Epic Releases Postmortem of Weekend Fortnite Service Outages

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Epic had lots of problems over the past weekend with service outages because their hit game Fortnite once again hit a new peak of 3.4M players. As a result of these issues they decided to step up and tell the community what they think went wrong and what they are going to do to prevent this from happening in the future. Take a look at their postmortem and you'll have to agree that they are being pretty open about all of this and really being transparent with their player community. Way to go Epic. I wish others would follow your lead.

Problems that affect service availability are our primary focus above all else right now. We want you all to know we take these outages very seriously, conducting in-depth post-mortems on each incident to identify the root cause and decide on the best plan of action. The online team has been working diligently over the past month to keep up with the demand created by the rapid week-over-week growth of our user base.

Isn't this the same game that a boy exploited a bug in the game and they wanted to sue him?

I read 2 things in that release:

1. We are making more money than we know what to do with at this point.
2. We are woefully understaffed, and don't have the actual knowledge to manage this comfortably.

Isn't this the same game that a boy exploited a bug in the game and they wanted to sue him?
You mean the 14 year boy that posted cheating Youtube videos (Admits to livestreaming cheating) detailing on how to use said cheats?

Yeah. They did.

It has now come to light that one of the defendants is a 14-year-old who Epic Games sued because the teenager appealed against the developer's DMCA takedown request of a YouTube video revealing how to use cheats. Legally, Epic Games had to either withdraw the DMCA takedown request or file suit against the teen. The developer chose the latter.
Source
I've colored the important bits. When protecting your IP, companies will go to great lengths to make sure they've protected their properties.

You mean the 14 year boy that posted cheating Youtube videos (Admits to livestreaming cheating) detailing on how to use said cheats?

Yeah. They did.

Source
I've colored the important bits. When protecting your IP, companies will go to great lengths to make sure they've protected their properties.

Wasn't the same kid trying to SELL the cheats too?

The post mortem seems to be offline now too...

edit: it's back up

Wasn't the same kid trying to SELL the cheats too?

IIRC he was essentially marketing for those cheats with his Youtube videos. These were cheats, not "bugs" being exploited. When EPIC filed DMCA takedown requests for his videos he appealed them and posted a bunch of juvenile "come at me, EPIC" type stuff online. The main story headline that came out was that EPIC was suing a teenager for hacking, which is all anyone really focused on. Reading further showed that the idiot's mother was also defending all the shit he was doing.

As someone who both likes playing Fortnite and has seen many games ruined by cheaters....go get 'em, EPIC.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Look at the detail in that document. Then look at any response to any issue Epic had with Paragon, and the next to nothing information they'd release about it.

Back