Epic Says Piracy is Killing PC Gaming

HardOCP News

[H] News
While being interviewed for Edge magazine, the CEO of Epic Games said that piracy has changed the industry dramatically by killing off smaller developers and forcing other studios to focus mainly on console development.

“If you walked into [Epic's Offices] six years ago,” said Capps, “Epic was a PC company. We did one PS2 launch title, and everything else was PC. And now, people are saying ‘Why do you hate the PC? You’re a console-only company.’” “And guess what?” he says, “It’s because the money’s on console.”

My ass they just need to look beyond publication on CD. Just slap a reg/use code on the product and attach it to stream. Built in easy to use anti piracy code.

My ass they just need to look beyond publication on CD. Just slap a reg/use code on the product and attach it to stream. Built in easy to use anti piracy code.

that doesn't stop piracy.

10 or so years ago I would pirate a game, but I've grown up, make a lot more money, and I don't mind plunking down first day prices for a new game. Problem is, nobody makes a game worth playing on PC anymore. My money now goes to Steam sales, or releases there since the prices are usually cheaper than me going to the store (store price + tax + gas + my time).

Solution: fix the delivery system, and make something that showcases the PC and what it can do. I built my sig rig to game. Most that's been done on it was allow my friends to oggle over Crysis.

Then when is it going to freaking DIE, they been saying this for what 20+ years now?

They should stop making the same game over and over.
Yes. Same old crap the last 10 years.. maybe better graphics, but gameplay is all the same. Starcraft 2 will be the same old thing with nice graphics.

A few exceptions standout but they are few and far between.

for proof that piracy is killing the PC market look at BF:BC2 and how that game is a miserable failure.

oh wait, you say its not a miserable failure?

Maybe making a GOOD game ensures success?

What a fucking novel idea!!

Now if they only can get a clue....

If piracy was so bad, how come Epic is still around, eh?

EPIC FAILURE... from a different perspective. I mean, the Unreal engine has kept them alive all this time with a few modifications tossed in here and there. I can almost hear Steve Jobs in the background asking "By the way, what have you done that's so great?" :rolleyes:

If by piracy killing PC gaming you mean developers using DRM to count piracy that cripples PC games killing the PC game market.

I agree but not in the way I say. I think the way that developers react to piracy is killing gaming, not the piracy in itself.

10 or so years ago I would pirate a game, but I've grown up, make a lot more money, and I don't mind plunking down first day prices for a new game. Problem is, nobody makes a game worth playing on PC anymore. My money now goes to Steam sales, or releases there since the prices are usually cheaper than me going to the store (store price + tax + gas + my time).

Solution: fix the delivery system, and make something that showcases the PC and what it can do. I built my sig rig to game. Most that's been done on it was allow my friends to oggle over Crysis.

Agreed 100%.

Shitty development and rehashing of the same old titles is whats killing PC gaming.

Steam FTW, and demos FTW.
No more buying shitty games based on your skills in marketing game publishers.

Fuck epic. Regurgitated garbage does not = good sales. Maybe when they go replace some of the morons in charge over there they will figure this out. Start with that fucktard Cliffy B and i will buy UT3 tomorrow.

Steam is doing a lot of things right (incredible sales, always able to re-download, a working DRM solution and a great anti cheating incentive...loosing all your games), but then developers adding 3rd party DRM to games that are already using Steam and then having the game be unplayable because of conflicts.

They need to advertise Steam.

While being interviewed for Edge magazine, the CEO of Epic Games said that piracy has changed the industry dramatically by killing off smaller developers and forcing other studios to focus mainly on console development.

If that is the case then how is Valve still around? for that matter, why are all there games award winning and worth buying.

Oh, wait, I answered my own question.. 'cause there games are WORTH buying :rolleyes:

Nothing is killing PC gaming, it seems to be growing year after year. Biggest internet red herring I've ever heard.

Same, haven't pirated a game in a long time and I don't bother with a game unless its on steam and at least a few of my friends get it. The steam sale was cool because I am willing to pay a 5 buck premium to get a game on steam and a bunch were 2. I'll get 1 or 2 blockbuster games a year and as many indie games ans i can be talked into or get some of my buddies to get. Saying pirates kill sales is what all the big guys say while the little guys laugh and are happy for the attention (pulse the money from paying fans).

Here are stuff that are killing the pc.

First is vid card prices. Consoles cost less than a highend vid card.
Business not spending as much money in testing different hardware.

Just look they keep making games for xbox, that is most likely one of the highest priated consoles.

so epic only makes 2 types of games. Gears of War, and Unreal Tournament. I bought the latest UT on Steam and it was fun. I waited till it was only $5. ;)

That's all it's about, huh? I wonder how many Ferraris and Maseratis Mr. Capps has in his stable.

They are a business just like any other business... they want money. You are a really narrow minded person to think they are publishing games just for you to enjoy.... NO! ... they publish games for you to buy and that way the MAKE MONEY!!!!

My steam collection is worth about $1200 at current selling prices. If you added it up at the prices I originally paid for the games new, you'd almost double that. Considering how successful steam is, I doubt I'm the exception.

My steam collection is worth about $1200 at current selling prices. If you added it up at the prices I originally paid for the games new, you'd almost double that. Considering how successful steam is, I doubt I'm the exception.

Nope you aren't :p... I wish I could help myself some times when deals and pre orders come up on Steam :(

I dont see why its not hard to believe. If PC dev was very profitable for them, they would be concentrating on it. Piracy, is ridiculously rampant on PC. Only people who dont seem to think it is and only blame it on shitty games are pirates trying to make an excuse.

You are a really narrow minded person to think they are publishing games just for you to enjoy....NO! ...they publish games for you to buy and that way the MAKE MONEY!!!!
You're saying this to me as if I don't understand the basics of enterprise? Really?

Better to be narrow-minded than naive, if you ask me.

&%$@ EPIC.

Game designers need to stop crapping in a bucket, and start putting out something decent. Im not paying my hard earned dollars for crap in a bucket, i want quality, A+++ stuff.

I still play UT2004, yet, i bought that crap in a bucket called UT3....

it had 3 patches all of which were many hundreds of megabytes in size. the bigest patch for UT2004 was 24MB, and it was the one and only patch you needed. on day 1 the ping readout was messed up, seriously, how do you mess that up?

Anyway, I was waiting for UT3, and was really going to move on to it, but after playing it, and realizing how it was a console game on PC, i gave up on it.

I hope they go out of business, nuff said, please follow in the suite of acclaim, I will pray that you fail as a company, so another one can come and take your place, and do right.

PC gaming is dying, just ask Valve.

You're saying this to me as if I don't understand the basics of enterprise? Really?

Better to be narrow-minded than naive, if you ask me.

You sound like you don't or have not a clue why a business is in ...business. TO MAKE FUCKING MONEY...

They said in clear, plain English they make more money with console then they do with the PCs (because of pirates)... so they focus on consoles. Not that hard to read... try doing it sometime.

From a business standpoint, Epic does make a valid point. More studios are developing less on the PC platform due to piracy and DRM. :( These are some of the contributing factors that have put off PC dev. In light I may also add that the Studios are more inclined to develop for the consoles because it seems like a safer approach and not gamble on a new IP.

In light of this, I have to agree with others, in that I am older and have more money to spend. If the studios would put on a quality product, I would gladly pay for their product.

You sound like you don't or have not a clue why a business is in ...business. TO MAKE FUCKING MONEY...

They said in clear, plain English they make more money with console then they do with the PCs (because of pirates)... so they focus on consoles. Not that hard to read... try doing it sometime.

A business can't make money unless they sell a product consumers like.

The publisher and developer that focus on both console and PC make more than the ones focusing only on console.

Pirates don't take money from those they are pirating from.

Epic douchebag said:
And now, people are saying ‘Why do you hate the PC? You’re a console-only company.’” “And guess what?” he says, “It’s because the money’s on console.”

...Because console games are never pirated. AMIRITE? :rolleyes:

Here's another one of these idiots talking about $#!t they know nothing about.

You want to know the secret to making money on PC gaming and not being pirated? Very simple. Valve figured this out a looooooooooooooong time ago.

-Make games tied into the best PC gaming service on the planet
-Run a sales promo here or there
-Don't get uppity with DRM
-PROFIT $$$

It's no secret that people pirate the hell out of a PC game. The naysayers to the pirates hurt games sales say "well, they pirate console games as well so it can't be true"...

For every "cheap bastard enthusiast" that is capable of modding his console in conjunction with being able to find a pirate copy of a game, there are probably 500 honest non-enthusiast customers.

On the PC side of the coin... I feel that for every 5 honest customers, there is a dishonest one.

For example.. I told my friends about BC2.. guess what half of them that got the game did.. they pirated it. LOL. WTF?

And just when I thought big publishers buying the small fry developers was killing companies?

Seeing as consoles are dirt cheap compared to gaming spec PC's I'm not surprised they have a bigger audience, piracy isn't the problem, cost of PC gaming and game pricing is...although there is no concrete figures on how much profit is made from online sales via STEAM, Direct2Drive, Game Tap and others I may have missed.

It really is a round robin circle....

Gamers will constantly say make good games, then we'll buy, your lost money is because of shitty product.

Developers will constantly say we would make good games, if it wasn't pirated to hell and back, and we made some good money.

Neither party is going to be happy, and it's never going to end the vicious circle.

Back