Epic Games to Launch an App Store to Compete with Google and Apple

cageymaru

Fully [H]
According to the Wall Street Journal, Epic Games is working on an mobile app store to compete with the Google Play app store for Android users in 2019. As a consequence of competing with Google, Epic Games will also be competing with Apple and its App Store for iOS. The Epic Games app store will take a 12% cut of revenue generated from sales compared to the 30% cut that Google and Apple take. The first phase of the Epic Games store went live for the PC and Mac earlier this month. The U.S. Supreme Court is already looking at the fee structure and the monopoly that Apple has created with its App Store.

Epic says it will start selling games for Android devices sometime next year. It already distributes "Fortnite" this way, bypassing Google's Play store. No such move is possible within Apple's ecosystem, as the company retains tight control over the apps that can be distributed to its devices. But Ben Schachter of Macquarie Capital believes that if Google reduces its own take on apps in response to competition, Apple would be pressured to follow.

I don’t see this gaining any traction on iOS. Do they expect people to jailbreak their phones??

"Compete" by brokering backdoor deals with companies for exclusivity the same way they're doing with the PC store?

I'm so sick of stores, launchers, etc. This whole exclusivity that makes you download their shitty launcher is fucking stupid.

It'd be different if software was available throughout all the launchers/clients; that'd be pro-consumer/competitive, but no.

Sounds good, except it's Epic Games we're taking about. Well go from bad to much worse.

If they can force this on Phones like Apple, and Samsung can they force it on Consoles like Xbox, and Playstation too? One of consoles biggest strengths is it being a unified system so programmers have a easier time programming...Unless Epic makes their own Operating System like Steam did with Steam OS?

They're sure moving fast. They're really trying to keep their revenue going for the inevitable end to the Fortnite fad.

At least they're thinking ahead and putting all that money to use.

and here we are right back in essentially the same situation now only with 30+ years of buying politicians behind it to prevent another breakup of that kind again.
Lol we have at least another 2 years before any corporate entity is touched.

The U.S. Supreme Court will "jailbreak" them for us when they address the Apple monopoly case. :)

What monopoly? Apple is a minority of the smartphone market, which people here normally gleefully point out.

If you want a malware infested cesspool have at it with Android or traditional computers (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.). iOS is a different model. If it doesn't float your boat, there's other mobile platforms out there - knock yourself out. Apple isn't coming to anyone's house, breaking their non-Apple devices and forcing them to buy an iPhone or iPad at gunpoint.

It would be beyond ridiculous if any court interfered with the iOS ecosystem. Never gonna happen despite the ridiculous wishes of people who would still never buy an iPhone anyway :rolleyes:

What monopoly? Apple is a minority of the smartphone market, which people here normally gleefully point out.

If you want a malware infested cesspool have at it with Android or traditional computers (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.). iOS is a different model. If it doesn't float your boat, there's other mobile platforms out there - knock yourself out. Apple isn't coming to anyone's house, breaking their non-Apple devices and forcing them to buy an iPhone or iPad at gunpoint.

It would be beyond ridiculous if any court interfered with the iOS ecosystem. Never gonna happen despite the ridiculous wishes of people who would still never buy an iPhone anyway :rolleyes:
It depends on how you perceive iOS. Is it a closed platform? Yes. Can anyone develop for it? No, they have to get approval first. From what body? Apple alone. Anyone else that they can seek approval from? No, you have to go through Apple.

So it is a monopoly right? Not necessarily as there is Android to compete against. Can Android developers just start developing for iOS? No, they have to get approval first to develop on iOS. Who can they get it from besides Apple? Only Apple can grant the keys to the kingdom.

So Apple has a monopoly over iOS? Well they compete with Android...... Blah, blah, blah.... Rinse and repeat.

:)

Yes this is great. Lets push more unapproved apps on android. Download an app, please input CC number to continue installing app (CC probably won't be transmitted back to us, trust us).

they then let all of AT&T reform larger than before.
Yep! They came back as a jack of all trades though. Not as the owner of all that is the telephone system. Amazon is the same way. As long as they keep their nose into everything they will be fine. As soon as they become the only place to shop, they are screwed!

Tencent, I mean, Epic has been really bold and motivated lately.
That’s what 3 billion in revenue in less than a year will do for you. Fortnite has made Epic more money than they have seen in a while and they are trying to reinvest it in their products instead of pulling a Bluehole and blowing their load on Hookers and Coke.

Crapple can't even police their app's advertisements. I restrict my ipad to 4+ age apps for my son, yet these apps show advertisements of shooting, killing, zombie etc games. I called a couple times to complain about it and the "managers" claim that I need to contact the app maker as they have no control over what advertisement is shown. Talk about a load of bull. I have limited time to pursue this garbage, but no doubt I will follow up. Don't act like apple ecosystem is perfect, far from it.

LOL, I see it now. This should probably read: "Tencent to launch an app store...." But it sounds so much more benign to use a well respected western company's name.

Crapple can't even police their app's advertisements. I restrict my ipad to 4+ age apps for my son, yet these apps show advertisements of shooting, killing, zombie etc games. I called a couple times to complain about it and the "managers" claim that I need to contact the app maker as they have no control over what advertisement is shown. Talk about a load of bull. I have limited time to pursue this garbage, but no doubt I will follow up. Don't act like apple ecosystem is perfect, far from it.

Who ever said anything about it being perfect? But it is an improvement! Give your kid an Android phone if you want to have a real fun time and get some perspective too.

Also run PiHole on you home network and be sure to restrict his device to Wifi only and you can block the ads: https://pi-hole.net/2018/06/09/ftldns-and-unbound-combined-for-your-own-all-around-dns-solution/

You don't have to run it on a raspberry pi; it runs just fine in a VM - HyperV if Windows, Virtualbox on a Mac, etc. Raspberry Pi's are cheap and I like dedicated appliances so I have one off in a corner humming away. Works great.

Who ever said anything about it being perfect? But it is an improvement! Give your kid an Android phone if you want to have a real fun time and get some perspective too.

Also run PiHole on you home network and be sure to restrict his device to Wifi only and you can block the ads: https://pi-hole.net/2018/06/09/ftldns-and-unbound-combined-for-your-own-all-around-dns-solution/

You don't have to run it on a raspberry pi; it runs just fine in a VM - HyperV if Windows, Virtualbox on a Mac, etc. Raspberry Pi's are cheap and I like dedicated appliances so I have one off in a corner humming away. Works great.

I'll check it out, I've briefly looked into similar options, thanks for the recommendation. I have plenty of hardware and an already overly complex network, best to just do the content filtering myself, at least at my kids' young age.

Back