Epic's Tim Sweeney Calls Store Exclusives "Procompetitive"

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Mar 17, 2019.

1. trandoanhung1991

trandoanhung1991 [H]ard|Gawd

So because they have an inferior product they have to resort to collusion to force consumers to use their platform?

Because they sure as hell could've just passed their Fortnite truckloads of cash to the consumer by subsidising the games on their storefront, giving them a lower price, and competing with Steam fairly. Consumers win.

I'd just buy their timed-exclusive games at a later date, when they're on Steam and on sale. And that's not even because I'm angry about their practices. I'm just past that point where I give a fuck about playing games on release day.

Oh and guess what? Even without sales, Steam will always be cheaper, due to their ability to cater regionally. I don't have to spend $60, I get to save around $5-30. And that's with day 1 AAA games. With regular sales on top of that, I save a significant amount. Enough to buy a RTX 2060 every 2 years, compared to buying from Epic Store.

And I don't give a fuck if devs get more money. Prior to Epic Store there were still quality, AAA games being released on Steam just fine.

In fact, I have to thank Epic Store, because now it's easier to see which devs/publishers are just greedy cunts who don't give a fuck about the consumers. Their games won't be bought at full price, for sure. Maybe bargain-bin prices. They deserve it.

Ranulfo and odditory like this.
  2. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

I guess PC gaming isn't so bad now they it lines his pocketbooks. What a tool.

3. tetris42

tetris42 [H]ardness Supreme

Hey, I have an idea I'm sure will satisfy everyone:

-We regulate Epic so that they can't make exclusive deals with developers any more.
    -That also means console manufacturers can't make exclusive deals with developers any more.
    -We break up Valve into smaller companies since they control too much of the market under antitrust law.

There ya go, maximum fair competition. Everybody happy?

GoldenTiger likes this.
  4. Hakaba

Hakaba Gawd

Used epic to play some of the temporary free games, uninstalled it when I was finished.

Seems fantastic.

5. Rizen

Rizen [H]ardForum Junkie

Not true at all.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks#announcements/detail/1791775741704351698

That is a huge deal.

6. Staples

Staples [H]ardness Supreme

The best thing steam does over any competitor Is release number of players for each game. Other then that, they all work fine. I would like the FPS counter but is is so tiny and not customizable that I use RTSS instead. Can’t comment about streaming but windows now has that built in so it doesn’t matter which game client you run.