Episode 3 coming or not?

TekRok

2[H]4U
Is it even going to be made at all? IThere is L4D and 2nd version but where the hell is the 3rd episode, its been years and they cant release it but they can release L4D2 in matter of months? thoughts?

I found the episodes to be more fun and more interesting than the actual game. I just dont understand why they cant release it seeing how its not TOO big of a task since it isnt a full game.

This is by far and away one of my favorite comics of all time:

concerned000.jpg

Sums up Valve's concept of "soon" pretty nicely. :p

http://www.hlcomic.com

There is a little interview floating around somewhere (I'll look for it later) where Newell hints that they're adding updates to Source for Ep3 and that is causing it to take a while.

VALVe isn't talking about Ep3 publicly right now (Gabe got told that in an interview by their Marketing guy). Though one would assume that they are still working on it.

other than a couple levels, the game was completely forgettable for me. Same with episodes 1 and 2 (I haven't even finished 2).

I'll quote myself from the other thread on this topic:

Frraksurred said:
Ok, here are a couple quotes with links:

Doug Lombardi on Episode 3:
Yeah, the next time you play as Gordon will be longer than the distance between HL2 to Ep1, and Ep1 to Ep2.

Gabe Newell on Episode 3:
1UP: How is Episode Three's development going?

GN: I'm not supposed to talk about Episode Three, according to Doug. It's going well. I mean, it's going to be the best of the three, by far. It's going to be the most innovative in terms of gameplay. [Motioning to Lombardi] He's going to get me if I say anything more.

DL: [Laughs] I'm going to still get you for all things you've already said.

1UP: This is good! [Laughs] This is why I love doing interviews with you guys. Will we see an Episode Three trailer by the end of the year?

GN: No. Valve's focus this year is Left 4 Dead.

Gabe Newell
on HL3:
Kikizo: After Episode 3 comes out, do you see life for Half-Life beyond this current iteration?

Gabe: Yeah. Sure. I think there are a lot of thing that we want to do with the story, characters and so on, that we haven't done yet.

So, no definiatives but I think we can be hopeful for 2010. :cool:

It'l show up and most likely be a lot of fun.

It does seem to take a rather long time with each episode, but each one adds quite a bit of the way they are telling the story, and the engine gets a few updates. If they keep that track record and keep the quality going up and the engine I can wait.

Hopefully they have HL3 in the works like Hl2 was secretly so we can enjoy that... (fingers crossed) before we die :D

1, June 1, 2006
2, October 10, 2007
3, Unknown Unknown, ~2010

When I think of the word episodic, I think Valve

Is it even going to be made at all? IThere is L4D and 2nd version but where the hell is the 3rd episode, its been years and they cant release it but they can release L4D2 in matter of months? thoughts?

We are talking about an HL2 episode and since Valve is milking HL2 to death, yes, you will eventually see it released. But this is Valve we are talking about here, so I would bet on end of 2010 or beginning of 2011.

There is a little interview floating around somewhere (I'll look for it later) where Newell hints that they're adding updates to Source for Ep3 and that is causing it to take a while.

LOL the same old excuse again...

They almost had it ready then someone suggested a cameo by "the Duke" and it set them back a bit.

We are talking about an HL2 episode and since Valve is milking HL2 to death, yes, you will eventually see it released.

They can milk it all they want imo, I've enjoyed every game / episode in the saga that they've released. As long as they continue to turn out quality games that don't punish PC owners, I'll wait for them.

My son just turned 9 weeks old. More than likely he will enjoy the game when he is in his teens.

Seriously though, if the Half-Life series wasn't so dam good more than likely Valve would be holding hands with 3DRealms on the unemployment line.

It should not take YEARS to come out with an "episode."

They can milk it all they want imo, I've enjoyed every game / episode in the saga that they've released. As long as they continue to turn out quality games that don't punish PC owners, I'll wait for them.

You mean how they scrapped the Black Box, forcing everyone to buy games they already owned ? I would say that's punishing PC Gamers...

Also, to wait years for a 3-4 hours expansion, that costs half what a full game costs is really not good for anyone, PC gamers or not.

It should not take YEARS to come out with an "episode."

Of course not. It's Valve's definition of Episodic content that's retarded. And they seem to resort to the old excuse of "oh we're adding new stuff to the source engine" to which the answer is pretty obvious: "Hey morons, 'episodic content' means more content in less time. We don't need upgrades to the already aging source engine.".

One of my friends read somewhere that Valve took a vote on what game to work on next and it was ruled in favor of L4D2!!!! It's awesome that they give their developers that kind of freedom, but honestly... EPISODE 3!!!

It just angers me that we see a squeal to a game which is definitely lacking content by everyone's standards (I do enjoy the game and play it now and then), when episode 2 ended on such a dramatic note... I need to avenge Eli and kill me some Combine!!!

Six years between Half Life and Half Life 2 and look at the dramatic differences between their engines.

At least six years between Half Life 2 and HL2: Episode 3 and some lighting effects added to the engine.

Granted, the Source engine has aged very well and doesn't look as dated as the original would have in 2004. But still. It better not be 2016 before we get Half Life 3 with a brand new engine.

While I'm impatient and annoyed, I've been really happy with HL2 (won it 3 times...which is a lot for me) and I loved both of the episodes, too.
Sure, I'm grumpy at the moment, but I know I'll be happy with the final product when it finally comes out.

I'm almost positive since they can bathe in the cash they are just working 2-4 hour days 3 days a week driving ferraris and what not.

I mean seriously if I had the money they had I'd do the same thing. And for the record, without Valve and Blizzard (the other "when its done" company) PC gaming wouldn't really amount to shit. Very few other companies even come close to them. I mean really Relic, and Infinity Ward maybe but between Counter-Strike and World of Warcraft they have PC locked down.

I'm almost positive since they can bathe in the cash they are just working 2-4 hour days 3 days a week driving ferraris and what not.

I mean seriously if I had the money they had I'd do the same thing. And for the record, without Valve and Blizzard (the other "when its done" company) PC gaming wouldn't really amount to shit. Very few other companies even come close to them. I mean really Relic, and Infinity Ward maybe but between Counter-Strike and World of Warcraft they have PC locked down.

Yeah, id, Bethesda, Codemasters, Splash Damage, Monolith, Rockstar, 2K, etc, that have been around for a long time, mean absolutely nothing :rolleyes:

But I had to laugh even harder at the "Infinity Ward" mention. What exactly have they done ? They released "ONE" good game (I didn't see such praise for previous CoDs, other than 4) and their among the best ? Seriously ?

I guess I have to start giving some of the companies some slack, when I criticize them for shifting interest to consoles. I mean how could they even care about PC Gamers, if the majority thinks like you do...

I'm sure Gabe is (well, if you replace "driving Ferraris" with "eating fried chicken by the bucketful"), but I doubt that the artists and coders (i.e., the people who actually make the games) are raking in cash at quite the same rate.

At this point, with absolutely no mention of the game at this years E3, I am going to be severely disappointed if Episode 3 host not just turned into the sequel being a full blown HL3. I would think that it would make sense, considering things are bound to shake up due to the Portal addition to the HL universe.

Are we at least going to get that Half Life 1: Source (I think it's called Black Mesa?) this year? I've been hearing about it for years. At least home-brew projects have an excuse to take forever.

Yeah, id, Bethesda, Codemasters, Splash Damage, Monolith, Rockstar, 2K, etc, that have been around for a long time, mean absolutely nothing :rolleyes:

But I had to laugh even harder at the "Infinity Ward" mention. What exactly have they done ? They released "ONE" good game (I didn't see such praise for previous CoDs, other than 4) and their among the best ? Seriously ?

I guess I have to start giving some of the companies some slack, when I criticize them for shifting interest to consoles. I mean how could they even care about PC Gamers, if the majority thinks like you do...

id: They have not released anything relevant to jack and shit in over 10 years.

Bethesda: Are you serious? Console-itis runs f'n rampant.

Splash Damage: What QW: ET? Really?

Monolith: FEAR2? See Bethesda above. FEAR 2 was trash.

Rockstar: Simply stated - no.

2K: Oh yea these guys are winners, they have "published" Sid's games and Bioshock was "multi-platform" I like the Total War series however but Empire TW has a lot to be desired.

And Infinity Ward: Take a look at GameRankings with Infinity Ward as the designers. Then before they were Infinity Ward As 2015

Nevermind the fact that I said they barely come close to Valve and Blizzard. Call of Duty did not suffer the same console-itis as numorous other multiplatform games released.

I simply knew someone was going to bomb me over saying that but the simple fact remains. When Blizzard or Valve release a game it's good, and it will move a shit ton of copies.

HL2 Episode 3 will have high scores across the board
LFD2 will have high scores across the board
Diablo 3 will have high scores across the board
Starcraft 2 will have high scores across the board
Blizzards new MMO will have high scores across the board

Oh and Modern Warfare 2 will have high scores across the board

It's just life, fact or whatever you want to call it. What makes them different is that they can get away with releasing when it's done. Fallout 3 would have been an exception if they had released it later with some updates to the interface, and updated textures, etc. Along with making sure it ran longer than 5 minutes but again like Oblivion they are relying on mods to fix the game the way it should be for PC.

This is all my opinion since there really is not a right or wrong answer but no other publishers/game design companies have the backing and talent to do what those 2 do.

EDIT Codemasters: We will see how OFP2 does, and DiRT while good was simply not an "epic" "AAA" or whatever release and tbh I doubt OFP2 will be any of those either.

This is all my opinion since there really is not a right or wrong answer but no other publishers/game design companies have the backing and talent to do what those 2 do.

First, you stated as fact that Valve and Blizzard are the best. Anyone with some common sense would answer you: No they're not, they're just your favorites.

Now (in what I quoted from your post), it's just your opinion, but in the same sentence you repeat the same fallacy of them being the best. And do you really want to talk about backlog ? Do you really want to compare Valve's backlog to id's, Bethesda's or Monolith's for example ? LOL

id: Responsible for ground breaking games such as Doom and Quake.
Bethesda: The Elder Scroll series alone is enough to include them in any list. And they now have Fallout 3 too
Monolith: I don't think you know who they are and what they did. I'll just give you some examples, since FEAR and FEAR 2 are just the most recent ones: AvP 2, No One lives forever and Blood. All three were a huge success.

No one takes away the success of some of Valve's or Blizzard games away, but to talk down about companies that have given so much (most of them much more than Valve or Blizzard) to PC Gamers, just shows that you don't really know who they are and what you're talking about.

It's been too long between episodes. I've even forgotten some of the story line/events... anyone else? I might have to replay through all of them in order when 3 comes.

Honestly its taking so long because it doesn't matter because everyone will buy it regardless of when its released.

At this point, with absolutely no mention of the game at this years E3, I am going to be severely disappointed if Episode 3 host not just turned into the sequel being a full blown HL3. I would think that it would make sense, considering things are bound to shake up due to the Portal addition to the HL universe.

Episode 3 = Half life 3 :confused:

This and this. Honestly the engine was dated two years ago, it'll be painfull if its released in 2010 with the source engine.

Back