[Epic store] Free Elite Dangerous & The World Next Door until November 26 8 AM

I like you linked videos =)
Elite Dangerous was one of those really popular games on Steam

I just learned the weekly freebies will continue till end of the year (1 whole extra year than originally planned?). Anyone know if it'll continue next year?

Elite Dangerous looks great. The learning curve seems pretty steep. Does only having the base game feel limiting once you get going?

Elite right now gives the most current expansion to everyone free anyway. So this is a good give away. They have their next expansion coming early next year... guess this is one way to get more people in the door to buy their second expansion.

Its a great game... but its a game with no real aim and no manual. Expect to be watching youtube videos ect. So much fun though, probably the best Space MMO around right now imo, EVE is to EVE, Star Citizen is still a silly scam, Star Trek online is a FTP theme park. One of the few space games where there really are 50 different ways to play it, and exploring a map of the actual milky way is just super fun. (going on month long expeditions is a thing) One of my favorite games right now, Horizons the current expansion added planet landings. The upcoming expansion is the next step letting you walk on them, instead of just tooling around in your SUV.

Elite Dangerous looks great. The learning curve seems pretty steep. Does only having the base game feel limiting once you get going?
Elite is a love hate relationship with me. Its the only game that made me want to go out and get a VR headset. Its simply amazing with that piece of tech.

Otherwise, the game is more or less, Universe Sandbox with some shooty-shooty bang-bang bits. I hate the PvP because as a filthy casual, I don't have the time to grind away endlessly to get the best min-maxed ships. PvE, is weak as shit with the same repetitive missions and simply unrewarding. The game is miles wide in scope, but inches deep in depth.

Grab it because its free, and if you have a HOTAS, its marginally fun, but don't expect much of anything resembling a complete full game.

The way they talked up the expansions, made it sound a bit like a 3D Tradewars 2002, with a bit of minecraft built in. None of that came to fruition. Frankly, if the game had me grind for resources, cash, whatever, to make me scratch out a base in the middle of nowhere, I'd be addicted. As it stands, its a beautiful tech demo with wonderful audio and soundtrack but absolutely nothing to do.

Last edited:
The way they talked up the expansions, made it sound a bit like a 3D Tradewars 2002, with a bit of minecraft built in. None of that came to fruition. Frankly, if the game had me grind for resources, cash, whatever, to make me scratch out a base in the middle of nowhere, I'd be addicted. As it stands, its a beautiful tech demo with wonderful audio and soundtrack but absolutely nothing to do.
Well they did add the fleet carriers which is half of that. You can save up your 5 billion + credits... then jump your mobile base anywhere in the universe 500ly at a time and treat it like your own mobile base. Find a nice empty star system somewhere and call it home.

You can roll play some BSG if you want and jump your carrier a couple thousand light years away from a human base.... run out of fuel then use your stored raptor err I mean DBX to go prospecting for Tylium errr I mean Tritum then go and mine enough to get home. They just need to add some disco themed metal robot race willing to chase you to complete the experience.

Agree with you though... ya game is huge but some more PVE variety would be good. And although there is a lot to see.... it repeats, finding the same alien plant on worlds 400lys apart ect. Its also a case of there is so much stuff so spread apart most players will never see it all. Players still find the odd unique thing here and there.... but lots of it like guardian sites ect are mostly copy and paste. Still pretty cool to go see the latest site.

Bottom line its a role players wet dream... but don't expect to find some 40 hour hand held PvE game.

If anyone does play it... and grinds themselves to the point of at least being able to go exploring a little. Here is a link to some player run mapping.
https://canonn.science/codex/canonn-challenge/

Back