Epic Games store offers GTA V for free, immediately goes down

KarateBob

Gawd
You might think that most people who the seven-year-old Grand Theft Auto 5 already have it, but that's apparently not the case. It went free today on the Epic Games Store—and immediately broke it.

The moment the new freebie went live, the store started throwing up 505 errors, apparently overwhelmed by demand. Epic acknowledged the overload on Twitter, and asked everyone to please be patient while it worked on the problem.
the outage appears to also be affecting Fortnite on mobile devices
https://www.pcgamer.com/grand-theft-auto-5-giveaway-broke-the-epic-games-store/
https://twitter.com/EpicGames/status/1260949362085150722
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidt...ite-launcher-having-trouble-as-gta-5-arrives/

Hopefully they fix it before May 21st when the promo ends

Lots of console users log on just to snag-a-copy-just-in-case-they-go-MasterRace-someday effect is in play here. I tell people just go and claim it even if they're still running a 386sx...cuz you never know. Free is Free. Worth mentioning its the premium edition, which I think gives you like free cars online and some free businesses to get started grinding on.......and some cash. Guess they are trying to keep the player base for the online game, guessing those Shark Cards aren't discounted much :) Spend $50 bucks of real world money to buy two exotic cars in game :p Man GTA6 better be effing good considering the bankroll GTA Online has delivered them.......

Last edited:
I finally logged in, but my store is in Japanese

Haha, I don't use EGS often so I only opened it today to disable friend request notifications...and mine was in some random language even though settings said English.

Thanks for this thread; got GTAV no problem.

Never understood the draw from this game.

I’m about 30 hours in, but I won’t lie, I’m actually a bit disappointed with it. The story isn’t bad and the characters are actually entertaining, I just find the missions to be extremely unimaginative and repetitive. Like there’s one mission where you have to do yoga, I mean really? Who wants to do that crap? It feels like there’s a lot of filler.

Never understood the draw from this game.

Last one I played was Vice City back in college when it came out.

I enjoyed the music I guess. Wasn't terribly impressed with the game, but I generally struggle with enjoying 3rd person titles.

I’m about 30 hours in, but I won’t lie, I’m actually a bit disappointed with it. The story isn’t bad and the characters are actually entertaining, I just find the missions to be extremely unimaginative and repetitive. Like there’s one mission where you have to do yoga, I mean really? Who wants to do that crap? It feels like there’s a lot of filler.

Every GTA game has mini games like that......wouldn't 'just grand theft autoing cars' be more repetitive? Approach the game like you're playing out a movie written by The Onion or National Lampoon or SNL back when it was funny and you'll be in the right mindset to proceed through it, lots of fun to be had here.

Really surprised there are PC gamers without this game in their library already.

I don't even like GTA, and I have like 66 hours clocked just benchmarking, lol.
I've played every title up to San Andreas, but check out news on the new titles now and then: after 3, Vice City, and San Andreas all having felt like the same game, I gave up on the title. The GTA titles are enjoyable for what they are, but there's no denying how repetitive the gameplay play is and how unoriginal the story lines are.

I've played every title up to San Andreas, but check out news on the new titles now and then: after 3, Vice City, and San Andreas all having felt like the same game, I gave up on the title. The GTA titles are enjoyable for what they are, but there's no denying how repetitive the gameplay play is and how unoriginal the story lines are.

Don't forget Bully - the lesser-known GTA3 Expansion Pack.

They rode that engine for SIX YEARS!

Haven't been able to access it all day. Also getting the 403 error message, now.

The service probably crashed due to all the multiplayer cheaters signing up for a bunch of accounts to tie free copies to. It's a good thing I don't have any interest in playing the online portion because I have a feeling that cheating is going to be rampant for the next few months until the cheaters run out of free copies to burn through.

I also agree with the above comment that anyone interested in the game likely has it already.

The launcher isnt perfect I recommend copy and pasting all the games in another directory along with backing up the save files.

Its working fine for me here in LA right now. Literally just snagged a copy ( ill never download it or play it after all these years lol) just so i can get a $10 off coupon to get Control for $19.99. Excited to try it after a few recomended it on here, especially with this RayTracing shit i never use lol.

Haven't been able to access it all day. Also getting the 403 error message, now.

Update: just came up for me and I was able to get it. I did have to do a search for it, since the "free games" section wasn't populating.

Really enjoy GTA Online, just fun to mess around and you often run into good modders that give free money so you don’t have to mission grind

Every GTA game has mini games like that......wouldn't 'just grand theft autoing cars' be more repetitive? Approach the game like you're playing out a movie written by The Onion or National Lampoon or SNL back when it was funny and you'll be in the right mindset to proceed through it, lots of fun to be had here.

I know, but it’s not just the mini games. Even all the missions seem to have a similar structure. Like I compare it with something like Sleeping Dogs, where you still got the open world feel, but the missions just felt more imaginative. Just my opinion.

I've never completed a single mission in any of these games that I can recall. I have, however, driven around trying to cause as much havoc as possible and that's what these games mean to me.

I know, but it’s not just the mini games. Even all the missions seem to have a similar structure. Like I compare it with something like Sleeping Dogs, where you still got the open world feel, but the missions just felt more imaginative. Just my opinion.
I enjoyed V for what it was, as story-driven third-person shooter. Yeah, it had some repition, but you don't bitch about Doom Eternal for too much rippin n' tearing. I thought it was worth a playthrough with a fun-enough story, entertaining-enough missions (a few were tough or annoying, but nothing was impossible) and nice graphics. It's definitely overrated as far as review scores go. It's not a 95/100 game that draws you in and wants you to keep playing it to 100%, then go back and play it again a few times. It's just very good.

It is just a tutorial built into a story for the yoga minigame that improves Michaels special ability (the most useless ability of the trio). You do it once and never do it again if you so choose. Anyway, there is some filler but for the most part I thought there is a quite a lot of variety in the main missions.

I continue to hold strong and have accepted zero of Epic's bribe attempts. My gamestation is EGS free.

Chinese company fearmongering? Or the same kind of person who refused to use Origin? Let me guess... Steam master race? Don't suppose you have the Uplay launcher installed, or maybe the blizzard launcher? Or Arc, or Glyph?

I completely don't understand the rationale behind some people's actions. Free is free, and like it or not Epic is doing a lot more for the developer than Valve is these days.

Thx, snagged it, never played one and my last laptop couldn't play it. i3 370, radeon 5650, 8gb.
Good, you can download it whenever you want.
Really surprised there are PC gamers without this game in their library already.

Wanted to play it but didn't think my poor old i3 could. Aldo, I'm a filthy pirate.

People like me who had kids 5 and 8 years ago and haven't gamed or kept up since they were born are happy to have this! Finally getting free time to game a bit and my "good old days" of gaming was PS2 GTA games and that era.

People like me who had kids 5 and 8 years ago and haven't gamed or kept up since they were born are happy to have this! Finally getting free time to game a bit and my "good old days" of gaming was PS2 GTA games and that era.
98018258_3225509110897808_3214484091332198400_n.jpg
Guy, that's what birth control is for. J/king :p
I should open up a game store and include condoms in inventory.

jumped on my pc at 8pm last night and I was able to download the EGS and claim a copy pretty easily, the initial rush must of died down lol

Back