cageymaru

Fully [H]
Seven investment firms have invested $1.25 billion into Epic Games. In a statement it was said that KKR, ICONIQ Capital, Smash Ventures, aXiomatic, Vulcan Capital, Kleiner Perkins, and Lightspeed Venture Partners share the same vision to be at the forefront of technology, esports, entertainment, and live events as Epic. This has led them to create a strategic partnership with Epic Games. Tim Sweeney still maintains control of Epic Games and the new investors join Tencent, Disney and Endeavor as minority shareholders.

"We're excited to partner with the finest minds in the financial, sports, and entertainment communities. This reinforces Epic's position of leadership in real-time 3D technology, and accelerates our ability to improve the way people play, work, and interact with the world," said Sweeney.

Maybe now they can afford to make fortnite come to Linux, they have the whole engine already ready for Linux, engine tools ready for Linux. All they need to do is just do it.

Hell, there's no real competition for a battle Royale game on Linux either, they'd have effectively market dominance.

They just need to do it.

Maybe now they can afford to make fortnite come to Linux, they have the whole engine already ready for Linux, engine tools ready for Linux. All they need to do is just do it.

Hell, there's no real competition for a battle Royale game on Linux either, they'd have effectively market dominance.

They just need to do it.

Step 1: Get people to use Linux

Aww, you beat me too it. Market Dominance over the ~20,000 users who are exclusively using Linux as their only OS on their machine and who are not double booting a Windows 7 or 10 OS for gaming purposes. Anyone whose smart enough to find their way around in Linux, use the command prompts, shell scripting, etc is more than capable of setting up a dual boot for gaming on Windows 7/10 in under 15-30 minutes.

Fortnite is available on everything already. The fact it’s not on Linux shows how little market share Linux has.

The way you do that is with a killer app, i.e. Lotus, Wordstar, Word... And for Linux it could be Steam, Fortnight etc... Don't be a h8r, gaming on linux keeps getting better.

Change the name from Epic to Epic Sellout. They just gave Epic $1.25 billion, and they expect to get that money back. And with a better return than their other investments. Epic is gonna have to put a LOT of sugar in their Cocoa Puffs because they need the kids to buy that shit. There won't be any free prizes at the bottom of the box, either, if you want the Epic Cocoa Blaster Decoder Gun you're gonna have to send $25.00 and all the numbers from your dad's credit card.

Epic is gonna have to skip Loot Boxes and go straight to Loot Whore Boxes.

Last edited:
I just want to know, from who was the money stolen from,,, as this seem to be the MO of these sleazebag venture / capital companies.

My kids are already playing a lot less fortnite and going back to other games. This is a few months late in my opinion. Where's the T-shirts everywhere, halloween costumes, etc. That stuff would have sold likely crazy. Battle royale is completely overrated IMHO. I've had so much more fun with other games and game modes that I think it has way more to do with the game being free, cross platform, and having high player counts, big world size, etc. I guess I think it's popular in spite of battle royale. If it had just been 100 player TDM or 100 player Squads I think it would be as popular. And I'd definitely enjoy it more. I loathe playing the game and the match making only lets you group up with 4 people total which is pathetic when it supports 100 players in a game.

Let's see them actually put some real man hours into the new UT instead of relying on the community to finish it for them. Better be closer to a UT99 remake and not a UT2k4/UT3 clone.
UT3 was a bag of dicks but I enjoyed the fuck out of some late night UT2k4 sessions
First thing that came to my mind.

But realistically, it doesn't make them any money so sadly I fear UT is dead. :(
Fuck it, battle royale UT has to have some money value in it right?

Not sure what battle royale is but ok.
Japanese movie where a class of high schoolers are all put on an island with weapons and told to kill each other. Also the name given to the type of game following the same formula, e.g. PubeG and Fortnite. Also the game modes coming to the battlefield and CoD series.

Japanese movie where a class of high schoolers are all put on an island with weapons and told to kill each other.

Saw that one a long time ago.

How do you transition a Arena shooter into a game like Fortnite where you build things, that sounds terrible.

Are you completely unaware, or just ignoring, that the engine it runs on is completely native for Linux, the tools are native for Linux, and EPIC actually STILL advertises, and lists, on their website that the engine is completely ready to go for Linux?

People are already gaming on Linux, get over it, I'm so tired of having that boring "discussion" time and time again...

Haven't read the article, but I'm not surprised. Unreal Engine is being used in all kinds of media, not just games.

I saw a video on the net within the past couple months where Weather Channel was using UE (), found this () promo video that demonstrates that. I think there was another case where UE was used for sports news or something. If people are licensing it for numerous types of media, I can understand why Epic is popular with investors.

Edit: Didn't realize the videos would pop out the way they did, F it, leaving it that way.

Saw that one a long time ago.

How do you transition a Arena shooter into a game like Fortnite where you build things, that sounds terrible.

Go play UT99 and look for a custom game mode called Siege. Been around for many years.

Go play UT99 and look for a custom game mode called Siege. Been around for many years.

Huh, been playing UT99 since it came out, never heard of it. Videos on Youtube look like Onslaught from 2K3/4 on foot.

Huh, been playing UT99 since it came out, never heard of it. Videos on Youtube look like Onslaught from 2K3/4 on foot.

I said go play it.

This is a popular server that runs the game mode.
https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/66.150.121.123:7777/

If you've played it since '99, then you should have seen this mod a decade ago when it first came out.

While not completely like the current battle royale games where you build stuff it's still Unreal Tournament where you can build things like base defenses to defend your base.

I said go play it.

This is a popular server that runs the game mode.
https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/66.150.121.123:7777/

If you've played it since '99, then you should have seen this mod a decade ago when it first came out.

While not completely like the current battle royale games where you build stuff it's still Unreal Tournament where you can build things like base defenses to defend your base.

I think I remember something perhaps, its been a long time since I followed any of the mods for it. I might check it out, thanks for the server link.

I'm not a big fan of it, but it's really popular.

This money will go into setting up tournaments. Venue and prize money. Setting up leagues, etc.

Not my cup of tea, but that is where this is headed

So can we make UT great again or what?

4BBBFF6A-524F-42E3-9627-521339D3BF1F.jpeg

Just adking since I saw a few reference to UT. From memory isn't COD based on Q3A ?
...If so, why is people expecting better results lol ?

Are you completely unaware, or just ignoring, that the engine it runs on is completely native for Linux, the tools are native for Linux, and EPIC actually STILL advertises, and lists, on their website that the engine is completely ready to go for Linux?

People are already gaming on Linux, get over it, I'm so tired of having that boring "discussion" time and time again...

Doesn't that just make your argument all the worse, so you are saying that fortnite isn't on Linux dispite the engine being all ready for Linux, which means that even with one of the lowest barriers to getting the job done Linux is so far under the radar they still haven't bothered to do it. That is amazing given that Unreal is an engine and fortnite is a great place to show off what it can do getting it on nearly every platform. I think that makes his point crystal clear, step 1 get users. The fundamental problem with Linux users is they are always blaming everyone else for why no one uses Linux or ports to Linux. Stop blaming everyone else and start making the free OS more attractive and the customers will come.

Doesn't that just make your argument all the worse, so you are saying that fortnite isn't on Linux dispite the engine being all ready for Linux, which means that even with one of the lowest barriers to getting the job done Linux is so far under the radar they still haven't bothered to do it. That is amazing given that Unreal is an engine and fortnite is a great place to show off what it can do getting it on nearly every platform. I think that makes his point crystal clear, step 1 get users. The fundamental problem with Linux users is they are always blaming everyone else for why no one uses Linux or ports to Linux. Stop blaming everyone else and start making the free OS more attractive and the customers will come.

It doesn’t help that Linux is so heavily fragmented. One of Linux’s Greatest strengths is also it’s greatest weakness, there are too many flavours which creates too many support pathways, so if this did come out I wouldn’t be surprised if it was only officially supported on Ubuntu or something. Sure you could get it working elsewhere with only minor troubles but then you get all sorts of performance variables which leads to complaints with no real ROI.

It doesn’t help that Linux is so heavily fragmented. One of Linux’s Greatest strengths is also it’s greatest weakness, there are too many flavours which creates too many support pathways, so if this did come out I wouldn’t be surprised if it was only officially supported on Ubuntu or something. Sure you could get it working elsewhere with only minor troubles but then you get all sorts of performance variables which leads to complaints with no real ROI.

Yes I have engaged in many long discussions here about this where I proposed to the Linux community that they stop forking constantly and start consolidating. Without fail the Linux proponents will come and defends all the forks. Sometimes a culture is just so broken it cant be fixed because the core mindset of the people who are attracted to that culture is so stuck in their ways. There was a time when Ubuntu looked like it was gaining serious traction and was going to be it, haha look what happened a bunch of people had a hissy fit and forked to mint splitting the community in half.

Back