappy caps and general failures. I'd stick with a more established brand/model than EpoX personally. Granted not necessarily the newest boards, still I don't have complete trust in them.

Its hard for a company to shake a bad rep.

ashmedai said:

When did they used to suck? Epox boards have been kicking bang-for-buck ass since the intro. of socket A.

I had bad caps on the following Epox boards: 8K7A, 8KHA, 8KHA+, 8RDA+, 8RDA3G...

I, for one, will never purchase Epox again. Sure, they'll repair the motherboard with bad caps after warranty for a fee - but the hassle isn't worth it, IMHO.

calanthe said:
I had bad caps on the following Epox boards: 8K7A, 8KHA, 8KHA+, 8RDA+, 8RDA3G...

I, for one, will never purchase Epox again. Sure, they'll repair the motherboard with bad caps after warranty for a fee - but the hassle isn't worth it, IMHO.

Unfortunatley I too have seen this all too often. Fortunately they weren't MY boards. Just roomates machines and those of customers. That alone is enough to scare me.

I have to say that my 8KDA3J has been running great for almost a year now :)
anyone know if it supports mobile 64's ?

calanthe said:

You had bad caps on ALL THOSE boards, yet you seem to have bought them all in progression as they were released?

8K7A, 8KHA, 8KHA+ were out around the same general time. I had an 8K7A and 8KHA+ in two of my boxes, and built a few PC's for others with the 8KHA.

The caps first went bad in the 8K7A. Epox repaired it and it's actually still running in my linux box. The 8KHA+ happened a few months later, and I didn't feel like dealing with it, so I waited for the 8RDA+ and bought that. I liked the features of the Epox boards...

Had the 8RDA+ for about 8 months before those caps went bad. I sent it back and got an 8RDA3G to replace it while I waited for it to return. When it came back, a client bought it - knowing where it was and what could possibly happen again.

When my 8RDA3G caps went south, I gave up on Epox.

And as far as the 8KHA's - I've had two clients come back to me just within the past 6 months complaining of system instability. Keep in mind that I built systems with this board in 2001. Anyway - it's bad caps... They did last longer than the other boards, I'll give them that.

Everyone got stung with the cap issue...some worse than others.

I wouldn't blame it on the mainboard manufacturers though, it was clearly a capacitor manufacturers problem.

The whole issue seems to have gone away with the newer motherboards.

The only newer boards I've heard about with problems were some Dell machines, from late 2003, GX270's & SC400's & Some Intel boards...again it was an issue with the capacitor manufacturer and not the mainboard maker.

MD

user0ne said:
I have to say that my 8KDA3J has been running great for almost a year now :)
anyone know if it supports mobile 64's ?

I've used two of these boards and they've both been great for me. 2800+ to 2.35Ghz and a 3000+ to 2.5Ghz with Newcastle cores. I've heard that there is not support for mobile 64's which is why people in this price range usually get the Chaintech board, but maybe there is a beta or 3rd party bios out there somewhere for mobiles ;).

MD_Willington said:
Everyone got stung with the cap issue...some worse than others.

I wouldn't blame it on the mainboard manufacturers though, it was clearly a capacitor manufacturers problem.

The whole issue seems to have gone away with the newer motherboards.

The only newer boards I've heard about with problems were some Dell machines, from late 2003, GX270's & SC400's & Some Intel boards...again it was an issue with the capacitor manufacturer and not the mainboard maker.

MD

exactly, that cap issue took the world by storm a few years ago and it was nothing the mobo makers could do to avoid it. It was an issue of "counterfeit" materials used to make the caps that got passed on to cap makers. That was such a mess...

But anyway, I have had nothing but good experiences with their boards. I recently upgraded a friend's box with a 5PDAJ and I was very impressed with it. The overclocking potential in particular was stunning.

I've heard that Epox is based in mainland China as opposed to Taiwan like most other board manufacturers. Is this true?

Back