Epic: New Unreal Engine Warrants PS4, Xbox 720

beardawnwood

Limp Gawd
Mark Rein, Vice President at Epic has said that his company’s new DX11 Unreal Engine is a call for hardware developers to come out with next-generation consoles.

Zoom

Word on the street is that we’ll have to wait until 2015 to see the new Xbox 720 -- and the PS4? That’s not exactly set for a holiday release, either. However, it seems Epic is hoping its DirectX11 Unreal Engine demo will make console manufacturers want to pick up the pace.

Speaking to Develop magazine, Rein said that the DX11 demo was a ‘love letter’ to hardware companies informing them that this is a “big leap” that “justifies that new piece of hardware.” What’s more, it’s what they need new consoles to be capable of and Epic is “giving them a roadmap.”

“ [...] That demo we've shown is aimed at the game console makers. We're telling them that this is the big leap that we think justifies that new piece of hardware you're going to build, and we're telling them that this is what we need next-gen consoles to be capable of, because we can't build a more powerful PC than the one that's running the DX11 demo!

"For us, now when we sit down with various companies and talk about the future, the discussion is no longer theoretical. We can show them this. We can say 'here's our demo, try it on your hardware'. And we want feedback - let us know what we can simplify, let us know what we can improve."

While Rein said that the demo is aimed more at console manufacturers, he also told Develop that he thinks even Apple could do it “in a couple of years.” Rein said that considering the iPad 2 packs nine times the power of its predecessor, there was a possibility Apple could release a device that can run Unreal Engine DX11 in just a few year’s time. “Who knows?” he said.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Epic-Game-DX11-Unreal-Engine-Xbox-720-PS4,news-10706.html

Epic start making good advanced games for the PC again and forget about or port to the consoles.

Epic start making good advanced games for the PC again and forget about or port to the consoles.

Yup, but at least they're calling to have the lowest common denominator bar raised sooner rather than later (2015 at least like I've heard.)

I think the joke is on them because there isn't going to be a new Sony/MS home-console on the market for at least two years. It'll only take one or two strong PC titles to make them all panic and come crawling back talking about how they've always been PC developers at heart and love us all, how "online" sort of solved the piracy problem and really there's piracy on the other platforms too now so you know... we're all friends, right?

I think that what basically happened was everything was smooth sailing, everyone was saying how they love the 'longer generation' and how there's no need for a new home-console yet. MS even pushed Kinnect as an extension of the platform. All this may have fooled even the people behind the scenes who need to look four-five years into the future.

Then came the BF3 demonstrations.

Just for the record, I own a PS3 and I've have a huge library for it, but I've become very jaded from this ownership experience. I really hate how of it's all about lock-down and pure one-sidedness both between platform owner and players, and platform owners and developers. It's very likely I have (with AC2:B) bought my last PS3 retail game.

It'd be nice if they could at least release a tech demo or benchmark for us insignificant PC users to play with in the meantime, but I doubt we see much of anything on UE4 until the marketing blitz starts up for the next consoles.

It'd be nice if they could at least release a tech demo or benchmark for us insignificant PC users to play with in the meantime, but I doubt we see much of anything on UE4 until the marketing blitz starts up for the next consoles.

Sad but probably true.

Yup, but at least they're calling to have the lowest common denominator bar raised sooner rather than later (2015 at least like I've heard.)

We can only hope later rather then sooner. The longer it takes for the new consoles to show their ugly heads the higher the chance for some "real" PC game coming our way.

What makes Epic think that the next generation of consoles will be all that big an improvement? All the console makers care about is spending as little as possible to make them,selling them for as much as they possibly can,and pumping out quickly developed,substandard games.

What makes Epic think that the next generation of consoles will be all that big an improvement? All the console makers care about is spending as little as possible to make them,selling them for as much as they possibly can,and pumping out quickly developed,substandard games.

Indeed, for all we know, the successors to the 360 and PS3 could be very small upgrades in horsepower, like from the Gamecube to the Wii.

Is this their way of saying "Hey, guys, make new hardware so we can pimp Gears of War 4 and 5 for it"? If so, mission accomplished...

That's nice. If it's scalable, the games on 5+ year old consoles should be able to use it at reduced quality and higher end PC games use it at full quality.

So..... they made a new powerful engine just to show console makers what to expect.... and they won't use it right now for better PC games?
Nice :rolleyes:

Does it stream maps any better? All these games with tiny maps are getting pretty dated. The load screens are getting harder and harder to hide, too.

So..... they made a new powerful engine just to show console makers what to expect.... and they won't use it right now for better PC games?

The DX11 based renderer is already available in the UDK, so it's also available for any licensees.

PC games don't make enough money, this is capitalism, money talks bullshit walks. PC has been voted out by the market and the dollar. The better business model wins. PC has tried and failed, not enough cash, the free market is always correct.

from getting its start as a PC developer to becoming a console whore of a company

Epic Games

The DX11 based renderer is already available in the UDK, so it's also available for any licensees.
Don't try to confuse anybody with facts. There are many conspiracies and axes to grind. The reality is so boring. :p

Amazing how far Epic has come from starting as PC devs (great memories with Jill of The Jungle and Jazz Jackrabbit) to hating it so strongly, they should just come out at this point and publicy declare how much they hate the PC, even if it looks very unprofessional from a PR stand-point. They probably don't care anymore. Bastards. I really can't think of a dev right now that hates the PC more than Epic. Crytek is trying to catch up though with Crysis 2, ugh.

Great job showing off your latest engine on today's high-end gaming PCs but only catering it towards future consoles. Could you TROLL the PC any harder Epic? Jeebus. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Or they could start making games for pc and see sales RIGHT NOW.

Then when 2015 rolls around put those same games on the consoles and make even more sales.

So that would be the equilivant of a 260 and say a Dualcore CPU? Well glad to see Epic is only about 4 years behind.

That's what's wrong. So many misconceptions. Besides GoW 2* (and the upcoming GoW 3*), Epic has always released PC games. Unreal Engine 3/3.5 has first class PC support. It's not a half-way optimized engine developed for consoles that got sloppily ported to the PC. Even the subject of this thread, Epic's new DX11 engine, was developed on the PC.

Consider the announcement of the DX11 UE as day 1 of availability. AAA titles have long development times. Wait another 1.5-2 years for those games, at least. On the plus side, that could coincide with the launch of the next Xbox. :p

If the complaint is about the style of play or controls, that's another problem. The FPS genre has been explored (exploited?) pretty well by Epic. PC gamers (on this very web board) hated UT3, hated Bulletstorm and no longer purchased classic FPS games. What's left, GoW? Guess what, PC gamers hated it (or more accurately hated paying for it... many times more people played it on the PC than the number who paid for it). :p Epic will probably milk Bulletstorm for a couple of years. Luckily there are other major UE licensees.

Is it unreasonable that Epic has a couple of console exclusive titles when those pay the bills and keep the lights on? Of course not. Especially when there's not enough interest on the PC side to even make the port worth it financially.

The situation is crummy for the small percentage of honest gamers. That's just how things work out.

*poor sales of GoW for PC killed GoW2/3 on the PC.

Then when 2015 rolls around put those same games on the consoles and make even more sales.

Not enough money, and not enough high end PCs that it would be worth making a game that looks better what they can pull on a console.

There is no money in what you are asking them to do, they are a business, capitalism dictates what you want is stupid. It's not even an option.

Amazing how far Epic has come from starting as PC devs (great memories with Jill of The Jungle and Jazz Jackrabbit) to hating it so strongly, they should just come out at this point and publicy declare how much they hate the PC, even if it looks very unprofessional from a PR stand-point. They probably don't care anymore. Bastards. I really can't think of a dev right now that hates the PC more than Epic. Crytek is trying to catch up though with Crysis 2, ugh.
Epic doesn't hate the PC. They just like profit and they've discovered where to get it. And Cliff Bleszinski is an idiot who likes to stir the pot. He discovered that PC gamers are notoriously thin-skinned, and thus he's having his fun (while simultaneously hurting Epic's image).

The fact that this thread even exists shows how far away we are from new consoles. Otherwise, Rein would be negotiating with hardware makers instead of begging them.

PC games don't make enough money, this is capitalism, money talks bullshit walks. PC has been voted out by the market and the dollar. The better business model wins. PC has tried and failed, not enough cash, the free market is always correct.

That's not entirely true. Franchise like Starcraft and Sims are still making tones of money on PC platform, probably more than many console titles out there.

And why do you think games like BF3, Skyrim, DNF and others are coming out of PC platform as well? If PC has been voted out, wouldn't they do the same shit Epic did for Gears of War and just not make any PC version?

The fact remains that if you make a good game, people will buy them even on the PC platform.

^^ ???? Eh, there's no GoW2 though. Got to read between the lines/give benefit of doubt sometimes on a chat board.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Epic doesn't hate the PC. They just like profit and they've discovered where to get it. And Cliff Bleszinski is an idiot who likes to stir the pot. He discovered that PC gamers are notoriously thin-skinned, and thus he's having his fun (while simultaneously hurting Epic's image).

As much as I dislike Epic and Cliffy B I have to disagree. He's not hurting their image to a bunch of snot nosed pc gaming elitest who mostly(or at least alot) will steal whatever game they bring to PC anyway. He laughing at us PC gamers all the way to the bank. I guarantee he's living the life. How many PC gamers are? LOL please hurting their image? ROFL They couldn't care less what we think of them.

^^ ???? Eh, there's no GoW2 though.
Um, yeah. I mentioned that very fact twice before he posted, and the reasoning behind it (GoW PC didn't sell well, so no sequels on the PC).
-----

LOL @ CliffyB hate. That just proves his point.

Could BF3 really have changed their opinon on the PC market? the buzz for BF3 is huge and it will put all consoles to shame when it gets released. People say graphics will be the same across the board but thats a lie.

As much as I dislike Epic and Cliffy B I have to disagree. He's not hurting their image to a bunch of snot nosed pc gaming elitest who mostly(or at least alot) will steal whatever game they bring to PC anyway. He laughing at us PC gamers all the way to the bank. I guarantee he's living the life. How many PC gamers are? LOL please hurting their image? ROFL They couldn't care less what we think of them.
To each their own I suppose. I'll admit I had my doubts about whether or not I would have been interested in Bulletstorm anyway, but his whole joke about how PC gamers would whine with them releasing a console demo but not a PC one rubbed me the wrong way. I know he likes to be in your face and you might find the idea funny, but attacking your customers is generally not a great business practice.

bullshit..

There are tons of game out there that sold millions of copies alone on PC, exclusively, heck even Single player only games too...

Not enough money or just lazy developer? :rolleyes:

Back