Epic gives Unreal Asset Creators a Raise and Backpay

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Epic is giving Unreal asset creators on their Unreal Engine Marketplace a nice raise and backpay effective to the creation of the Marketplace in 2014. Thanks to the success of Fortnite they have decided to only take a 12 percent cut of any assets sold and the remaining 88 percent is going to the developers. It's nice to see the company share the wealth like this and it can only result in more asset developers coming onboard.

“Thanks to both the Marketplace’s growth and the success of Fortnite, Epic now conducts a huge volume of digital commerce,” Sweeney explained. “The resulting economies of scale enable us to pass the savings along to the Unreal Engine Marketplace community, while also making a healthy profit for Epic.”[/I

It's unusual to see a company voluntarily give others more money.

As mentioned, they probably envision even more money in the cards if they can entice more devs...

I didn't even know such a thing existed. I mean the unreal marketplace. But I could've meant an employer voluntarily giving backpay as well :p

This makes me think they are drastically trying to get more interest in their platform from Indy developers and smaller studios. Frostbite is whooping them for a number of the bigger titles right now and they are trying to do something early while they still have time to react.

Pretty sure this is meant to make UE4 more appealing to developers... Than unity.

Problem is, unity ports to Linux way better than UE4 and epic needs to fix they lack of Linux support, in that they promise more and under deliver when it comes to UE4 and Linux.

Whether you like it or not, Linux gamers pay money, and unity releases demonstrate that. If epic wants more to release on UE4, this is a tangible shortcoming UE4 has, despite advertising otherwise.

I need a new Unreal Tournament fix... Need to get my killing skillz back lol

Pretty damned classy move. This is like a proverbial middle finger to companies like EA, and I hope it causes one hell of a ripple in the pond.

Back