Epox 5PDAJ & 540J Pure Energy!

WeldZilla

Limp Gawd
Intel has been grinding out so many processors and chipsets it's rediculous. The good news for us is that many of these are just gonna be going for give away prices by next year. I just built a new system in the last week. I have read and looked everything over. I decided to just save my money Cuz I realized that a good 865 Springdale chipset running a socket-T processor even a 5xx series would be virtually as fast as a 6xx processor on a 955 board. The difference being I could not run a 7800GTX. Oh well, I figure to save my money til next year anyway. So I bought an Epox 5PDAJ Board for $75 and a 540J (3.2ghz) processor for $160.50 delivered. To cool it I used my same old cooling system I just got a Swiftech 6002-775 block. I stuck with my G.Skill PC4400 LE mem. I also picked up a 200gig Maxtor sata HDD. I got to tell you This Combination is LETHAL !!
When I fired it up and loaded windows. I noticed it was just very smooth at stock speed and this Prehott was running Extremely cool . My room temp was 19C and my CPU Temp was 20C at idle. So I began clocking it up I just went into the bios and my first setting was FSB 255 mem 1:1 set to MAX with my timings set to 2.5-3-3-5. I booted easily.
I did not even test it there I just rebooted and set the fsb to 260 and started it again.
It fired right up and was running at 22C @ idle.
Again I did not test it. I restarted, went into bios and set the fsb at 270. the mem was still on the 1:1 and the timings were now set to 2.5-3-3-7. It fired right up no probs!!
My cpu voltage was set at 1.45 V and my mem Voltage at 2.9
Well I thought about benching it there but turned it up some more instead. I turned it up to 273 fsb which is really 273.84 and it was now running at 4383 mhz!! Idle temp was at 24C!!. Now I decided to do a little benching and fooling around with it! The first thing I ran was the PCMark02 cuz I could keep my temp montor on the screen and watch it constantly throughout the test. My temp never exceeded 31C!! here is a screenie of that first test.
yyy.jpg

Well I knew people would think I was a bullshi**er if I did not prove it even with benchmarks and their links so my next move was to get verification!
blowme.jpg

you will notice I was running mem at 3-3-3-7. When I compared with Sandra
3-3-3-7 out scored 2.5-3-3-7 by 18 points. So I ran with it!
Next I ran PCMark04 I knew my new system could not compete strong in 3Dmarks against a 7800GTX but, PCmark does not get a lot of help from the Vid card.
pcmarko4.jpg

That is good enough for number 83 in the world when compared to ALL system with a speed of 2000mhz to 10,000 mhz (Wanted to get everybody)
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm04=3066943
Then it was 3D03
3d03.jpg

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4237238
Then 3D05
3d05.jpg

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1212343
My highest run so far.
4401mhz.jpg

Like I said at the start I spent $235.50 on a new board and processor that are pretty capable of hanging with all but the most extreme fast dual processor systems

Next year I'll build another new one ,I just hope by then there is something good enough to justify buying "NEW"

WZ

The 865 and 875 were always good overclockers, the ASUS P4C line and the ABIT IS7 line were the top in their day. The reason yours overclocks so good is because those chipsets are so mature by now and that chip you have just happens to be an insane overclocker, its more on the CPU's side than the boards. I bet you can get that chip to that speed on any LGA775 board.

Just had to try and get a little more out my rig tonight as it is about 9 or 10C out. that is around 50F. Well with my fan set right at the door pulling in that cold air and ramming it through my Radiator I was able to turn it some more!

ghghghg.jpg

I just can't wait for winter!!!

WZ

Danggg ! I put together a P4 541 system last week, but it's running stock speeds & I had not messed with OC'ing on it yet... but I think I better :cool:

It has been slacking long enough!! Time to start easing up the fsb and see where it will take you. There is a lot of computing potential in the processors. you just got to go start it up!

WZ

Heh -- already pushed FSB 10%, but realized I had put value memory in it (doh !) so I'll probably have to move memory sticks around to get my good memory in this machine before I push it harder :D

Back